MUNI (San Francisco, CA)

BCT-3122-D800-10240

5 hours ago, H4 5600 said:

Guys, what is the best spot to find the neoplan high floors (both 40 and 60 feet), and (if being used) the 1999 nabi high floors in service at morning or afternoon rush? Also, is there any garages that have good views from the street of any cool buses/trolley buses , and if so where are they located? Thanks!

Transbay terminal or Mission & Main for the Neoplans. NABI's randomly run all over the place for training only from the morning to 3 PM only during the week. They pull in at Islais Creek around 3. Almost all of the yards are viewable from the street.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-08-29 at 3:24 PM, 160 Downriver said:

If any of you ever wanted to build subways in San Francisco, your dream has come true.

http://connectsf.org/components/subway-vision/

Background information here.

Wow, that is good to good hear. They should take at building the subway to the beach, and Transbay transit centre, only places I know SF.

I personally think that BART should help out because they should be ones who build it and operate because they are ones who know how to operate and maintain heavy rail. 

I wonder how fast the ETI's can go, since Dayton's 14trE's can go 45mph which is really fast for a trolleybus. Someone said he was on a 15trSF doing almost 60 with a right of way once, which doesn't seem possible, but just wondering because the traction motors sound really awesome at high speed. My highest GPS recording on a 14trSF was 25mph and even then it sounded really awesome

14 hours ago, themikepeng said:

I wonder how fast the ETI's can go, since Dayton's 14trE's can go 45mph which is really fast for a trolleybus. Someone said he was on a 15trSF doing almost 60 with a right of way once, which doesn't seem possible, but just wondering because the traction motors sound really awesome at high speed. My highest GPS recording on a 14trSF was 25mph and even then it sounded really awesome

Most of the 14TrSF's are governed at 40 mph (I've been in a couple at 40 mph with my friends driving :P ). Some actually were able to get past 50 though, but the drivers tend to not push them that far.

The ETI 40 footers sound awesome in general and are fun to ride, but I was never a big fan of the 15TrSF's (except for 7101).

BTW, the next time you come out here, get your ETI rides in, as the 60 footers are all retired and the 40 footers are slowly retiring. I just went after 5401 this weekend. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Detroit Diesel 6V92TA said:

Most of the 14TrSF's are governed at 40 mph (I've been in a couple at 40 mph with my friends driving :P ). Some actually were able to get past 50 though, but the drivers tend to not push them that far.

The ETI 40 footers sound awesome in general and are fun to ride, but I was never a big fan of the 15TrSF's (except for 7101).

BTW, the next time you come out here, get your ETI rides in, as the 60 footers are all retired and the 40 footers are slowly retiring. I just went after 5401 this weekend. 

I'm almost certainly going again this weekend, any route suggestions? I'm thinking about the 30 again but the short stretch of the 30 I took last time was really slow, though it was a 14trsf and the motor sound was unbeatable B)

12 hours ago, themikepeng said:

I'm almost certainly going again this weekend, any route suggestions? I'm thinking about the 30 again but the short stretch of the 30 I took last time was really slow, though it was a 14trsf and the motor sound was unbeatable B)

Not sure if you've already made official plans yet, but I wouldn't recommend coming until the 24-25th unless you plan on coming more than once. Muni heritage weekend (old buses & street cars coming out for free rides all day) is held on those days.

I suggest the 5R (buses fly when headed towards or from Ocean Beach once you get around 25th ave.) & 31 for 14TrSF routes. Also the 24 is pretty good from what I recall. If you're on facebook, I'll send you a sample of my audio recording of 5565. Sounded like a freaking race car. Also my friend filmed 5635 making some seriously awesome sounds (better than usual).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Detroit Diesel 6V92TA said:

Not sure if you've already made official plans yet, but I wouldn't recommend coming until the 24-25th unless you plan on coming more than once. Muni heritage weekend (old buses & street cars coming out for free rides all day) is held on those days.

I suggest the 5R (buses fly when headed towards or from Ocean Beach once you get around 25th ave.) & 31 for 14TrSF routes. Also the 24 is pretty good from what I recall. If you're on facebook, I'll send you a sample of my audio recording of 5565. Sounded like a freaking race car. Also my friend filmed 5635 making some seriously awesome sounds (better than usual).

Going more than once isn't a problem since I'm staying in Berkeley, in fact I hope I can go almost every weekend. Seems like I should ride to Ocean Beach on the 31, then ride back on the 5 (5R doesn't operate on weekends, does it?) My Facebook is Mike Peng (should be obvious which Mike Peng)

4 hours ago, themikepeng said:

Going more than once isn't a problem since I'm staying in Berkeley, in fact I hope I can go almost every weekend. Seems like I should ride to Ocean Beach on the 31, then ride back on the 5 (5R doesn't operate on weekends, does it?) My Facebook is Mike Peng (should be obvious which Mike Peng)

Oh wow perfect then. Either way works with the 5 & 31. Only 5 runs on the weekends, no R. Okay cool.

On 9/8/2016 at 11:46 PM, Detroit Diesel 6V92TA said:

Oh wow perfect then. Either way works with the 5 & 31. Only 5 runs on the weekends, no R. Okay cool.

I took the 5 to Ocean Beach on 5488, and it hit 35 while screamin! Then I took the 31 back to Van Ness on 5520 and it topped 30 but it sounded even better IMO! Thanks for telling me about these routes, I'll ride them again soon!

On 9/11/2016 at 6:19 PM, themikepeng said:

I took the 5 to Ocean Beach on 5488, and it hit 35 while screamin! Then I took the 31 back to Van Ness on 5520 and it topped 30 but it sounded even better IMO! Thanks for telling me about these routes, I'll ride them again soon!

They used to call the 5 from 25th to the Ocean the "Fulton 500." No problem man, I hope you can make it for heritage weekend on the 24-25th. I rode 5482 on the 5 on Sunday morning and hooooly sh*t it sounded amazing. It was making extra noise and sounded like music. I'll send a sample of that to your FB soon as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, aznichiro115 said:

Was watching this video, and noticed that some LRVs on one end of the LRV was a electronic destination sign and on the other it was a roll sign.

Were they designed like that to save money? or did they just replace one side if one side broke? Whats the deal? I just find it extremely odd. 

They've been like this for years, so I'm pretty sure some got replaced and others didn't. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, themikepeng said:

I finally got a trolleybus that hauled some serious @$$! It hit 40mph 3 times and did 0-40 in 15 seconds once! This was coming out of Ocean Beach so slightly uphill too!

Ah yes the Fulton 500. When are you coming back over here? Also how were those audios I sent of 5482 & 5565? I recorded my friend going 40mph with 5440. :P 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2016 at 9:18 PM, Detroit Diesel 6V92TA said:

Ah yes the Fulton 500. When are you coming back over here? Also how were those audios I sent of 5482 & 5565? I recorded my friend going 40mph with 5440. :P 

Strange, I'm not getting anything, are you sure you sent a friend request to the right Facebook? It's this one:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100012003545483

I didn't have time to go this weekend but I have Tuesday off so I can go over to SF, but I'm probably gonna take a ride on the light rail instead just to try it out

On 11/21/2016 at 2:28 AM, themikepeng said:

Strange, I'm not getting anything, are you sure you sent a friend request to the right Facebook? It's this one:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100012003545483

I didn't have time to go this weekend but I have Tuesday off so I can go over to SF, but I'm probably gonna take a ride on the light rail instead just to try it out

Weird. I sent the message to your FB. Just sent you a request now.

Ah okay. Have fun. I'll be busy on Tuesday, but maybe one of these days we can meet if you want.

I have a gut feeling that before the 2007 Orions came in, all the 8100s and the first 40-50 8300s were in the Woods Division, and the 8200s and the last 8300s in Kirkland. I think when the Orions and the 2013/2016 New Flyers debuted, some 8100s and 8300s moved to Kirkland. The same thing will likely happen when the Neoplans got rehabbed in 2011 and 2013 and all NABIs switched to training mode in 2014, however, the few Neoplans would probably move to Woods when there is not enough buses in Woods when transferred to Kirkland.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LRV 2001, the first of the new LRV4 vehicles, has left the Siemens facility and is en route to Muni Metro East. It will arrive between 11:30 and 1:00 tonight, and will be unloaded on the track closest to Illinois Street immediately after arriving, a process that will take an hour or so. It will then be moved inside the barn. A media event to show off the car will happen tomorrow 1/13 at 10am or in the afternoon, at MME. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, thegoodguy3221 said:

I rode the 2013 New Flyer XDE40 today, and the automatic announcement system is low pitch, just like on the XDE60s since over a month ago. Seems that MUNI began to change the pitch of the announcement system just to not annoy passengers and the bus drivers.

That's because of the new radio system. You more than likely rode 8601 unless there are a few more now with new radios (which I highly doubt). I rode 8101 & 6299 when they first went back into service with the new radio systems last year and they were both a half-step lower in pitch. What's ironic is that back in 2013, the new (at the time) XDE40's and 2013 rehab Neoplans had their announcement systems raised a half-step higher (which did annoy me at first).

Layout:

Regular old radio system buses, non-rehabs, 2010 rehabs: "A" musical key for stop request chime.

2013 XDE40's & 2013 rehab Neoplans: "A#/Bb" musical key for stop request chime.

New radio system buses (8601, 8501, 8101, 6299 & new XDE40/XDE60's): "G#/Ab" musical key for stop request chime.