BusRider

Failed Photos

1 hour ago, Joshuamumble said:

This pole happened to be in the way so I could keep out people waiting and the front end from the shot:

Clever use of the pole. I did that once to keep the driver, who was seated in the bus, out of the photo. Kinda got in the way of the bus itself, but kept the drivers privacy. Still turned out decent enough.

• Thanks 1

These two photos did not come out right at all. My iPhone just wouldn't focus. In the case of the first photo, I was too close to the bus to get all of it in the frame plus it was unfocused. The second just refused to focus but would have been decent otherwise.

C3888E96-792F-45B8-9D29-5A51AA07DCE4.jpeg

FD065F07-6013-4422-A28E-AC771F874AA9.jpeg

This is a photo I took in Victoria, BC eleven years ago, with BC Transit 929.

Photography was an entirely new thing for me and I had yet to learn the constraints of the obsolete point-and-shoot I was using at the time. On the other hand, it looks pretty artistic.

classic_flyby_by_foxfan1992_d4mxl9z-fullview.jpg

Here's a bit of a baffling photo that I was wondering if someone would be able to weigh in on.

For the longest time I was an automatic brat and never gave much consideration to the technical hows-and-whys of photography: I turned on my camera and shot, and as I upgraded my cameras throughout the years, I found that the picture quality got better, but I never bothered to pay much attention to why a photo might fail or anything like that.

I only started learning manual fairly recently, and after an unfortunate occurrence with my new camera where the automatic mode most unfortunately selected a shutter speed of 1/100 for some moving photos I was trying to do of the TTC's pride bus, I have begun to watch my shutter speeds like a hawk.

Here is a photo I took yesterday. 50137482973_b5556943a5_z.jpgIMG_0749 raw by T3G, on Flickr

When zoomed out, there is nothing seriously wrong with the photo (apart from the dull colours, which I have corrected on another version of this file in DPP - the link here is unedited except to be exported as a JPG). The shutter is fast (1/1000), and ISO is low. But I find that when I zoom in on the photo to +50% or +100% to scrutinize it (as has been my practice for many years), the details seem to be sub-optimal.

SJ2P41R.png

This was shot on my 18-55 mm kit lens for a Canon SL3, so I understand that as far as lenses go this is not particularly a cream of the crop lens. However, I upgraded from a Canon Powershot SX530 HS, which should by all accounts have inferior glass when compared to even a DSLR kit lens, and at fast shutter speeds I have never encountered anything on that machine like what I encountered here. This isn't the first time this has happened on this camera, either.

The SX530 didn't have the best LCD screen, so very early on I adopted the practice of taking 2-4 photographs during a singular photo opportunity, which has saved my bacon on many occasions over the last 5 years where one shot failed, but another succeeded. It didn't occur to me before, but perhaps doing so moving forward could yield useful results, especially since moving bus photos have so many ways for things to go wrong at the best times. Even so, does anyone happen to know what caused this? Is this bad luck? Is something wrong with my settings or my lens? Any and all insights would be appreciated.

I think I still have them but I was taking pictures of buses when I was a kid with my new disposable camera as they were coming down the road. Went to develop them and every picture was a blurry bus or I get just the rear r no bus at all. 

Not really a failed photo per se but I wasn't sure where else to bring this topic up.

I have become extremely conscious of the positioning of straight lines in my photos after a user on Facebook passively-aggressively reacted with sad react everytime I posted a photo that had its positioning slightly off, like this one.

16945604442_c3ac7b4594_z.jpgDPB 7120 - 04 by T3G, on Flickr

Even though I don't like his methods it has made me more conscious of trying to keep my photos straight, so the end result is, I feel, rather positive.

What I wanted to do though was to get some input on what to do when the vehicle itself is not positioned straight in relation to the rest of the world (i.e. it's on an uneven piece of road). Here is an example shot.

zpT9yIx.png

The bus looks visually perfect (to me), but the scenery in the background is wonky.

5phU9v0.png

I can, of course, rotate the photo to get the background level, but now I don't like the way the photo looks as a whole. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on which approach is better? I can't help but shake the feeling that even though I like the base example shot better, the impression that it gives off is one of wild unprofessionalism.

Of course, that's an example of a relatively mild contrast in scene alignment. If I had something more extreme like this (photo unfortunately not mine), I would, of course, compose the photo for the mountain in the background and not the tram.

7761-7762-na-Kr%C4%8Dacoch.jpg?243452250

You're photos are fine.  Don't think of it as wonky, but rather artistic flair.  Sometimes the strangest photos end up the most endearing because they are one of a kind. Don't apologize because something is crooked, but rather be proud of a photo that expresses what you want in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/17/2020 at 5:25 PM, PCC Guy said:

Not really a failed photo per se but I wasn't sure where else to bring this topic up.

I have become extremely conscious of the positioning of straight lines in my photos after a user on Facebook passively-aggressively reacted with sad react everytime I posted a photo that had its positioning slightly off, like this one.

Even though I don't like his methods it has made me more conscious of trying to keep my photos straight, so the end result is, I feel, rather positive.

What I wanted to do though was to get some input on what to do when the vehicle itself is not positioned straight in relation to the rest of the world (i.e. it's on an uneven piece of road). Here is an example shot.

The bus looks visually perfect (to me), but the scenery in the background is wonky.

I can, of course, rotate the photo to get the background level, but now I don't like the way the photo looks as a whole. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on which approach is better? I can't help but shake the feeling that even though I like the base example shot better, the impression that it gives off is one of wild unprofessionalism.

No one is perfect. I will slightly rotate my images if needed to straighten out the background. Depends upon the lens too. If you're shooting really wide angle you can end up with distortion too which I find can really make photos look crooked if you're not paying attention. 

Frankly, I do prefer your second image of 1297. The first image I do find it noticeable that the building doesn't have straight lines, even if the bus does. My mind tells me that the bus is on a bridge/ ramp/ incline so I'm not expecting the bus to be perfectly square in the shot. I'm not going to say I'm nitpicky over this, but, I probably am. I will correct my images, but, usually just "good enough" if it's for basic displaying on the internet.

Case in point this image from today:
DSC00512-10-19-2020.thumb.jpg.c537f4d6b33ad4b3979d990adc872a23.jpgets1073-DSC00512-10-19-2020.thumb.jpg.8e1b2c99a3fd354469b58f39bf6d3ab2.jpg
It wasn't much. I think it was 1.5 degrees. I also cropped it a bit when I rotated it. I probably spent 1 minute on, and the original image is untouched.

• Thanks 1