Jump to content

Missing in Action buses


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

1044 & 1075 received new plates late last month, only to lose them a few weeks later lol. I have a strong feeling that 1105, 1114, 1125 & 1139 are pooched for good. Some of them haven’t moved for over a month

I had the list but forgot it when I left work. I do remember 1044 and 1075 are retired. The Presto readers have been removed. All of the retired units need engines but also have much needed parts which are no longer available to repair other units that already have new engines . I'll confirm the remaining retired units tomorrow.

 

1 hour ago, Articulated said:

Quite the opposite - I'm legitimately shocked to hear that the TTC is removing license plates from buses and not replacing them for days.

Why are they deplating buses? There is usually no need to do that unless the bus is being retired, or the plate has been confiscated by the relevant authorities. And if it's as simple as replacing a license plate that's worn out - they should be able to put the new plate on immediately after taking the old one off, not leave the bus sitting out of service for days if not weeks at a time.

The plates being replaced are worn out and peeling. Many of them were just permanent marker on bare aluminum. Ideally when re plating any vehicle still requiring a validation sticker, the old plates should be returned at the same time the new ones are issued to receive maximum reimbursement for the cost of the sticker if it still valid (prorated of course). This is usually done while the bus is out of service for MTO repairs and is the case for all the ones that received new plates today. The ones that were out of service for weeks needed engines but are now being retired. Those plates will be returned to the MTO and the sticker $$$ will be returned to the piggy bank. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Articulated said:

Quite the opposite - I'm legitimately shocked to hear that the TTC is removing license plates from buses and not replacing them for days.

Why are they deplating buses? There is usually no need to do that unless the bus is being retired, or the plate has been confiscated by the relevant authorities. And if it's as simple as replacing a license plate that's worn out - they should be able to put the new plate on immediately after taking the old one off, not leave the bus sitting out of service for days if not weeks at a time.

MTO wants possession of the cores before re issuing.

^also what the poster above me said.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This also applies to any personal license plates. If you paid for the sticker and need to transfer the sticker to a new plate, you have to return the old plates. BUT Ford is refunding the stickers for personal vehicles now... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks @BusFanForever and @Bus_Medic for the explanations. If they're timed with repairs or MTO inspections, where the buses are already scheduled to be out of service, that makes more sense; just it wasn't fully clear that was the case from the initial postings. Having a dozen or more "unplated" buses sit around out of service that were otherwise usable would certainly be an issue/scandal.

I've seen other agencies do mass replating programs before, where large portions of their fleets (dozens of buses) get new license plates to replace the faded old ones within maybe 2 weeks; clearly they couldn't park like 40% of their fleet at once, but maybe it's possible that the plate replacements were timed to when the stickers expired (or the agency cares less about refunding the "unused" portion).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1259 received plates, but was in the backyard (not a direct foot path when showing up or heading home). 1105, 1114 & 1125 are parked indefinitely 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

3759 is back in service. IIRC this means 9 of the 10 BYDs have been in service in the last couple months. However, I'm still waiting for 3756 to come into service as it's the only BYD I haven't ridden yet. 😑

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

3759 is back in service. IIRC this means 9 of the 10 BYDs have been in service in the last couple months. However, I'm still waiting for 3756 to come into service as it's the only BYD I haven't ridden yet. 😑

3750 is the only one I have ridden. At least you have almost rode on all of them 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2022 at 2:38 AM, bus_7246 said:

TTC 1143 will be benched for a while as there appears to be some front curb side collision damage

Took a photo of it yesterday, i think they already fixed it20220606_225014.thumb.jpg.4098efd6c98835d92d6dea35ac3a249a.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, 7749 said:

Took a photo of it yesterday, i think they already fixed it20220606_225014.thumb.jpg.4098efd6c98835d92d6dea35ac3a249a.jpg

If there’s an open stall to get the work done at Harvey, it should be done by the end of the week. If not, by next week at the earliest. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1017, 1019, 1117, 1412 & 3728 are the recent buses with their plates removed. I take it that they are all MTO repairs that are getting new plates, unless the hybrids are done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2022 at 7:30 PM, bus_7246 said:

1017, 1019, 1117, 1412 & 3728 are the recent buses with their plates removed. I take it that they are all MTO repairs that are getting new plates, unless the hybrids are done. 

Those hybrids are safe for now. Just getting new plates.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

3709 is being used as a subway shuttle.

3709 was back on property by Wednesday. It was on 952 that day. It was pulled from 36 today to do the shuttle, likely cause there wasn't enough buses out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kelvin3157 said:

TTC 9027 may be MIA for a bit as it caught fire supposedly

 

It was the fire suppression system that went off. No fire. It’ll be out of service until the fire suppression tank gets replaced, and the bus get cleaned of any fire suppression dust traveling inside the bus

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/21/2022 at 8:39 AM, bus_7246 said:

TTC 1262 (sporting a Healthy Planet full body wrap) has lost its rear licence plate. Stay tuned for further updates

Update: 1262 & 1325 both received new plates. 1136 lost its rear plate, but was moved by the time I ran my bus in

1262 out on 32 today.

On 6/22/2022 at 11:54 AM, Kelvin3157 said:

TTC 9027 may be MIA for a bit as it caught fire supposedly

9027 back out on Dufferin today. There is some white residue around the rear destination sign still.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...