BCT-3122-D800-10240

MUNI (San Francisco, CA)

Those series hybrid artics (with BAE HybriDrive) are very rare. It will be interesting to see if more TAs will be ordering them.

Let us know if you hear anything about MUNI deciding if they like the parallel (Allison) or the series hybrid better.

Those series hybrid artics (with BAE HybriDrive) are very rare. It will be interesting to see if more TAs will be ordering them.

Let us know if you hear anything about MUNI deciding if they like the parallel (Allison) or the series hybrid better.

King County Metro up in Seattle is also getting 105 XDE60 coaches with the BAE HybriDrive.

I too am curious to see how well they operate. Metro was one of the first adopters of Allison's hybrid system and ended up purchasing over 500 units. In recent years they've seemingly switched to buying exclusively BAE, purchasing 424 units.

On a totally unrelated topic...

How well are the new XT60 trolleybuses performing? They look sharp.

Does anyone know if MUNI has exercised its options buy 40 foot and 60 foot trolleybuses to replace all of the ETI coaches?

King County Metro up in Seattle is also getting 105 XDE60 coaches with the BAE HybriDrive.

I too am curious to see how well they operate. Metro was one of the first adopters of Allison's hybrid system and ended up purchasing over 500 units. In recent years they've seemingly switched to buying exclusively BAE, purchasing 424 units.

On a totally unrelated topic...

How well are the new XT60 trolleybuses performing? They look sharp.

Does anyone know if MUNI has exercised its options buy 40 foot and 60 foot trolleybuses to replace all of the ETI coaches?

I actually haven't ridden the XT60's yet, but quite a few have entered service after doing their burn-in testing. They seem to be doing fine so far.

I hear they may start to get XT40's around 2017 or so, with the first unit coming around summer 2016.

Just returned from a trip to the SF Bay Area for two weeks. I managed to ride an XT60 and take this video:

Furthermore I have rides on an XDE60:

14TrSF:
15TrSF:
and Neoplan AN460:

Just returned from a trip to the SF Bay Area for two weeks. I managed to ride an XT60 and take this video:

Furthermore I have rides on an XDE60:

14TrSF:
15TrSF:
and Neoplan AN460:

Nice video! I understand you like to have a little adventure to stick partially out of your video for the better view but may I suggest to get an external microphone w/foam to reduce the wind noise! Or perhaps make your own windscreen for your microphone!

Sorry, not being rude or anything as your an avid video camera compare to many bus photographer but keep it up!

"Muni’s newest motor buses break down a whole lot less than their older counterparts.

That’s according to data released this month by the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency, which noted the 40-foot New Flyer hybrid buses from 2013 are roughly twice as reliable as the older buses, the 40-foot coaches constructed by Neoplan circa 2001."

http://www.sfexaminer.com/munis-newest-buses-break-less-often-data-shows/

They're comparing 2-3 year old buses to 14-16 year old buses... of course they break down less.

#Munilogic

IMO, they should be comparing the stats from newer buses from other agencies instead of the older Neoplans and stuff.

#Munilogic

IMO, they should be comparing the stats from newer buses from other agencies instead of the older Neoplans and stuff.

I think its useful to point out that the new buses are indeed outperforming--as they should be.

Would be cool if they also had stats from when the Neoplans and ETI buses were the same age that the Xcelsiors are now.

3 hours ago, thegoodguy3221 said:

Today, on MUNI, I didn't hear "Please exit through the rear doors," when the stop was requested. I don't know that this message was taken off the automatic announcement system.

I was told they were going to get rid of it completely by April 23rd, which sucks IMO since I always liked it as a kid. Luckily I can still relive it through my audio recordings.

Question for you MUNI guys, especially if there are any trolley bus drivers on here:

I drive for King County Metro and we've recently started getting our XT60's in service. I was wondering if your trolley coaches have been having an issue with dewiring in spots where you know there's no reason to dewire? 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2016 at 1:33 PM, RapidRideTy said:

Question for you MUNI guys, especially if there are any trolley bus drivers on here:

I drive for King County Metro and we've recently started getting our XT60's in service. I was wondering if your trolley coaches have been having an issue with dewiring in spots where you know there's no reason to dewire? 

Yep, it happens a lot with ours. I think the poles are too short; they are shorter than the ETI's poles. Also they seem to be more sensitive than our ETI's poles too.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2016 at 7:46 AM, Detroit Diesel 6V92TA said:

Yep, it happens a lot with ours. I think the poles are too short; they are shorter than the ETI's poles. Also they seem to be more sensitive than our ETI's poles too.

We've had a few theories too, ranging from the spring tension was less, to the computer system was attempting to correct the poles by making sure they aren't too far off to either side. Our vehicle maintenance even came up with a fix but was told to put them back to the factory settings.

They have put out a few memos stating that New Flyer, Vossloh Kiepe, and Metro are trying to figure it out.

• Like 1

Muni is Getting Cooler: New Buses Come With Air Conditioning

https://www.sfmta.com/about-sfmta/blog/muni-getting-cooler-new-buses-come-air-conditioning

Sixty new articulated trolley coaches (the long, electric buses) in service already have air conditioning, and another 98 hybrid-electric coaches with air conditioning will start to arrive next month. All told, at least 538 new buses will have air conditioning.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2016 at 1:15 PM, MAX BRT said:

Muni is Getting Cooler: New Buses Come With Air Conditioning

https://www.sfmta.com/about-sfmta/blog/muni-getting-cooler-new-buses-come-air-conditioning

Sixty new articulated trolley coaches (the long, electric buses) in service already have air conditioning, and another 98 hybrid-electric coaches with air conditioning will start to arrive next month. All told, at least 538 new buses will have air conditioning.

This is a good idea.  It does get warm occasionally in San Francisco (like during my very first visit in August 1988.  Record high temperatures, including 92 one day!)  The Breda LRVs which started coming in 20 years ago are air-conditioned, so it makes sense for the buses to be as well.  I think most if not all of the other agencies in the Bay Area have A/C vehicles, so why not Muni?  :)

• Like 1

Guys, what is the best spot to find the neoplan high floors (both 40 and 60 feet), and (if being used) the 1999 nabi high floors in service at morning or afternoon rush? Also, is there any garages that have good views from the street of any cool buses/trolley buses , and if so where are they located? Thanks!