2009 D40LFR's Arrive

Looks like the 2009's are here -- 4754 is in one of the northside service bays at Patterson, while 4755 is parked in the storage compound. External spotting differences are subtle - most noticeable is that the window panes in the front and rear doors all appear to have sharp 90-degree corners (like the MCI Classics) rather than the slightly rounded corners that all the other NFI's have had.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They knew I was coming (since I decided not to go yesterday) so of course nothing in the compound for me to shoot.

Did see 4754 briefly though through the doors:

4754.jpg

Tried to cover that one up too! ;)

Cool, thanks for the heads up!

Looking forward to seeing those doors.

Look at Oakville D40LFR to see what the doors are like. Those are Xcelsior doors and this will be most likely a standard.

Look at Oakville D40LFR to see what the doors are like. Those are Xcelsior doors and this will be most likely a standard.

Are you sure? I compared the pics of the Oakvile 2009 D40LFR and they are different from earlier LFR's, however they are different yet compared to the Xcelsior doors. The glass on the front doors of Oakville 2009 D40LFR's are still two piece glass and the doors on the Xcelsior that I saw aree one peice curved glass.

Are you sure? I compared the pics of the Oakvile 2009 D40LFR and they are different from earlier LFR's, however they are different yet compared to the Xcelsior doors.

What I'm saying this mid-2009 model now has the Xcelsior doors, particularly the 2nd batch arrival.

Fishbowls and possibly some 200-series D40LFs.

And dont forget the retirement of the beloved trolleys.

however i still will be surprised if they get enough d40lfrs by September. with their problems, they are going to need a hell of a lot of them.

And dont forget the retirement of the beloved trolleys.
No worries, the "backup fleet" takes care of that so we have 121 new buses. :D Minus, let's say around 40 GMs, and that leaves 81 new buses.
Well at least someone found a good use for the busses :P The magpies can have them :P

So do they drive them out here from Winnipeg, or do they truck them in?

Luckily I didn't get attacked by the magpies there, but I also stayed in my vehicle.

They drive them out here from Winnipeg.

In terms of additional spotting features...(other than the already mentioned squared off door windows)

From the front:

- there is a New Flyer logo above the driver's side turn signal

From the door side:

- the rear vent on is flush with the body, and does not stick out at all

From the rear:

- the upper brake lights have red lenses (instead of clear ones) and there is no middle reflector sticker

- New Flyer logo above the license plate light

Other notes:

- it seems these ones are also coming with the wheelchair decal and the ETS logo on them from the factory, unlike the last batch.

It looks like these buses are coming with new seating as well, like in 6002 (USSC Aries). Hopefully they have the ETS fabric on it, but it might just be solid blue.

Edmonton_Transit_System_4759.jpg

It looks like these buses are coming with new seating as well, like in 6002 (USSC Aries). Hopefully they have the ETS fabric on it, but it might just be solid blue.

The high backed, more comfortable ones? That'll be a nice improvement :D

Sorta not related to the topic of this thread, but I noticed while going to check out the new units a bunch of Black boxes in the south west corner of the compound. Anyone know what they are? They look electrical to me, some kind of battery or transformer maybe?

OK, that's what I was wondering. I thought that the back of the seats looked different in mike's photo.

Anyone notice if the camera system is installed yet? Should be a black box on the driver side wheel well, or of course a camera facing out the front window. I assume it would be installed already.

Looks like there's also no clean diesel logo... yet.

Anyone notice if the camera system is installed yet? Should be a black box on the driver side wheel well, or of course a camera facing out the front window. I assume it would be installed already
Looking at mike's photo and my front photo, it doesn't seem that it is.