Collingwood Transit

Centralsmt

19 hours ago, MCI102A3 said:

I've actually brought this topic up with many of the drivers I know in Barrie. Simcoe County is currently in the process of setting up a regional transit system, with a route to Collingwood being started in 2019, which in my opinion is pretty far away. If anything, Barrie-Orillia and Barrie-Collingwood should've been the first routes set up by the County, since they would both connect Barrie to the second and third-largest transit networks.

I wouldn't mind something interim coming up, but I have a feeling we'll be waiting until pigs fly for things to happen. Maybe Colltrans could send one of their XD40s to Barrie on a commuter run in the interim? *nudge/wink*

When that happens I would not be shocked if Owen Sound would want to set up a route to connect to Collingwood as Greyhound would want to pull out

2 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

When that happens I would not be shocked if Owen Sound would want to set up a route to connect to Collingwood as Greyhound would want to pull out

Or at least meet halfway in Meaford and connect to their bus, and then Meaford or someone else could do the rest of the trip to Collingwood? That's a very long ride to be spending on an Arboc.

Although I'd admit it'd be awesome seeing a Grey County bus calling at the Collingwood terminal. I'd definitely take the trip.

14 hours ago, Shaun said:

That route is busy for Greyhound, even though it's only one trip daily I doubt they would drop it.  If they did I can see Hammond take over that route.  

Once the regional service from Barrie to Collingwood happens it will effect their ridership/bottom line.

• Like 1

That might be true but Greyhound is a more direct service, rather than taking the GO train to Barrie and then transferring to services at each municipality. 

It would depend on how it's structured.  Think about Kitchener or Guelph Greyhound still has a healthy market even though GO Transit also services those routes.

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

That might be true but Greyhound is a more direct service, rather than taking the GO train to Barrie and then transferring to services at each municipality. 

It would depend on how it's structured.  Think about Kitchener or Guelph Greyhound still has a healthy market even though GO Transit also services those routes.

The route between Barrie and Collingwood that the County will be starting in a couple of years will definitely poach the traffic from the Hound between those two cities at least (especially with more frequency for the route), as well as poaching traffic from the taxi services, but I'd imagine Greyhound will still be strong at least between Meaford and Owen Sound. If not, Kunkel or somebody else locally'll end up taking it over, hopefully with a bit more frequency.

I did read some articles in the Owen Sound newspaper around the time that the debacle with the terminal was happening though, that talked about Grey County possibly getting into the rural transit business. They could possibly run something on 26 between Owen Sound and Meaford at least, or even into Collingwood. I haven't heard anything for a few years at least though.

8 hours ago, MCI102A3 said:

but I'd imagine Greyhound will still be strong at least between Meaford and Owen Sound. If not, Kunkel or somebody else locally'll end up taking it over, hopefully with a bit more frequency.

The Greyhound to Owen Sound should definitely survive, even with an expanded regional transit network. Its basically the only direct way to get up to Owen Sound without a car. The only other link that I know of is a somewhat expensive privately run shuttle service between Pearson and Kincardine (on Lake Huron) that goes up Highway 10 with a stop in Owen Sound.

On 7/24/2017 at 10:15 PM, WMATAC40LF said:

The Greyhound to Owen Sound should definitely survive, even with an expanded regional transit network. Its basically the only direct way to get up to Owen Sound without a car. The only other link that I know of is a somewhat expensive privately run shuttle service between Pearson and Kincardine (on Lake Huron) that goes up Highway 10 with a stop in Owen Sound.

Maybe not as its now down to one trip each way a day.

• 1 month later...

36778810216_fa144717b2.jpg

36795258362_6d5fcf492f.jpg

710 and 711 have both entered service. 700 was recently refurbished and was out on the Blue Mountain Link. No Xcelsiors were out - now that there's enough reliable "short buses", one wonders if the Xcelsiors will be used less often, given that no route in Collingwood really seems to need them... <_<

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Checking out the fleet roster I noticed there is a few numbers missing here with 700-706, 708, 710-712 being utilized. 707 & 709 were not used. Would these numbers be reserved for something else or did they just decided not to use them.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Err...not sure if this is the right place, but I saw 4 MiDis at the Wajax lot in Etobicoke. Anyone know what those might be or might have been? All plain white. Would've taken a picture but I was on my bike. 

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2016-New-Flyer-Midi-Bus-MD30-29-Passenger/124319346646?hash=item1cf202afd6:g:Ea4AAOSw2MpfTQ1a

This is my best bet. There are 4 for sale.

8 hours ago, Thomasw said:

That description mentions "local pickup from St-Jean-sur-Richelieu", so it doesn't sound like it would be those.

Simcoe County LINX is expecting new buses to launch route 6 (Midland-Orillia) this fall; they should have arrived in the summer but production was delayed due to COVID-19. Could be those.

13 hours ago, Thomasw said:

5 hours ago, Articulated said:

That description mentions "local pickup from St-Jean-sur-Richelieu", so it doesn't sound like it would be those.

Simcoe County LINX is expecting new buses to launch route 6 (Midland-Orillia) this fall; they should have arrived in the summer but production was delayed due to COVID-19. Could be those.

No, these looked to be in decent condition. The skirt panels were all neat and tidy unlike those in the pics. I'll try and get some from the fence if I go through there again. 

• 2 weeks later...