MUNI (San Francisco, CA)

BCT-3122-D800-10240

12 hours ago, Detroit Diesel 6V92TA said:

Sucks for me because now I can no longer ride ETI's on those routes... something I've done almost every other day for the last 3 years in my commutes. :(

I keep on saying to our photographers/video guys: get out there photographing/filming the ETIs while you still have them. They'll probably be gone by the end of the year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

Didn't they just buy those 3 years ago?

You are confusing the ETIs and the New Flyer trolleybuses. The ETIs were built in the early 2000s and are coming to the end of their service life. Essentially they were a Czech Skoda trolleybus but built in the USA to meet Buy America regulations.

Your reference to "three years ago" is presumably talking about the New Flyer trolleybuses. There are three batches:

- 60ft Articulated XT60 #7201 to #7260. Delivered in 2015

- 60ft Articulated XT60 #7261 to #7293. Delivered in 2018

- 40ft standard length XT40 #5701 to #5885. Delivery began in 2018 and should finish by the end of 2019.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2019 at 4:23 PM, Detroit Diesel 6V92TA said:

Sucks for me because now I can no longer ride ETI's on those routes... something I've done almost every other day for the last 3 years in my commutes. :(

The whole trolley system is going downhill. Now all the the ETIs are stuck on only three routes....The 22, 24 and 41.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, UpDownAcross38 said:

The whole trolley system is going downhill. Now all the the ETIs are stuck on only three routes....The 22, 24 and 41.

Well, at least you have a trolley system. And where there is a trolley system, there always lies an opportunity to bring it back 'uphill'.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, UpDownAcross38 said:

I assume you mean that the system is less fun for you as a fan.

From the passenger point of view, having modern low-floor trolleybuses will be seen as an improvement.

And from Muni's point of view, the ETIs had become unreliable, so maintenance will go down with a new fleet.

• Thanks 3

On 4/16/2019 at 8:04 PM, captaintrolley said:

Well, at least you have a trolley system. And where there is a trolley system, there always lies an opportunity to bring it back 'uphill'.

You gotta point. But these new XT40s just changed the entire trolley system. The majority of them are off the whiles which just defeats the whole purpose of having a trolley system. All the older trolleys kept San Francisco exiting.

5 hours ago, UpDownAcross38 said:

You gotta point. But these new XT40s just changed the entire trolley system. The majority of them are off the whiles which just defeats the whole purpose of having a trolley system. All the older trolleys kept San Francisco exiting.

The new XT40's are the best of both worlds. Doesn't defeat having a trolley system, just makes it more versatile.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello Muni San Francisco!

Just hearing about some issues with people being getting stuck in the doors and in result getting trapped and dragged on the S200 LRVs In SF.

I don't think I've read anything in this thread about it. I thought I would post a local Calgary newspaper regarding Calgary Transit S200s

I'm really shocked to hear about this bad news. I operate the S200s every day in Calgary and I think the doors over here are completely safe and we've never had an issue with them ( as far as people being stuck and dragged that is)  I do understand they have a different door system in San Francisco.

Enjoy!

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/calgary-transit-vows-lrt-doors-safe-after-woman-dragged-under-same-model-of-train-in-san-francisco

And here is a write-up from the San Francisco Examiner

https://www.sfexaminer.com/the-city/new-muni-trains-delivered-with-defective-doors/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LRT said:

Just hearing about some issues with people being getting stuck in the doors and in result getting trapped and dragged on the S200 LRVs In SF.

I don't think I've read anything in this thread about it. I thought I would post a local Calgary newspaper regarding Calgary Transit S200s

I'm really shocked to hear about this bad news. I operate the S200s every day in Calgary and I think the doors over here are completely safe and we've never had an issue with them ( as far as people being stuck and dragged that is)  I do understand they have a different door system in San Francisco.

Enjoy!

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/calgary-transit-vows-lrt-doors-safe-after-woman-dragged-under-same-model-of-train-in-san-francisco

https://www.sfexaminer.com/the-city/new-muni-trains-delivered-with-defective-doors/

yup...unfortunately, the sensitive touch wasn't working. The door shut then dragged her...

Six Potrero coaches were moved over Presidio due to shortage on space. RIP 5407, 5422, 5428, 5443, 5477 and 5495.

IMG_9246.thumb.jpeg.cdcec86fa8c22d4de50eccc7e378e7ad.jpegIMG_9239.thumb.jpeg.59853ce9f4578217126ed19592d5f0c5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, UpDownAcross38 said:

yup...unfortunately, the sensitive touch wasn't working. The door shut then dragged her...

Must have been horrific to witness.

Our s200 are plagued with issues. They rattle like crazy they're definitely an inferior car than the SD 160s.

Slowly but surely hopefully Siemens will have a handle on it

On 4/25/2019 at 11:46 AM, LRT said:

Enjoy!

I think what happened with that woman clinging on to 2039 and then falling on to the track was horrible.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some comments off of YouTube from the video obtained by the Examiner: 

"Even if this particular woman was in the wrong, you have to realize that on the old trains, the doors would re-open if there was an obstruction, they wouldn't just lock onto someone and trap them. furthermore, the train operator should have been notified by the train that the door was obstructed and not fully closed, but it did not let the train operator know, endangering someone's life. some operators close the doors very early, many times in my personal experience, operators try to close the doors while people are still entering or exiting a train. what if the doors had clamped down onto a woman with a stroller who just couldn't get through in time before the operator decided to close the doors, and the operator got no notification of this? if the doors systematically malfunction and don't recognize when there is an obstruction, nor trigger any alert to the train operator, this is a major problem and a public safety issue." (Person)

" People wouldn't feel compelled to hold the doors if the trains ran on any kind of a regular schedule. But when it's rush hour and the next N is 30 minutes behind the one that's about to leave, I can see why people do it." (Another Person)

The 30/45 will also be piloting the higher capacity battery power of our new trolley coaches to travel between Sutter and Townsend off wire. Due to the remaining Central Subway construction on 4th Street, the overhead wires that power these trolley coaches are not yet in place. Data is being collected from our coaches as they travel the new route to better understand the opportunities and limitations of this next-generation of battery technology. (SFMTA  -  4/10/2019)

Example:

IMG_3503.thumb.JPG.cc5dc60f50b1d2392e31daf579cf3cf6.JPG

• Like 2

Why has the 6 returned to ETI operation?  Because of road works and a diversion, Muni had to use XT40s with their off-wire capability for months. I'm not sure passengers (as opposed to transit geeks) are going to be happy with high-floor ETIs returning to their route.

• Like 1