Collingwood Transit

Centralsmt

Just now, Articulated said:

Link to the Facebook post is here.

I agree, it doesn't look like a typical Xcelsior interior. Haven't been inside a MiDi so I can't comment on that. Wonder why the got Council approval for an XD35 bus but got an MD30 delivered, as they seemed very set on the higher capacity of a 35ft bus and the benefits of sharing parts with the existing XD40 buses.

Don't know whether they still have the three Eldorados or not, but my theory is that they bought the XD35 and Midi for the inter-municipal linkroutes, while increasing their spare ratio. The cutaway used in Wasaga Beach I believe is around 6 years old or so, while Blue Mountain's bus was usually a spare Eldorado. In the past I remember hearing that they had to use school buses on some routes when there were fleet issues.

I also remember hearing a few years ago about a third XD40 to be delivered in 2013? What happened with that?

6 hours ago, MCI102A3 said:

Don't know whether they still have the three Eldorados or not, but my theory is that they bought the XD35 and Midi for the inter-municipal linkroutes, while increasing their spare ratio. The cutaway used in Wasaga Beach I believe is around 6 years old or so, while Blue Mountain's bus was usually a spare Eldorado. In the past I remember hearing that they had to use school buses on some routes when there were fleet issues.

I also remember hearing a few years ago about a third XD40 to be delivered in 2013? What happened with that?

The 3 ElDorados should still be around for a while. They are only 2007 units and shouldn't be too close to retirement age. The cutaway used for the Wasaga Beach Link was purchased in 2013, so it is 3 years old.

As for the rumoured third XD40, this is false. What happened is that after the purchase of 704 then 705, there was a report out for a "third bus" to be purchased to operate on the new Wasaga Beach Link. It was assumed by some that 706 would be an XD40 based off of how the purchasing report was worded. It also didn't help that Collingwood is not visited frequently by transitfans due to its location, and that there is no fleet number visible on the outside of the cutaway for the Link route, but that cutaway is indeed internally numbered 706.

Just now, Articulated said:

The 3 ElDorados should still be around for a while. They are only 2007 units and shouldn't be too close to retirement age. The cutaway used for the Wasaga Beach Link was purchased in 2013, so it is 3 years old.

As for the rumoured third XD40, this is false. What happened is that after the purchase of 704 then 705, there was a report out for a "third bus" to be purchased to operate on the new Wasaga Beach Link. It was assumed by some that 706 would be an XD40 based off of how the purchasing report was worded. It also didn't help that Collingwood is not visited frequently by transitfans due to its location, and that there is no fleet number visible on the outside of the cutaway for the Link route, but that cutaway is indeed internally numbered 706.

Ah, thanks for this, it's solved. I live only an hour away from there and was really confused over all that talk.

Well, hopefully if the County starts operating regional transit out that way from Barrie (thread on this in the Ontario section), more of us will visit there. I think Collingwood's actually a nice little gem of a system, diverse enough fleet but small. I wanted to head out there for eons but because the connections west of Barrie suck, can't do it.

On 6/19/2016 at 1:20 PM, Articulated said:

Link to the Facebook post is here.

I agree, it doesn't look like a typical Xcelsior interior. Haven't been inside a MiDi so I can't comment on that. Wonder why the got Council approval for an XD35 bus but got an MD30 delivered, as they seemed very set on the higher capacity of a 35ft bus and the benefits of sharing parts with the existing XD40 buses.

https://www.facebook.com/Sinton-Landmark-126949504099501/?fref=ts

Its a MiDi 

• Like 1

Collingwood has purchased a NFI Midi for its Blue Mountain route.  Surprisingly it is a 35ft, instead of the 30ft Midi they were testing on before.  This bus #708 is an ex-demo and is a ADL Enviro 200 built in UK, for those who would like to keep a record of the VIN, it is as follow:

SFEY21114DGN33894 built in Oct 2013.  

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cimon8000 said:

Collingwood has purchased a NFI Midi for its Blue Mountain route.  Surprisingly it is a 35ft, instead of the 30ft Midi they were testing on before.  This bus #708 is an ex-demo and is a ADL Enviro 200 built in UK, for those who would like to keep a record of the VIN, it is as follow:

SFEY21114DGN33894 built in Oct 2013.  

FullSizeRender.jpg

The first MiDi in ontario

30 minutes ago, Flyer E902 said:

The first MiDi in ontario

No it's not, there are already 2 MiDis operating for Timiskaming Transit up in Northern Ontario.

Also considering this bus was built by Alexander-Dennis in Scotland, carries an AD builder's plate and an AD VIN, I'd suggest that it isn't a MiDi at all, but just an Enviro200 used as a demonstrator for New Flyer before they built their own.

• Like 3

On 7/2/2016 at 0:10 AM, Articulated said:

No it's not, there are already 2 MiDis operating for Timiskaming Transit up in Northern Ontario.

Also considering this bus was built by Alexander-Dennis in Scotland, carries an AD builder's plate and an AD VIN, I'd suggest that it isn't a MiDi at all, but just an Enviro200 used as a demonstrator for New Flyer before they built their own.

100% correct

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

Collingwood has this unit parked at their garage numbered 3322. It has both logos so would this be a spare unit for all or just the link routes?

28137106280_82837b84eb_b.jpg

I found a similar unit (4450) operating on the Cross Town route on my previous visit to Collingwood. It's likely a spare unit for any run that would require it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Articulated said:

I found a similar unit (4450) operating on the Cross Town route on my previous visit to Collingwood. It's likely a spare unit for any run that would require it.

i have seen this bus running on Wasaga Beach Transit before, pretty sure it's one of their spare

Thanks for the info. I did see their Enviro200 parked as myself and a friend of mine paid a visit to the garage that day. So this is for sure an ADL Enviro200 which would make it the only type to run in North America in service as the others are built by Flyer.

• 6 months later...

Collingwood will be purchasing 2 New Flyer Midi 30' (MD30) buses. In the report it notes there are 6 MD30 "stock" buses available immediately by New Flyer due to being abandoned from a previous customer contract. I am assuming there was a order somewhere else that fell through at the last minute and New Flyer is selling them at a discount with fast delivery. 

The buses will replace Eldorados 700 and 702.

Base bus price $399,543

Collingwood options $10,359

Extended engine warranty 5 years/300,000 km $8,248

Extended transmission warranty 5 years/300,000km $4,887

Total bus price $423,087 plus HST

http://www.collingwood.ca/files/2017-01-23_DEVTAgendaPkgsm.pdf

As a side note, Temiskaming Shores is also getting 2 30' Midi buses in the next few weeks. The staff report there also mentioned stock buses and quick turnaround time so it's possible their order is also part of these 6 Midi buses available for purchase.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Silly Tilley said:

Collingwood will be purchasing 2 New Flyer Midi 30' (MD30) buses. In the report it notes there are 6 MD30 "stock" buses available immediately by New Flyer due to being abandoned from a previous customer contract. I am assuming there was a order somewhere else that fell through at the last minute and New Flyer is selling them at a discount with fast delivery. 

The buses will replace Eldorados 700 and 702.

Base bus price $399,543

Collingwood options $10,359

Extended engine warranty 5 years/300,000 km $8,248

Extended transmission warranty 5 years/300,000km $4,887

Total bus price $423,087 plus HST

http://www.collingwood.ca/files/2017-01-23_DEVTAgendaPkgsm.pdf

As a side note, Temiskaming Shores is also getting 2 30' Midi buses in the next few weeks. The staff report there also mentioned stock buses and quick turnaround time so it's possible their order is also part of these 6 Midi buses available for purchase.

Thats some interesting news. I was up there in December, and noticed that they were using Sinton transportation owned cutaways on some of the routes, so I'm wondering whether they're having issues with the Eldorados. 

6 hours ago, WMATAC40LF said:

Thats some interesting news. I was up there in December, and noticed that they were using Sinton transportation owned cutaways on some of the routes, so I'm wondering whether they're having issues with the Eldorados. 

When I went down there in the summer, 700 and 701 were inside the shop. The mechanics mentioned that they have been having a difficult time maintaining them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

When I went down there in the summer, 700 and 701 were inside the shop. The mechanics mentioned that they have been having a difficult time maintaining them.

Surprisingly they are looking at replacing them at 10 years old like most of other TA did, while YRT's 05 are still kicking around...........

• 5 months later...

I wonder how many people commute to Barrie to catch the GO Train to Toronto each morning? 

Maybe this would be a good place to start? It could go along 26 to catch all the commuters along the way. 

Hammond has a similar service from Midland. Maybe they would want to partner with the community to provide a commuter type of service. 

28 minutes ago, Shaun said:

I wonder how many people commute to Barrie to catch the GO Train to Toronto each morning? 

Maybe this would be a good place to start? It could go along 26 to catch all the commuters along the way. 

Hammond has a similar service from Midland. Maybe they would want to partner with the community to provide a commuter type of service. 

I've actually brought this topic up with many of the drivers I know in Barrie. Simcoe County is currently in the process of setting up a regional transit system, with a route to Collingwood being started in 2019, which in my opinion is pretty far away. If anything, Barrie-Orillia and Barrie-Collingwood should've been the first routes set up by the County, since they would both connect Barrie to the second and third-largest transit networks.

I wouldn't mind something interim coming up, but I have a feeling we'll be waiting until pigs fly for things to happen. Maybe Colltrans could send one of their XD40s to Barrie on a commuter run in the interim? *nudge/wink*

Just now, MCI102A3 said:

I wouldn't mind something interim coming up, but I have a feeling we'll be waiting until pigs fly for things to happen. Maybe Colltrans could send one of their XD40s to Barrie on a commuter run in the interim? *nudge/wink*

They do not have the spare ratio to do commuter. They have enough for spare in the town but not enough buses to add more routes.

Just now, TTC 9701 said:

They do not have the spare ratio to do commuter. They have enough for spare in the town but not enough buses to add more routes.

Yeah, that's true. There's only two buses in the whole fleet that are really cut out for that kind of work, but their fleet is so small they need everything they have just for in-town work. They'd need more 40ft vehicles that could handle the speeds to do that, and there's no way they'll spend the money on them unless there's a firm commitment to the route, and since the County has their plan for 2019, what's the point?