Jump to content
Centralsmt

Collingwood Transit

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, MCI102A3 said:

I've actually brought this topic up with many of the drivers I know in Barrie. Simcoe County is currently in the process of setting up a regional transit system, with a route to Collingwood being started in 2019, which in my opinion is pretty far away. If anything, Barrie-Orillia and Barrie-Collingwood should've been the first routes set up by the County, since they would both connect Barrie to the second and third-largest transit networks.

I wouldn't mind something interim coming up, but I have a feeling we'll be waiting until pigs fly for things to happen. Maybe Colltrans could send one of their XD40s to Barrie on a commuter run in the interim? *nudge/wink*

When that happens I would not be shocked if Owen Sound would want to set up a route to connect to Collingwood as Greyhound would want to pull out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

When that happens I would not be shocked if Owen Sound would want to set up a route to connect to Collingwood as Greyhound would want to pull out

Or at least meet halfway in Meaford and connect to their bus, and then Meaford or someone else could do the rest of the trip to Collingwood? That's a very long ride to be spending on an Arboc.

Although I'd admit it'd be awesome seeing a Grey County bus calling at the Collingwood terminal. I'd definitely take the trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That route is busy for Greyhound, even though it's only one trip daily I doubt they would drop it.  If they did I can see Hammond take over that route.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Shaun said:

That route is busy for Greyhound, even though it's only one trip daily I doubt they would drop it.  If they did I can see Hammond take over that route.  

Once the regional service from Barrie to Collingwood happens it will effect their ridership/bottom line.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That might be true but Greyhound is a more direct service, rather than taking the GO train to Barrie and then transferring to services at each municipality. 

It would depend on how it's structured.  Think about Kitchener or Guelph Greyhound still has a healthy market even though GO Transit also services those routes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shaun said:

That might be true but Greyhound is a more direct service, rather than taking the GO train to Barrie and then transferring to services at each municipality. 

It would depend on how it's structured.  Think about Kitchener or Guelph Greyhound still has a healthy market even though GO Transit also services those routes.

The route between Barrie and Collingwood that the County will be starting in a couple of years will definitely poach the traffic from the Hound between those two cities at least (especially with more frequency for the route), as well as poaching traffic from the taxi services, but I'd imagine Greyhound will still be strong at least between Meaford and Owen Sound. If not, Kunkel or somebody else locally'll end up taking it over, hopefully with a bit more frequency.

I did read some articles in the Owen Sound newspaper around the time that the debacle with the terminal was happening though, that talked about Grey County possibly getting into the rural transit business. They could possibly run something on 26 between Owen Sound and Meaford at least, or even into Collingwood. I haven't heard anything for a few years at least though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MCI102A3 said:

but I'd imagine Greyhound will still be strong at least between Meaford and Owen Sound. If not, Kunkel or somebody else locally'll end up taking it over, hopefully with a bit more frequency.

The Greyhound to Owen Sound should definitely survive, even with an expanded regional transit network. Its basically the only direct way to get up to Owen Sound without a car. The only other link that I know of is a somewhat expensive privately run shuttle service between Pearson and Kincardine (on Lake Huron) that goes up Highway 10 with a stop in Owen Sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2017 at 10:15 PM, WMATAC40LF said:

The Greyhound to Owen Sound should definitely survive, even with an expanded regional transit network. Its basically the only direct way to get up to Owen Sound without a car. The only other link that I know of is a somewhat expensive privately run shuttle service between Pearson and Kincardine (on Lake Huron) that goes up Highway 10 with a stop in Owen Sound.

Maybe not as its now down to one trip each way a day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

36778810216_fa144717b2.jpg

36795258362_6d5fcf492f.jpg

710 and 711 have both entered service. 700 was recently refurbished and was out on the Blue Mountain Link. No Xcelsiors were out - now that there's enough reliable "short buses", one wonders if the Xcelsiors will be used less often, given that no route in Collingwood really seems to need them... <_<

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×