Smokey Haulers

James

Particularly many other buses have it unless their engines were refurbished or re-powered with new engines to better meet the clean air standards.

SEPTA's 2003-2004 New Flyers had their Detroit Diesel Engines replaced with Cummins Engines during their overhaul after the DD Series 50 engine is proven to be a failure to the clean air environment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
True, they smoke. True, they aren't GMCs. But I see absolutely no reason to be bashing them for everything. I'm sure if we had gone to Nova or Orion and asked for rushed delivery or under-speced buses (like what was probably done with New Flyer), the result would be the same. I'm just tired of hearing about this vendetta against D40LFs/D40LFRs.

I totaly agree with this statment! everyone i talk to hates flyer but yet Nova doesnt make trollys of 60 ft trollys and they get all the praise :blink: newflyer has also had the best 60 ft buses in the past so not everything about them is bad..... but im not impartial :)

• Board Admin
they seem to have done some work on the 473xs... I haven't seen them smoking as bad now. 4732 seems to be stalking me. Also noticed the route number jumps locations in the run box like it does on the back display now.

Noticed this on a 197 as well.

Is this newflyer flaw only happpening in edmonton with all the smoke and all????
Nope. Happening in Calgary as well!

As well, I do not believe that would be a New Flyer flaw as it is related to the engine and emissions systems on the bus.

Which does make me ask, are the newer Nova's with Strathcona having issues with this as well?

I also tend to think there is a bit of a maintainance related problem that is making this happen.

Nope. Happening in Calgary as well!

As well, I do not believe that would be a New Flyer flaw as it is related to the engine and emissions systems on the bus.

Which does make me ask, are the newer Nova's with Strathcona having issues with this as well?

I also tend to think there is a bit of a maintainance related problem that is making this happen.

Correct - not really a New Flyer problem. It is the Cummins engines, in particular the emissions control (hard to imagine all that black smoke means the emissions are less). They smoke like crazy when the system goes into a "regen" cycle - they heat up to something like 1600 degrees to burn the crap out of the particulate filter IIRC. It seems to me that they smoke more than they should even when this cycle is not happening. I blame the US EPA for forcing regulations that current technology really can't meet, which of course affects us north of the US as well as engine builders will build to meet the demands of the larger market.

It will be interesting to see how the 2010 engines do with the SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) system - this is the ones that use Diesel Exhaust Fluid that is sprayed into the exhaust causing a chemical reaction of some type to occur. There is a separate tank that has to be filled with the DEF. Apparently this system has been in use in Europe for a number of years with good results.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't noticed these smoking problems on 2007+ diesel buses in California. I wonder if weather or altitude affects this. Do the injectors get damaged when cold diesel (which gets a little gummy, IIRC) gets injected? Or perhaps diesel fuel quality. These engines require ultra-low sulfur, right?

It seems to me that Cummins ought to be able to say what the problem is and how to fix it.