Missing in Action buses

3 hours ago, Articulated said:

Quite the opposite - I'm legitimately shocked to hear that the TTC is removing license plates from buses and not replacing them for days.

Why are they deplating buses? There is usually no need to do that unless the bus is being retired, or the plate has been confiscated by the relevant authorities. And if it's as simple as replacing a license plate that's worn out - they should be able to put the new plate on immediately after taking the old one off, not leave the bus sitting out of service for days if not weeks at a time.

MTO wants possession of the cores before re issuing.

^also what the poster above me said.

Thanks @BusFanForever and @Bus_Medic for the explanations. If they're timed with repairs or MTO inspections, where the buses are already scheduled to be out of service, that makes more sense; just it wasn't fully clear that was the case from the initial postings. Having a dozen or more "unplated" buses sit around out of service that were otherwise usable would certainly be an issue/scandal.

I've seen other agencies do mass replating programs before, where large portions of their fleets (dozens of buses) get new license plates to replace the faded old ones within maybe 2 weeks; clearly they couldn't park like 40% of their fleet at once, but maybe it's possible that the plate replacements were timed to when the stickers expired (or the agency cares less about refunding the "unused" portion).

• 2 weeks later...

3759 is back in service. IIRC this means 9 of the 10 BYDs have been in service in the last couple months. However, I'm still waiting for 3756 to come into service as it's the only BYD I haven't ridden yet. ?

5 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

3759 is back in service. IIRC this means 9 of the 10 BYDs have been in service in the last couple months. However, I'm still waiting for 3756 to come into service as it's the only BYD I haven't ridden yet. ?

3750 is the only one I have ridden. At least you have almost rode on all of them ?

On 6/5/2022 at 2:38 AM, bus_7246 said:

TTC 1143 will be benched for a while as there appears to be some front curb side collision damage

Took a photo of it yesterday, i think they already fixed it20220606_225014.thumb.jpg.4098efd6c98835d92d6dea35ac3a249a.jpg

8 minutes ago, 7749 said:

Took a photo of it yesterday, i think they already fixed it20220606_225014.thumb.jpg.4098efd6c98835d92d6dea35ac3a249a.jpg

If there’s an open stall to get the work done at Harvey, it should be done by the end of the week. If not, by next week at the earliest. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2022 at 7:30 PM, bus_7246 said:

1017, 1019, 1117, 1412 & 3728 are the recent buses with their plates removed. I take it that they are all MTO repairs that are getting new plates, unless the hybrids are done. 

Those hybrids are safe for now. Just getting new plates.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

3709 is being used as a subway shuttle.

3709 was back on property by Wednesday. It was on 952 that day. It was pulled from 36 today to do the shuttle, likely cause there wasn't enough buses out there.

TTC 1262 (sporting a Healthy Planet full body wrap) has lost its rear licence plate. Stay tuned for further updates

Update: 1262 & 1325 both received new plates. 1136 lost its rear plate, but was moved by the time I ran my bus in

1 hour ago, Kelvin3157 said:

TTC 9027 may be MIA for a bit as it caught fire supposedly

It was the fire suppression system that went off. No fire. It’ll be out of service until the fire suppression tank gets replaced, and the bus get cleaned of any fire suppression dust traveling inside the bus

6 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

It was the fire suppression system that went off. No fire. It’ll be out of service until the fire suppression tank gets replaced, and the bus get cleaned of any fire suppression dust traveling inside the bus

i believe 3277 has its fire suppression system deployed at warden and 401 

On 6/21/2022 at 8:39 AM, bus_7246 said:

TTC 1262 (sporting a Healthy Planet full body wrap) has lost its rear licence plate. Stay tuned for further updates

Update: 1262 & 1325 both received new plates. 1136 lost its rear plate, but was moved by the time I ran my bus in

1262 out on 32 today.

On 6/22/2022 at 11:54 AM, Kelvin3157 said:

TTC 9027 may be MIA for a bit as it caught fire supposedly

9027 back out on Dufferin today. There is some white residue around the rear destination sign still.