West Vancouver Blue Bus

BCT-3122-D800-10240

Ok, it seems there is no seperate topic for West Vancouver discussion and it's hard looking for West Vancouver discussion in the sightings threads.

In recent months West Vancouver has received more buses transferred from Burnaby and other garages which I believe include Nova LFS40102 #'s 703, 704, and NFI D60LFR #712 with at least two more on the way from what I have heard.

This brings me to my question, I wonder if these units will eventually get the darker blue like other West Vancouver units already in the fleet like 701, 702, 801-803?

Ok, it seems there is no seperate topic for West Vancouver discussion and it's hard looking for West Vancouver discussion in the sightings threads.

In recent months West Vancouver has received more buses transferred from Burnaby and other garages which I believe include Nova LFS40102 #'s 703, 704, and NFI D60LFR #712 with at least two more on the way from what I have heard.

This brings me to my question, I wonder if these units will eventually get the darker blue like other West Vancouver units already in the fleet like 701, 702, 801-803?

From what I was told by one of my West Van driver friends all nova's except for 981 are leased from translink. Also translink plans to lease out 4 more novas to West Van, they will all be 2007. So don't be shocked if you see nova's up to 708. But starting in December they will be receiving brand new 2009 Nova's, and these ones will NOT be leased from translink, West Van WILL own them. Plus they won't be hybrid models they will be diesel. Now as for the artics; they only plan on having three: 712, 713, 714; the artics will also be leased to West Van. So peter i hope this answers your question, no they will not be receiving the darker blue.

Bryan Gal

From what I was told by one of my West Van driver friends all nova's except for 981 are leased from translink. Also translink plans to lease out 4 more novas to West Van, they will all be 2007. So don't be shocked if you see nova's up to 708. But starting in December they will be receiving brand new 2009 Nova's, and these ones will NOT be leased from translink, West Van WILL own them. Plus they won't be hybrid models they will be diesel. Now as for the artics; they only plan on having three: 712, 713, 714; the artics will also be leased to West Van. So peter i hope this answers your question, no they will not be receiving the darker blue.

Neat! Thanks for the info, Bryan! How many of the new Nova's will West Vancouver be getting? Will they be sending the leased Nova's back to Translink? Or are the Orion's being retired?

Neat! Thanks for the info, Bryan! How many of the new Nova's will West Vancouver be getting? Will they be sending the leased Nova's back to Translink? Or are the Orion's being retired?

From what I was told, the 2009 order is to replace the Orion's; so i figure 8 buses. But i know they'll be numbered 9XX, so its quite possible we could see them as 901-909. As for the leased buses, I'm not sure what their long term plans are for them.

Bryan Gal

From what I was told, the 2009 order is to replace the Orion's; so i figure 8 buses. But i know they'll be numbered 9XX, so its quite possible we could see them as 901-909. As for the leased buses, I'm not sure what their long term plans are for them.

Interesting. Going to miss the Orion I as they have been workhorse for many years down the road!

If they are ordering their own LFS, this means the transmission order will be going back to Voith, as they have been ordering their own since the D40LF.

Interesting. Going to miss the Orion I as they have been workhorse for many years down the road!

If they are ordering their own LFS, this means the transmission order will be going back to Voith, as they have been ordering their own since the D40LF.

And don't forget that when those D40LF's were ordered for West Vancouver, it was part of the BC Transit Small Communities orders.

West Vancouver has been receiving buses from SCBCTA for two reasons, totally separate.

First, West Van simply doesn't have the finances required to acquire new vehicles that would be needed to replace their quickly aging fleet. In past West Van had either bought buses outright on their own (Orions and some 90's NFI D40LF's), or had the vehicles bought out from TL at a substantial mark down (de facto subsidization of WVT by Translink).

More recently this wasn't possible, so the acquisition of the 700 and 800 series Nova's (most recent additions excluded) was billed to Translink, and then leased to West Van at a very nominal rate. The reason for this agreement was service increases that were essentially imposed on West Vancouver, that did not necessarily directly benefit West Vancouver. 255's extension to Capilano University being the main reason behind this.

Secondly, the service agreement that West Vancouver has with SCBCTA demands vehicles that are in line with what's being used in the rest of Metro Vancouver. This precludes, generally, the purchase of used vehicles which is likely all West Van could afford (if that) for quite some time. Even the forthcoming West Van buses aren't really 100% West Van like they used to be, they're still through SCBCTA. I guess we'll have to wait and see what paint they'll wear - I wouldn't be suprised if that decision hasn't even been made.

I don't know how many buses were ordered, but in June when I saw their budget sheet the line item figured seemed low for 8 vehicles, but they could have gotten a deal, or there is cross subsidization (again).

I don't know how many buses were ordered, but in June when I saw their budget sheet the line item figured seemed low for 8 vehicles, but they could have gotten a deal, or there is cross subsidization (again).

It would make sense for West Vancouver to piggy-back off of the Vancouver order. Save on costs.

Chris Cassidy

I believe 713 has yet to be spotted, but Bryan did say he has not seen 8103 in a while, and it makes logical sense to assume that 8103 is destined to become West Van 713, since I confirmed when I took the above shot that 714 was formerly 8104. It could be sitting in West Van's yard getting its makeover at this point, since 912 is still running.

I wonder if there is any point in hoping they might hold on to 912 for the time being... I was thinking about the West Van situation a couple of days ago, and in my mind, given that the D60LFRs are entering service just a mere month before school starts up again, a D60 could be used for the 258. A couple of years ago it was not unheard of to see West Van running D60s out to UBC, particularly in the mornings (I have photos of this). It's probably only wishful thinking, though. They've done fine with just three artics for several years now...

Here are a couple of shots of bus 913 at UBC doing route 258.

913 left

913 right

From what I remember being told when I was at the West Vancouver Garage with you and Andrew, they were not planning on letting the D60's go until after the 2010 games.

Yeah, I remember that too. That being said, 913 and 914 are currently sitting at the back of OTC with the retired CMBC equipment. That doesn't necessarily mean they're done for good, but I was surprised, because I remember his exact words being "we'll keep them as spares". Can't do much with a spare bus that's sitting in a boneyard 30 odd kilometres away...

I wonder if there is any point in hoping they might hold on to 912 for the time being... I was thinking about the West Van situation a couple of days ago, and in my mind, given that the D60LFRs are entering service just a mere month before school starts up again, a D60 could be used for the 258. A couple of years ago it was not unheard of to see West Van running D60s out to UBC, particularly in the mornings (I have photos of this). It's probably only wishful thinking, though. They've done fine with just three artics for several years now...

A D60 would make sense for some 258 runs so that they don't have to run 2 40' buses, which was the case quite often during the 8:00AM run when I was still in Vancouver a year ago. I never really understood why the 3 artics were needed on some 257 runs since the load percentage wasn't that high if it didn't connect with a ferry at Horseshoe Bay.

• 4 months later...
B9604 on the 258 today at UBC!

Those vinyl decals sure don't hold up well where the ad used to be, it just makes the scheme look horrible...

Since this bus was on the list that Evan put up on Transit Vancouver as being stored, does it mean WV is going to get at least 9601 and possibly a couple more up to 9611 since 9601 + 9604-9611 are marked as stored? (WV has 9602 and 9603 already as 703/704, correct?)

I don't think these buses will be staying in West Vancouver personally as we know West Van tends to put their own numbers on the buses before service. Now since these buses where still listed on the CMBC roster, but under stored, I think these might just be loaners for the Olympics.

Just think of all the extra people coming in on the ferries to/from Horseshoe Bay, the 258 is busy enough, never mind with the Olympics. Now WV only has 3 artics, 712-714, and I don't think the WV D60's will be brought back sooooo....we could see WV D60LF's. B8001-B8008 are listed as "stored" so they could just be like 9604 and 9606, stored for CMBC but in service for WV!

Logic at work my friends :lol:

Chris Cassidy

I don't think these buses will be staying in West Vancouver personally as we know West Van tends to put their own numbers on the buses before service. Now since these buses where still listed on the CMBC roster, but under stored, I think these might just be loaners for the Olympics.

Just think of all the extra people coming in on the ferries to/from Horseshoe Bay, the 258 is busy enough, never mind with the Olympics. Now WV only has 3 artics, 712-714, and I don't think the WV D60's will be brought back sooooo....we could see WV D60LF's. B8001-B8008 are listed as "stored" so they could just be like 9604 and 9606, stored for CMBC but in service for WV!

Logic at work my friends <_<

Chris Cassidy

This is my personal take on it..........

Currently, 9 Novabus LFSes are listed as "stored" on CMBC's roster. For the duration of the Olympics, these are probably used as extra buses to support the expanded service during the games. While this is merely a personal guess, I can't help to think the quantity of Novabuses transferred to West Vancouver (assuming, 9601, 9604-9611 will all end up being transferred to West Vancouver) also coincidentally matches the amount of Orion Is operated by West Van Transit: 921-929, 9 is the magic number once again!

So, here's my point: while I'm certainly not looking forward to my assumption turning into reality after the Olympics...........I have a bad feeling that these will soon become replacements for the 1992 Orion Is, which are expected to be retired after the Olympics, along with the CMBC 1991-1992 D40s.

Dave