Aaaaand 830 is officially on the 81... and already in livery, like all the Moncton buses. Not sure what Dieppe is waiting for. Maybe they're going to be special and have their own design or something?

22553349_1720385847981202_5610389167748914418_o.jpg

• Like 2

I imagine Dieppe didn't want the faded spots from the old livery on their buses, and Codiac might be unwilling to reopen that can of worms with 850. Right now, it's only the Dieppe buses that don't have the green and gold branding, correct?

Additionally, I know that 530, 700, and 701 each had a large logo from their respective owner on the side and 430 and 450 had their respective community's crest on the side (similar to the city of Moncton crest on the 40x buses); is that something that's gone with the new branding?

700, 701, and a spot under the sign board on one of the 500s, where someone cut corners... :P As far as 830, it seems to be lacking any giant Riverview logos and just have standard, current Codiac green and gold wave branding. I'm guessing they might be pushing for uniformity across the fleet, not to mention that these giant logos started peeling a couple years later (the Dieppe ones were removed after a few years, of course).

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some kind of dispute where Dieppe wanted to have 850 match their other two, while Codiac wants them to adopt the new branding, or something. Nobody familiar with Dieppe would be surprised, I think...

I think I saw that one; gut instinct says 504? for that one.

@Resurgo: Just curious, but have you seen anything that would either prove or disprove my theory for replacements from yesterday (813 doing the 70/71, 815 on the 51, and 816 on the 61)?

Okay, so I did a bit of snooping around: 813 is on the 70/71 combo, 816 is on the 51, 815 is in the shop and 603 is doing the 61, so that must be the Elmwood bus; 817 is also confirmed on the 64.

Edit: 830 has much more reasonably sized (compared to 530) community logos in the windows at the rear, too... 

I swear I've spied a couple more new ones in the shop, too including what looked to be numbered 851(?). I thought that was it for now, though... So, I'm not sure if my eyes were playing tricks on me or if there's even more to come. Will keep you guys posted; this is getting interesting, after 7-8 years of nothing new previous to this.

Thanks for the update, @Resurgo!

So my theory only had two buses off, not bad. As of now, the only route that has a 5xx or 6xx bus as its primary bus is the 80, which has 530 on it, although I'm curious which bus will be the permanent spare on the 68 (that route seems to have 720 as its primary bus).

Give me a bit and I'll post up what seemed to be the progression of "primary" buses from this year

Quick edit: @Articulated, technically, for the wiki, this means that 816 is what replaced 409 and 815 is what replaced 513. I can get you the trackers for which buses got replaced by the 800-808 series as well for completedness, if you'd like

As promised, attached is a CSV listing which buses seem to be primarily on which routes.

The first group of columns is weekdays, the second is Saturdays, and the third is Sundays. Within each group, the first column is from before 800-808 arrived, the second is from before 810-817, 830, and 850 arrived, and the third is now.

codiac assignments.csv

codiac assignments.csv

codiac assignments.csv

codiac assignments.csv

codiac assignments.csv

codiac assignments.csv

codiac assignments.csv

codiac assignments.csv

codiac assignments.csv

codiac assignments.csv

codiac assignments.csv

codiac assignments.csv

codiac assignments.csv

codiac assignments.csv

codiac assignments.csv

codiac assignments.csv

codiac assignments.csv

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Resurgo said:

FYI - 851 confirmed... So that's 11 for this batch (so far?) and 20 total to this day...

Do you know if 851 is already in use on one of the Dieppe runs? If so, it might mean the retirement of one of the 700s (unless that's being kept on as a Dieppe spare...)

I've not actually seen it being used yet, but it's on the tracker and I had seen it in the shop two days ago. Going by shaky memory of many years ago, when 304 and 305 became "surplus," they were just used like any other Classic and not specific to Riverview or Dieppe. So, we might see that with 700 or 701... That said, I think it's 700 that seems to have a fair bit of issues (kind of like 720), so you never know...

Based on that, I also noticed that 700 and 701 swapped routes yesterday (701 was 93 rush, 700 was 94 all day) after 700 wasn’t being used Tuesday afternoon, so 700 might be retired already or something. I do remember a few years ago when 701 had to be sent back to Nova for something, so I wasn’t sure which of those two was the “720”

As a follow-up, 701 was last used on Wednesday morning, so it might be the one getting the bump for 851, and 700 is on the 94 so Codiac only has to use a spare for Dieppe during peak times. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out

Back lot this afternoon... 510, 511, 513, 514 and it looks like one more of the older LFS, as well as remaining RTS and Classics, of course...

IMG_20171027_154114386_BURST001.jpg

3 hours ago, ROSeaboyer said:

As a follow-up, 701 was last used on Wednesday morning, so it might be the one getting the bump for 851, and 700 is on the 94 so Codiac only has to use a spare for Dieppe during peak times. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens with this... As I said, one of the two was more problematic than the other, so I'm guessing that's how they'll determine which one gets pulled. It was the one that was originally on the Amirault route, if memory serves me right, which was 701 if I remember correctly.

I imagine it'll become a spare, but then again 720 is still in service on the 68, despite its record.

Yep, that was 701. 700 was Champlain, 701 was Amirault, and 450 was the Express Dieppe, with 700 doing the Champlain and Amirault and 701 on the Express Dieppe (or Express Diep, which is how it was displayed for a few months after I moved to Moncton in 2011). 701 is also the one that was sent back to Nova for a few months in 2012 (starting before the lockout). And with 511 out back as well, does this mean that there might be additional Moncton buses in the new order that just haven't been added to the tracker yet?

Last run days for the ex-STM buses: 511 was on the 16th, 512 was on the 8th, 515 and 516 were on the 18th, and 530 was today.

Last run days for the Codiac non-accessible buses: 500 was on the 17th, 501 and 502 were both on the 25th, and 503 was the 18th.

Either there's more on the verge of hitting the road already or it could be that a 500 is being retired because 701 is being added to the spare pool...It's another one of those wait and see moments because again, we're at 11 already when everyone thought the order was for 9.

Makes you wonder if the 5 for 2018 will turn into another 11 or something... At this rate, even the spares are going to be brand new. lol

Haha yep; nothing new from the tracker since 851 got added. It is still 700 covering the 94 Centrale, but that could also just be because Dieppe didn't want 701 as a primary anymore. If I suddenly see a change on that route, I'll make a mention of it, but I find the tracker isn't the most accurate on weekends if a bus breaks down or gets swapped out (not to mention that the 66, 67, and 68 regularly aren't trackable on the weekends and there's usually at least one other route that doesn't show up on Saturdays)

Looks like nothing new after 851, so that might be it for now... Odd things going on today, though...

50 - 806
51 - 601, 603, 720
52 - 505, 600, 808

60 - 817
61 - 515
61B - 815
62 - 506
63 - 812
64 - 804
64B - ?
65 - 500
66 - ?
67 - ?
68 - ?
70/71 - 805
80 - ?
81 - 830
93 - ?
94 - 508
95 - 850

Yeah, not quite sure what they're waiting for to get 851 going... Logic would dictate that 850 and 851 will be the two primary and I'm guessing 700 will come in during rush hour... 701 hasn't been seen in a while, other than parked in the garage.

As for all the subs, I'm guessing maintenance or inspection time, but I just found it odd this morning when I gave the tracker a look out of curiosity and everything's all upside down...

Just now, ROSeaboyer said:

It might also be the beginnings of regular fleet rotation, like they do in Fredericton and Saint John. Each route seems to get a different bus daily, almost entirely at random.

Which is the way that every other system does it. Honestly it's not great for one segment of your fleet to be racking up significant daily usage, while the other segment may never go out once in a week.

With the large amount of 2016-2017 buses, it makes sense to rotate the fleet more to even out the kilometres. One reason is that new buses come with warranties that expire after a certain time period (1 or 3 years is pretty standard) or a certain number of kilometres; to maximize the efficiency of the warranty, you want to hit the km around the same time as the year. Running a bus on all day shifts 7 days a week will reach the km limit much sooner.

As for Dieppe units, it wouldn't surprise me if they keep all 4 buses for Dieppe. Three buses in service with the 4th unit rotated as a spare for whenever a Dieppe-branded bus is out of service for maintenance.

That would make sense, given that roughly half the fleet is brand new, otherwise some would quickly rack up the miles (and wear) spending ~16 hours a day on the road, while others (66 for example) might see half of those kms or hours. Good point on the warranty, too...

33 minutes ago, Articulated said:

As for Dieppe units, it wouldn't surprise me if they keep all 4 buses for Dieppe. Three buses in service with the 4th unit rotated as a spare for whenever a Dieppe-branded bus is out of service for maintenance.

They *do* love to do their own thing... I'm surprised they haven't tried to make and run their own, completely independent system.

The buses were scrambled again today, so fleet rotation is gaining traction in my mind (puns NOT intended). Still no sign of a possibility for 851, unless somehow 508's been retired (that was on 94 for all day yesterday and the first half of today). Of course, Dieppe might finally be getting the updated branding, which might explain why two of their four buses aren't out at the moment (not holding my breath on this though lol)

On 10/26/2017 at 8:29 AM, ROSeaboyer said:

Based on that, I also noticed that 700 and 701 swapped routes yesterday (701 was 93 rush, 700 was 94 all day) after 700 wasn’t being used Tuesday afternoon, so 700 might be retired already or something. I do remember a few years ago when 701 had to be sent back to Nova for something, so I wasn’t sure which of those two was the “720”

Funny you mention this. I got a photo of 701 at the Prevost Facility in St-Nicolas back in 2012.

35901412811_d3e105fe78_o.jpgCODT-701-13112012-01 by Joseph McArdle, on Flickr

• Like 1