Photograph Comments/Descriptions

translink

After starting my website a few weeks ago and putting up galleries, I debated for a while on whether or not I was to put comments about the pictures. I settled on not. But after looking at a few websites, then comparing to my own. I wondered: which is better, comments on the pictures or just let the picture speak for its self. So what about you guys, when it comes to your own galleries do you feel like you have to put in a description or just let the picture speak?

• Board Admin

I put descriptions on every photo on my website, to the best of my ability. I'm probably going to have some trouble with locations with my American galleries, but I will try my best to put a location down. So far it's worked out pretty good, but for Portland and Seattle I know I'll have trouble for some.

Of course adding a comment on every picture is time-consuming and can be a hassle if you just want to be able to have a gallery to show off your pictures!

I used to add comments regarding the location, routes, et cetera, of my photos, but I stopped doing that when I realized that I could present more photos in a given space by eliminating it with my new website. My website provides as little information as possible because I want the emphasis to be on the photos. There are plenty of excellent websites for transit information, most of which are more accurate than anything I could provide.

And you know what they say... a picture is worth a thousand words ^_^

I add descriptions for two reasons.

There's certain things that a photo cannot tell, especially for those who are not from the same city the photo taken in, such as the location. There's also might be little tidbits of information about a particular bus or location that might be interesting or not obvious from a photo. If I were to photograph a GM on the 71 tomorrow and put it up on my website, it would appear to just be a GM on the 71. The reality would be that a GM on the 71 would be a VERY rare occurence since none run out of the garage the 71 runs from, not to mention there haven't been an GM spottings in Edmonton since last Monday.

Secondly it's for my own use. 50 years down the road I might have to remind myself where a photo was taken!