Sault Ste Marie Transit

t_harris01

Hey all,

I will be driving through the Sault on my way home in the next few days, and am going to try and grab a Classic while Im there. Is there any certain time I should try and aim for to get the best luck, or any days that they wont be out (i.e. weekends).

Thanks,

Bill

Based on when Orion VIII and myself were in Sault Ste Marie last October, the service on weekdays operates as a pulse from the downtown every half hour. During the day, the :15 pulse is the "accessible" pulse where the majority of buses are accessible (typically 5-6 of the 7), and the :45 pulse is the "non-accessible" pulse where the majority of the buses are Classics (again, typically 6-7 of the 8). When evening service starts around 6:45, the buses on the accessible :15 pulse lay over for a dinner break, and they go onto the :45 pulse for the rest of the evening (with the non-accessible :45 pulse running into the garage). Every regular route operates on a one hour loop back to the terminal, so stick around for the two pulses and you'll get everything in service. The Community Bus would also be worth sticking around for since it still uses the SLFs.

This should not have changed too much; IIRC the four LFS they had delivered since October retired their oldest Classic (102) and three Orion VIs. Keep an eye out for these LFS, I haven't seen any pictures of them yet as nobody's been out that way so far since they entered service.

One more word of advice: remember that Sault Ste Marie is significantly further west and still in the same time zone; combined with layout of the street network, the sun is point directly "north" around 1-2pm; best time to photograph at the terminal is probably after 3. Good luck, let us how the shots go!

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

13 ex. OC Transpo Orion VI buses have been purchased by SSMT.

Do you have a source for this info? I find it hard to believe that after many underfunded years they could go out and purchase 13 (albeit used) buses at once... doesn't seem like a logical move on their part when they're already getting rid of their first-hand VIs.

http://www.cityssm.o..._13_MINUTES.pdf (Page 10)

I think they are trying to wipe out the entire high floor fleet (12 Classics) by buying cheaper, used buses, thus making the system 100% accessible, similar to what Stratford did two years ago with the purchase of ex-HSR Novas.

Thanks for the link. Further digging on the Sault Ste Marie website brought up the extended agenda (warning: large file) including a 2-page report (pages 142 and 143 of the PDF) detailing the acquisition.

Seems like they were trying to acquire either 6 or 12 buses (one or two tenders) for the $80,000 they put aside to refurbish one of their existing VIs. These will replace the 7 existing Orion VIs, not go towards replacement of the Classics. It's also noted that they will be receiving one new bus per year for the forseeable future, so at least they're not pinning all their hopes on these VIs.

I still think they're probably overestimating the condition of the Ottawa VIs, but oh well. Should continue to make for an interesting fleet up there.

Thanks for the link. Further digging on the Sault Ste Marie website brought up the extended agenda (warning: large file) including a 2-page report (pages 142 and 143 of the PDF) detailing the acquisition.

Seems like they were trying to acquire either 6 or 12 buses (one or two tenders) for the $80,000 they put aside to refurbish one of their existing VIs. These will replace the 7 existing Orion VIs, not go towards replacement of the Classics. It's also noted that they will be receiving one new bus per year for the forseeable future, so at least they're not pinning all their hopes on these VIs.

I still think they're probably overestimating the condition of the Ottawa VIs, but oh well. Should continue to make for an interesting fleet up there.

Not to mentioned their SSM VI are falling apart big time! And no a/c!

• 3 weeks later...

I can update......soon.....the fleet of Sault Ste. Marie....135 136 137 138 139 140 are all Novas.....we purchased buses from OC Transpo Orions.....not sure yet of the model. The count was 13 in total.....but maybe 8 to be added. The GM non accessible buses could be eliminated soon. So far one OC Transpo Orion got the sticker 141....will update.

I can update......soon.....the fleet of Sault Ste. Marie....135 136 137 138 139 140 are all Novas.....we purchased buses from OC Transpo Orions.....not sure yet of the model. The count was 13 in total.....but maybe 8 to be added. The GM non accessible buses could be eliminated soon. So far one OC Transpo Orion got the sticker 141....will update.

Werent the original SSM VI's gonna be replaced since they are in bad shape.