MUNI (San Francisco, CA)

BCT-3122-D800-10240

Also I'm not sure what exactly there is to see better as you claim.

Point is, regardless of where the door is, the driver still has to pay attention as to not run into any snowbanks.

:D:o:P

You have a front and rear door that the distance is relativly the same just like all of the other buses, but the VI what Timmins ordered wants the same door distance so nobody exit all the way to the end or else people would have to walk away from the high snowbank either wait the bus leaves or walk furthur back to get back to the sidewalk if any residential driveway are clear from snow.

Most cites have a policy when it comes how much snow to clear off on every bus stop.

I'm sorry for misunderstood. But now you fully understand about it?!

:D:o:P

You have a front and rear door that the distance is relativly the same just like all of the other buses, but the VI what Timmins ordered wants the same door distance so nobody exit all the way to the end or else people would have to walk away from the high snowbank either wait the bus leaves or walk furthur back to get back to the sidewalk if any residential driveway are clear from snow.

Most cites have a policy when it comes how much snow to clear off on every bus stop.

I'm sorry for misunderstood. But now you fully understand about it?!

So you are saying that Timmins wanted their Orion VI's dorr position consistent with the rest of their fleet. The reason they wanted this is because at bus stops, the area in which the snow is cleared away, covers the entire length from the front door to the middle door?

That would really only be an advantage if most of the bus stops were cleared in this manner, where the entire length from the front to the mid door is cleared of snow. If bus stops aren't clearled of snow or only a small section of the stop is cleared, then the door position wouldn't make any difference.

So you are saying that Timmins wanted their Orion VI's dorr position consistent with the rest of their fleet. The reason they wanted this is because at bus stops, the area in which the snow is cleared away, covers the entire length from the front door to the middle door?

That would really only be an advantage if most of the bus stops were cleared in this manner, where the entire length from the front to the mid door is cleared of snow. If bus stops aren't clearled of snow or only a small section of the stop is cleared, then the door position wouldn't make any difference.

Stay tuned for my sources answer in a week.

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking for the name of one of the operating divisions for SF MUNI last night. Kirkland to be specific. However, I also found some pretty interesting reports for those having interest in MUNI's operations.

It is a very detailed Short Range Transit Plan (SRTP) that was created in December 2005.

Here is the link to it

http://www.sfmuni.com/cms/rptpub/srtpindx.htm

One of the particularly interesting things is that in Chapter 7 Page 137 of the report:

246 40 foot Electric Trolley Buses are cited as active. What this means is that there are 240 Skoda-ETI's from what we know. The remaining SIX buses, would be Flyer E800's. A lot less then what some had estimated.

However this number does confirm what I saw during my August 2006 visit. What I saw was that E800's on the 41 line (the only line E800's are suppose to be on) were few and far in between. Mostly Skoda-ETI's on that line. Only spotted about 2 or 3 different E800's on the 41.

Among other things of interest is a 100% Zero Emmisions fleet by 2020, also found in Chapter 7 (Page 90). Trolley bus service expansion is part of this, but as are electric buses. Whatever that may entail.

Also on Page 90, it is cited that 45 Ex-AC Transit 1993 Gillig (Phantom) will replace 45 New Flyer D40's. These Gilligs are repowered with "clean diesel technology" similar to what the current Neoplan AN440/AN460 vehicles have.

Again on Page 90, of the 24 1991 New Flyer D60's, 12 are to be retired this year or next year, while the other 12 will be refitted with Clean Diesel engines this year or next year. As a result these 12 are later noted as being in the fleet for atleast 5 or 6 more years.

I was looking for the name of one of the operating divisions for SF MUNI last night. Kirkland to be specific. However, I also found some pretty interesting reports for those having interest in MUNI's operations.

It is a very detailed Short Range Transit Plan (SRTP) that was created in December 2005.

Here is the link to it

http://www.sfmuni.com/cms/rptpub/srtpindx.htm

One of the particularly interesting things is that in Chapter 7 Page 137 of the report:

246 40 foot Electric Trolley Buses are cited as active. What this means is that there are 240 Skoda-ETI's from what we know. The remaining SIX buses, would be Flyer E800's. A lot less then what some had estimated.

However this number does confirm what I saw during my August 2006 visit. What I saw was that E800's on the 41 line (the only line E800's are suppose to be on) were few and far in between. Mostly Skoda-ETI's on that line. Only spotted about 2 or 3 different E800's on the 41.

Among other things of interest is a 100% Zero Emmisions fleet by 2020, also found in Chapter 7 (Page 90). Trolley bus service expansion is part of this, but as are electric buses. Whatever that may entail.

Also on Page 90, it is cited that 45 Ex-AC Transit 1993 Gillig (Phantom) will replace 45 New Flyer D40's. These Gilligs are repowered with "clean diesel technology" similar to what the current Neoplan AN440/AN460 vehicles have.

Again on Page 90, of the 24 1991 New Flyer D60's, 12 are to be retired this year or next year, while the other 12 will be refitted with Clean Diesel engines this year or next year. As a result these 12 are later noted as being in the fleet for atleast 5 or 6 more years.

WOW! Very Interesting information Kevin! Thanks very much! I had wondered about those Gilligs being purchased to replace the D40's. Would have been interesting if they had also planned on retrofitting some of the D40's with the "clean diesel technology" like they are doing with some of the D60's. But it could also be an age issue as the D40's are nearing 20 years old. The D60's are only 15 years old at this point.I wonder how many of the E60's are still active at this point.

That plan's been around for a few years. I think they're hoping fuel cells become practical.

Considering that MUNI just picked up an option with Orion for more Orion VII hybrids (perhaps a bit presumptuous since they've only received one so far), I would imagine that they're referring to hybrid buses, or what they expect to be the next generation of hybrids.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pictures from a very quick stop in SF between planes. Light was terrible and I was tired, so not the greatest pictures, but:

An ETI on Market at the Ferry Terminal

A historic streetcar (don't know anything about it, sorry) parked on the Embarcadero

An ETI artic near the Ferry Terminal

The end of Market Street

An ETI somewhere on Market

A PCC somewhere on Market

A Milan streetcar somewhere on Market

Not the greatest captions; I only had a couple of hours in the city, so no time to stop and figure out where I was <_<.