MUNI (San Francisco, CA)

BCT-3122-D800-10240

• 4 weeks later...

Do you know if it will still be out tomorrow? (I can't find out since I do not have instagram).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Only five more days before the new buses are starting to come! So excited! Oh, and sorry for the bump.

Not sure what you mean. The 2015 XDE60's have been arriving and running for a bit now. I've seen up to 6525 at Islais Creek and up to 6519 on the road so far. By the way, aren't you one of the Muni wikipedia editors? That page needs some serious help. :P

I am the Wikipedian for Muni.

Sorry about my previous post, I guess the newer new series is the 6700's. As for wikipedia, could you fix the incorrect years and some of the stuff that Jacky Kwong messed with? (I've actually met that guy in person by the way). I've also been working on the Muni CPTDB Wiki for some time and have fixed it up. As for fixing some errors on the wikipedia page for Muni, I would suggest referring to this page: http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=San_Francisco_MUNI.

As for wikipedia, could you fix the incorrect years and some of the stuff that Jacky Kwong messed with? (I've actually met that guy in person by the way). I've also been working on the Muni CPTDB Wiki for some time and have fixed it up. As for fixing some errors on the wikipedia page for Muni, I would suggest referring to this page: http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=San_Francisco_MUNI.

I would like to try this.

P.S. On the other side, another source where there are some of the incorrect years for every MUNI buses, is this.

EDIT: @Detroit Diesel 6V92TA You can keep track of the San Francisco MUNI fleet page on Wikipedia after I've finished fixing.

I would like to try this.

P.S. On the other side, another source where there are some of the incorrect years for every MUNI buses, is this.

EDIT: @Detroit Diesel 6V92TA You can keep track of the San Francisco MUNI fleet page on Wikipedia after I've finished fixing.

Sweet thanks.

Looks like they list the in service years instead of the actually date the buses were built.

Okay cool.

Talking about the 1988 and 1989 D40s that retired about 8 years ago, I think the 1988 D40s had louder engines and louder kneelers and was mostly used on more dense 40-ft routes like the 9 San Bruno, and I also think the 1989 D40s had softer engines and softer kneelers and was mostly used on less dense 40-ft routes like the 48 Quintara/24th Street.

Talking about the 1988 and 1989 D40s that retired about 8 years ago, I think the 1988 D40s had louder engines and louder kneelers and was mostly used on more dense 40-ft routes like the 9 San Bruno, and I also think the 1989 D40s had softer engines and softer kneelers and was mostly used on less dense 40-ft routes like the 48 Quintara/24th Street.

The 8900's were not as good as the 8800's... yet Muni just haaad to preserve 8926 instead of 8812 or something.

BTW, I rode 3182 today during Muni Heritage Weekend. It wasn't open to the public, but I am friends with the owner. 3210 was there for a short time in the afternoon as well.

Also, I'll send you a personal message about a few more changes for the muni wikipedia page.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the bump again, but I think MUNI decided to take away the stop requested chimes (followed by the annoying stop requested pings) on some Orion VIIs and New Flyer XDE40s, that chime is heard followed by the pings when someone requests a stop in the 2007+ MUNI buses. For someone who rode the brand new New Flyer XT60s and New Flyer XDE60s, in these 2015 buses, do we still ONLY hear the ANNOYING stop requested pings when the stop is requested? Because I've never rode these before.

Sorry for the bump again, but I think MUNI decided to take away the stop requested chimes (followed by the annoying stop requested pings) on some Orion VIIs and New Flyer XDE40s, that chime is heard followed by the pings when someone requests a stop in the 2007+ MUNI buses. For someone who rode the brand new New Flyer XT60s and New Flyer XDE60s, in these 2015 buses, do we still ONLY hear the ANNOYING stop requested pings when the stop is requested? Because I've never rode these before.

I've only ridden the XDE60's and they do have the first "*ping*" and then the "*dun dun*, please exit through the rear doors" sound. However, the pause between the "ping" and the "dun dun" is longer than on an Orion VII. Also, I have heard it glitch and say "please exit through the rear door" two times.

I've only ridden the XDE60's and they do have the first "*ping*" and then the "*dun dun*, please exit through the rear doors" sound. However, the pause between the "ping" and the "dun dun" is longer than on an Orion VII. Also, I have heard it glitch and say "please exit through the rear door" two times.

Yeah, that makes bus drivers remember to drop off passangers at the correct stop due to the automatic annoucements not working.

• 1 month later...

6291 and one other 14 year old trolley had fires last week!

http://sfist.com/2015/12/16/two_buses_caught_fire_last_week_par.php

"Both buses were of the type that use electricity from overhead wires to power their engines.

SFMTA Director of Transit John Haley confirmed the incidents in conversation with the paper after sending out an internal memo detailing the blazes last week. Apparently both fires began in the same spot on each bus and involved the pole that connects the bus to the overhead wires.

“The connector of the pole is what burned through,” explained Haley. “These coaches are ready to be replaced,” he said, “but given the delivery schedule (of new buses), most will remain in service for another two years.”

In response to the incidents, Haley ordered the inspection of 298 buses in an attempt to determine if the problem was widespread.

“We’re doing a two-step inspection process, and repair to replace the connectors,” he explained.

After completing the inspections, 45 buses were found that needed work to prevent similar fire-prone conditions.

Fortunately, no one was injured in either fire.

According to SFMTA, San Francisco's trolley coach fleet is larger than any other city in either the United States and Canada."

6291 and one other 14 year old trolley had fires last week!

http://sfist.com/2015/12/16/two_buses_caught_fire_last_week_par.php

"Both buses were of the type that use electricity from overhead wires to power their engines.

SFMTA Director of Transit John Haley confirmed the incidents in conversation with the paper after sending out an internal memo detailing the blazes last week. Apparently both fires began in the same spot on each bus and involved the pole that connects the bus to the overhead wires.

“The connector of the pole is what burned through,” explained Haley. “These coaches are ready to be replaced,” he said, “but given the delivery schedule (of new buses), most will remain in service for another two years.”

In response to the incidents, Haley ordered the inspection of 298 buses in an attempt to determine if the problem was widespread.

“We’re doing a two-step inspection process, and repair to replace the connectors,” he explained.

After completing the inspections, 45 buses were found that needed work to prevent similar fire-prone conditions.

Fortunately, no one was injured in either fire.

According to SFMTA, San Francisco's trolley coach fleet is larger than any other city in either the United States and Canada."

6291 is not a trolley. It was a Neoplan AN460 that caught fire in summer 2013. The bus is long gone.

The ETI's are way too young to be "ready to be replaced." Most are from 2003 (with the earlier ones being from 2001-2002, plus 1999 for the 2 prototypes). The problem is not the buses, it is the worn out shoes and overhead line problems. Trolley coaches are supposed to last up to 18 years (or longer). Our E800's from 1976 retired between 1999-2007. Our 1993-1994 E60's retired in 2007, 2010, 2013 & finally the last 28 in 2015.

By the way, these news article writers were giving some Muni drivers trouble to get information about the fires.

They're not too young when MUNI treats them like garbage.

Whatever the normal replacement schedule should be, MUNI has a contract with New Flyer to replace each of the trolleybuses on a one for one basis.

Muni treats everything like garbage, but older buses like the 1999 NABI's are still used for training and the 2000 Neoplans are still in full on service. Therefore the ETI's should idealy be around for a longer time, like the E60's were. I would imagine the ETI's would be slowly retired like the E800's and E60's.

Muni treats everything like garbage, but older buses like the 1999 NABI's are still used for training and the 2000 Neoplans are still in full on service. Therefore the ETI's should idealy be around for a longer time, like the E60's were. I would imagine the ETI's would be slowly retired like the E800's and E60's.

They'll be retired as fast as the XT40 and XT60 coaches are delivered.

They'll be retired as fast as the XT40 and XT60 coaches are delivered.

Well we'll see how that goes. Muni usually doesn't retire things too quickly. Even though the XDE60's have flooded in, no Neoplan AN460's have been retired because of it yet and those are in similar condition as the ETI's. They've only transferred to Islais Creek from Flynn.

• 2 weeks later...

According to this presentation that came out today:

1. We will no longer see the 2 Clement. Instead. we will see the 2 Sutter. The bad news is that, buses will no longer operate on Clement Street, which means, people living around Clement Street up to 14th Avenue will be more likely to ride the more jam-packed 38 Geary to work. The good news is that, we will no longer smell emissions around Sutter Street.

2. I'm disappointed that an extra travel time may be added if people live in the Marina District and they ride Muni to work in the Richmond or Sunset District, Stonetown Galleria, or near Balboa Park.

3. 1 California overload!!!

4. We will see two new nighttime routes. Both are of less popular ones; therefore, they are of neighborhood connecting routes provided by 40-ft buses.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry for double post, but since around 2015, when I rode most of the Orion VII HEVs or New Flyer XDE40s (8401-8456, 8601-8662, and 8701-8750), I didn't hear the stop requested chime when the stop was requested, I only hear the "bong bong" stop requested sound. Maybe that is a glitch that takes off that chime, but I hope this will be fixed before that XDE40s will be retired. Buy hey! The stop request button that was easy to accidentally press has been replaced by the small enough ones!