Jump to content

Missing in Action buses


Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, leylandvictory2 said:

3754 will be sidelined for the next little while. It clipped the roof vent at Don Mills station.  I don't think the byd will be deployed on Don mills route anytime soon.

picard-facepalm.jpg

The BYD buses have been on the 25 for a number of days, and therefore passing through Don Mills Station literally dozens, if not hundreds of times... how come this is only surfacing now?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, leylandvictory2 said:

3754 will be sidelined for the next little while. It clipped the roof vent at Don Mills station.  I don't think the byd will be deployed on Don mills route anytime soon.

Imagine testing the BYD at ALL terminals before rushing them into service. Crazy concept I know.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Chris W said:

Imagine testing the BYD at ALL terminals before rushing them into service. Crazy concept I know.

The TTC is a huge system - it would be highly impractical to test a new bus on every single route and stop in the entire system before clearing them to service.

That being said... they should know where the "pinch points" of low clearance are on the system (especially for infrastructure they own, like bus terminals), and should know if a bus is not going to clear one of those points before ordering them. There were plenty of signs advising where CNG buses couldn't go, some of which were height-based. Then again, TTC didn't know about the issue with hybrid buses at Jane Station without a little trial-and-error...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Chris W said:

Imagine testing the BYD at ALL terminals before rushing them into service. Crazy concept I know.

 

7 hours ago, Articulated said:

The TTC is a huge system - it would be highly impractical to test a new bus on every single route and stop in the entire system before clearing them to service.

That being said... they should know where the "pinch points" of low clearance are on the system (especially for infrastructure they own, like bus terminals), and should know if a bus is not going to clear one of those points before ordering them. There were plenty of signs advising where CNG buses couldn't go, some of which were height-based. Then again, TTC didn't know about the issue with hybrid buses at Jane Station without a little trial-and-error...

All 3 electric bus series were tested on every TTC route. therefor they went into every possible station. Different angles drivers take around certain corners or to avoid certain obstacles may result in incidents like this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/29/2020 at 7:14 PM, Articulated said:

picard-facepalm.jpg

The BYD buses have been on the 25 for a number of days, and therefore passing through Don Mills Station literally dozens, if not hundreds of times... how come this is only surfacing now?

i wasn't there to witness it.  I was told the accident happened at the off loading bay behind the 25B.  Based on the damage on 3754, my education guess is that the bus driver did a  called "overhang" maneuver  and caused the accident.  Overhang maneuver is a technique where the front portion of the bus (the part before the front axle) is actually above the sidewalk or curb.  This maneuver is done to help the bus to navigate a turns that are very tight.   We were taught this technique during training.   In this case the bus driver want to the bus parked as close to the bus stop as possible to avoid tripping hazard.  

 

I do the overhang maneuver with Orion and Nova bus numerous times and never have a problem.  BYD is slightly taller than nova, hence it may not able to clear the vents.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/29/2020 at 5:28 PM, leylandvictory2 said:

3754 will be sidelined for the next little while. It clipped the roof vent at Don Mills station.  I don't think the byd will be deployed on Don mills route anytime soon.

It has returned to service this morning on the 116

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

the damage wasn't as bad as the nova had its roof taken off at warden.  The damage did leave a gash or a hole near the front of the bus.  

Maybe it just shaved off one of the horns lol...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2020 at 10:26 PM, bus_7246 said:

- 8606 hasn’t been assessed yet, but there was a small spill basin under the front left corner (I’m assuming it leaking washer fluid)

8606 is back in service. I saw this bus sitting outside of Kipling Stn on Aukland on a layover. It may have been back in service for a little bit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, TTC4120fan said:

A Nova bus with the rapidTO wrap was involved in accident with an SUV near Kingston road and Scarborough Golf Club road.

A drunk driver, apparently. I heard all the sirens as this was right around the corner from me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TTC4120fan said:

A Nova bus with the rapidTO wrap was involved in an accident with a SUV near Kingston road and Scarborough Golf Club road.

 

 

47 minutes ago, MK78 said:

A drunk driver, apparently. I heard all the sirens as this was right around the corner from me.

The bus was 8737

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...