Sault Ste Marie Transit

t_harris01

• 5 months later...

Alright, I guess the street-side guide is wrong because I just went to Orion's website which seems to back up what I was told, whoever did that portion of the guide must have misread it:

Saint John Transit Commission in Canada has ordered three Orion VII clean-diesel transit buses and Sault Ste. Marie, Canada has added an additional Orion VII clean-diesel bus to its existing order.

I don't know.. The street side guide said only 1 but that guide is not 100% accurate.

The Street Side Guide was based on a fleet survey that was filled out by SSMT for CUTA in early 2009. At the time, they had only one vehicle on order so that is what is included in the SSG. Obviously since that time, SSMT has found more funding and has increased their order.

As for the Guide not being 100% accurate, yes there are some errors in it, but it would be virtually impossible to produce a document that is 100% error free. The editor is human just like everybody else.

• 5 months later...

I was in SSM this past week. Geez.. they sure do like to use their Orion 6's all the time everywhere! It's all I saw! Well I saw ONE Orion 7... but that was it! (and I wasn't even trying to find anything, it's just what I noticed when I was driving around town... I wasn't "transit fanning" .. I was heading places)

I was in SSM this past week. Geez.. they sure do like to use their Orion 6's all the time everywhere! It's all I saw! Well I saw ONE Orion 7... but that was it! (and I wasn't even trying to find anything, it's just what I noticed when I was driving around town... I wasn't "transit fanning" .. I was heading places)

They have 9 Orion VI, one retired a couple of years ago. They have Classic as well but it seems to be they are not busy.

• 7 months later...

Was glanciugn around the wiki for SSM and apart from the notes that the 2009 VIIs coming in, there isn't anything else that is either on order. Either I've misread what there was, or an update can be done if possible...as it shows that the fishie and GM Classic are still active.

Has there been other orders for last year or this year and from which manufacturer?

• 3 weeks later...
Was glanciugn around the wiki for SSM and apart from the notes that the 2009 VIIs coming in, there isn't anything else that is either on order. Either I've misread what there was, or an update can be done if possible...as it shows that the fishie and GM Classic are still active.

Has there been other orders for last year or this year and from which manufacturer?

I received an updated SSMT fleet list today. GM fishbowl 98 has been retired, however GM Classic 102 (1987) remains in service. All other Classics appear to still be in service, including the 7 ex-Utahs.

They also do have two Orion VII NG buses numbered 133 and 134 from 2010.

I received an updated SSMT fleet list today. GM fishbowl 98 has been retired, however GM Classic 102 (1987) remains in service. All other Classics appear to still be in service, including the 7 ex-Utahs.

They also do have two Orion VII NG buses numbered 133 and 134 from 2010.

Yep, got them both in November 2010

http://johnsbusphotos.fotopic.net/p68079953.html - 133

http://johnsbusphotos.fotopic.net/p68079954.html - 134

• 6 months later...
Contract for that has been awarded to Nova Bus. It was requested that Delivery be made by December 31, 2011 which only Nova Bus was able to meet, and the Novas are described as "stock units" and not units built completley to SSM Transit specifications.

Nice, more painful feel for Orion! Sounds like more of the Orion VI are going!

Everyone on each and every Northern Ontario transit except North Bay now owns LFS!

Nice, more painful feel for Orion! Sounds like more of the Orion VI are going!

Everyone on each and every Northern Ontario transit except North Bay now owns LFS!

They were worn beyond their years when I saw them a few weeks ago. Probably the end of whatever classics the have to. I spotted at least 1 running around.

They were worn beyond their years when I saw them a few weeks ago. Probably the end of whatever classics the have to. I spotted at least 1 running around.

SSM still has quite a few classics and Vi's in service. Four buses won't be enough to retire all the classics.

• 1 month later...

One Orion VI has already been retired. 102, the 1987 GM Classic will be retired, in addition to two more Orion VIs. This makes up the four LFSs that will be delivered later this year.

Three more items to note:

• Sault Ste. Marie is not growing and therefore expansion buses are out of the question.
  • Accessibility on conventional routes is a non-issue because there is nearly always a spare Parabus available to pick up on-demand riders. Outside Parabus hours, operators can switch routes to accommodate passengers in mobility devices if it is ever an issue. I've been told that very, very rarely occurs, because there is only one regular passenger in a mobility device who always rides the North Street, and they make sure to always have a low floor on that route. With the deterioration of the Orion VIs and durability of both the original and second-hand Classics, the replacement of non-accessible buses is not a priority for Sault Ste. Marie Transit.
  • Sault Ste. Marie Transit will likely never take delivery of another Orion product.

• 1 month later...
Just spotted two Nova LFS 3rd gen buses passing through North Bay on the way to Sault Ste Marie. Green and blue stripes but no numbers.

just found this picture on another site, photo is not taken by me

Congratulations to Sault Ste Marie finally getting new buses...............it's time to say goodbye to few of their Classics................also good that they are no longer getting Orion!!!!

3221.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • Board Admin
April 11, 2012

Industry News

Nova delivers four LFS 40-foot buses

The Ontario-based city of Sault Ste. Marie's Transit and Parking department took delivery of four Nova LFS 40-foot Smart buses to add to its fleet.

Sault Ste. Marie opted to go with the LFS Smart Bus, which includes the Nova eCooling system, a solution that can improve fuel economy by up to 18%. The vehicles also come with a wealth of standard features designed to provide high performance at a competitive life cycle cost.

In addition, all Nova Bus vehicles are based on a common platform which translates into effective maintenance, streamlined training and simplified parts management, providing quality performance and productivity.

Copyright © 2012 Metro Magazine. All Rights Reserved.

Source: http://www.metro-magazine.com/News/Story/2012/04/Nova-delivers-four-LFS-40-foot-buses.aspx?ref=Express-Thursday-20120412&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Enewsletter

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I will be driving through the Sault on my way home in the next few days, and am going to try and grab a Classic while Im there. Is there any certain time I should try and aim for to get the best luck, or any days that they wont be out (i.e. weekends).

Thanks,

Bill

Most of their buses in their fleet are out all day, so you can wait for the 30 min service during PM for all HF, the other are all LF