West Vancouver Blue Bus

BCT-3122-D800-10240

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2018 at 7:04 PM, 8010 said:

I'm curious to know if they finally fixed the stupid angled doors 17501-17505 have, don't get me wrong the 2017 ARBOCs are nice shuttles, but the doors...

I'm going to jump the gun here and say not. On the Spirit of Mobility ARBOCs, the angled doors are a feature, not a defect. The ARBOC model with the door parallel to the body is the Spirit of Freedom.

58 minutes ago, SidneyTransitfan said:

I'm going to jump the gun here and say not. On the Spirit of Mobility ARBOCs, the angled doors are a feature, not a defect. The ARBOC model with the door parallel to the body is the Spirit of Freedom.

As a transit vehicle that has to stop at fixed bus stops that are parallel to the body I think the angled doors are a terrible feature. The problem with Spirit of Freedom shuttles is that their maximum length is 27 feet where our shuttle lengths (Girardin and ARBOC) are a little longer I believe. I asked TransLink about the angled doors and they are aware that it's a bit of an issue.

3 hours ago, 8010 said:

As a transit vehicle that has to stop at fixed bus stops that are parallel to the body I think the angled doors are a terrible feature. The problem with Spirit of Freedom shuttles is that their maximum length is 27 feet where our shuttle lengths (Girardin and ARBOC) are a little longer I believe. I asked TransLink about the angled doors and they are aware that it's a bit of an issue.

BC Transit has ordered ARBOC Spirit of Mobilitys (with the angled doors) for the past 8 years and there hasn't been a problem. It's just a learning curve for the operator. 

12 minutes ago, Matt Dunlop said:

BC Transit has ordered ARBOC Spirit of Mobilitys (with the angled doors) for the past 8 years and there hasn't been a problem. It's just a learning curve for the operator. 

But AIUI TransLink runs its cutaways on an unusually-hard duty cycle, more so than the provincial fleet. That’s part of why we have so many problems with them and have to replace them so quickly.

2 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

But AIUI TransLink runs its cutaways on an unusually-hard duty cycle, more so than the provincial fleet. That’s part of why we have so many problems with them and have to replace them so quickly.

I haven't seen any evidence that TransLink retires its' cutaways any earlier than BC Transit does. The exception to this of course was the order of International Champions, which were retired due to defects, and unsuitability for transit style service.

1 hour ago, SidneyTransitfan said:

The exception to this of course was the order of International Champions, which were retired due to defects, and unsuitability for transit style service.

IIRC they were able to sell them fairly easily, since the defects only were an issue for the kind of heavy-duty transit service TransLink was using them for. If you're using them as non-stop shuttles, they're fine.

Also, at least they weren't as bad as the original Orion III community buses!

5 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

IIRC they were able to sell them fairly easily, since the defects only were an issue for the kind of heavy-duty transit service TransLink was using them for. If you're using them as non-stop shuttles, they're fine.

Also, at least they weren't as bad as the original Orion III community buses!

An Orion III: 95-york-mills-05.jpg (from transit toronto)

I think you mean an Orion II!

3 hours ago, rulerduler said:

The 2 ex cmbc busses that got transferred to wvmt. Will they keep the same fleet numbers or changed to wvmt style?

If the transfer is temporary it will keep its fleet number but since this is a permanent transfer, which I assume it is, I will most likely be renumbered to the WVMT numbering. They will most likely be renumbered 1606 and 1607. 

25 minutes ago, Thomasw said:

If the transfer is temporary it will keep its fleet number but since this is a permanent transfer, which I assume it is, I will most likely be renumbered to the WVMT numbering. They will most likely be renumbered 1606 and 1607. 

But then there's 17501-17505 and 18501-18509...

From the evidence presented here, shuttles are not renumbered - Conventional buses are. The most likely reason shuttles are not renumbered is they are usually in service for less than six years, and it's easier to transfer them between fleets without having to change the numbers all the time.
Conventional bus transfers are much longer term, and therefore they are the ones that get renumbered.

• Like 5