General FML moments

vivablue5215

tedt

On 1/25/2024 at 10:49 PM, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

People in today's generation won't understand on what the objects they are looking at in this video:

...snip...

Many of us will know what the technology was like back in the days...

I wonder if any of them would know how to use one of these:

WECo302modifiedtowallmount-07.thumb.JPG.bc6ddcdd4e394a1756f76b56b0086f86.JPG

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

The other day, I went to a self-checkout in my hometown and tried to uses the "French language" option (by the way, French is one of the official languages of Canada alonside English and also, my parents came from a country in Southeast Asia called "Laos" - which coincidentially was a French colony). This may startled some people, but I didn't take their comments seriously - as I told the workers that I can understand French..

It also reminded me of this:

I had to send my camera off for servicing, as it encountered a strange intermittent problem with the LCD screen, including live view and video shooting, not working.

I don't have any trips planned in the near future so it wasn't an inconvenience in that sense but it nevertheless feels like something important is missing. They received the camera on Monday and they said that there's supposed to be an update within 48 hours as to whether it's serviceable or not, but it's been obviously a lot longer than that already and still nothing.

• Sad 1

The Wild Birds Unlimited store a block from me has been told by their landlord not to put loose seed outside their store because it has been attracting an overabundance of pigeons. As you know, pigeons mate all year round, so it doesn't take long for their numbers to rise significantly.  The store has been doing a neighborhood service for the most part by keeping the pigeons in that area, so that the rest of us in the neighborhood aren't bothered by throngs of pigeons (a few yes, but not hundreds).

Anyhow, the pigeons are back at my condo building. FML.

• 1 month later...

This morning with a temperature of whopping 5 C I was put in the garden centre to cashier. Because some idiot in a climate controlled office said we have to have the garden centre open, God damn it!

A somewhat on an FML moment recently: I really love my mom - but I don't appreciate how she treated me back then (especially with a disability) and now (on an occasional time).

She wanted me to act like the other people but sometimes, there are many obstacles facing me in daily life (in which I'm capable to handle). There are many other examples I wanted to share, but it's a bit TL;DR to discuss here.

While I don't necessarily trust my mom for many situations (i.e. travelling abroad), I prefer to have someone (who understands me more - my father and my older sister for example). 

However, I still love my mother regardless.

• 3 weeks later...

That time when a spider lands in the garbage can with bag and trying to smoke it out and squish it. At least I managed to get it since the alternative was getting a bag and throwing it out which the garbage bag is scented too.

At least it was a clear bag that the spider landed in to help better contain the problem. 

• 3 weeks later...

About five minutes after I got home and changed into my indoor lounge wear it started pouring rain like crazy. It couldn't have rained any sooner, like when I was at the bus stop waiting 25 minutes for a late bus?!?!? I love being in the rain, but my timing is always off. I will just have to enjoy it from my balcony.

• Haha 1

I had my credit card locked due someone in the usa was using my card.  Now I'm waiting for my new card to arrive but in the meantime i’m limited by my debit.  Only good thing to happen is that they were awesome and the phone call was only 7 mins. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Girardin71 said:

I had my credit card locked due someone in the usa was using my card.  Now I'm waiting for my new card to arrive but in the meantime i’m limited by my debit.  Only good thing to happen is that they were awesome and the phone call was only 7 mins. 

It appears that you may be a victim - on your credit card information being unknowlingly dumped to the "dark web". Despite the sites that you claim to shop as very reputable, there may be chance that your details were unknowingly sent to the wild in the dark web. Reminds me when I watched these videos (WARNING: Strong Language):

This is why I decided to "lock out, tag out" my credit cards when not in use. It works like this: you go to your bank's website for your credit card and then place a lock on it. After that, you write down the date in which you locked your card on (and wrote a message stating that "this card has been locked - DO NOT USE"). When it's time to use the card again, you have to follow the unlocking procedure.

While my idea may sound comically funny, this is definitely a serious first line of defense.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

This is why I decided to "lock out, tag out" my credit cards when not in use. It works like this: you go to your bank's website for your credit card and then place a lock on it. After that, you write down the date in which you locked your card on (and wrote a message stating that "this card has been locked - DO NOT USE"). When it's time to use the card again, you have to follow the unlocking procedure.

While my idea may sound comically funny, this is definitely a serious first line of defense.

This is fine if you use your credit card sparingly, but a pain to lock and unlock if you are going to use your card every day or every other day. Especially if one (like me) interacts with their bank website from a desktop computer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2024 at 8:47 PM, captaintrolley said:

Not looking forward to the weather this week. Gonna be stupid hot and not a drop of rain in sight. I will endeavor to spend as much of it at home with the shades drawn and the fans on.

It rained. And a good chance for more Wednesday. Rest of the week is tolerable... 24 isn't bad. It isn't until Sunday and Monday it might start to get ugly.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

It rained. And a good chance for more Wednesday. Rest of the week is tolerable... 24 isn't bad. It isn't until Sunday and Monday it might start to get ugly.

Yes, it did rain a bit overnight.  24 is still too hot for me though.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

I think it missed most of Downtown, but we just had a nice early morning thunderstorm all through east Edmonton. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Too hot, can't sleep.  Next week temps will be in the mid 30's. I have been putting off buying an air conditioner, but I may have to cave and get one.

I hate the heatwaves too. My favorite thing about the summer are the extra long daylight hours, but that's it. Unfortunately our AC unit is broken again, and in the meantime I have to make do with a fan and dehumidifier. I'm jealous of the Nordic countries whose summer daylight hours are so long it never gets fully dark at all, and their summers are cooler and generally free of such heatwaves.

31 minutes ago, 81-717 said:

I hate the heatwaves too. My favorite thing about the summer are the extra long daylight hours, but that's it. Unfortunately our AC unit is broken again, and in the meantime I have to make do with a fan and dehumidifier. I'm jealous of the Nordic countries whose summer daylight hours are so long it never gets fully dark at all, and their summers are cooler and generally free of such heatwaves.

I am fine with temperatures around 9-10°C.  However I do like the dark. I don't mind daylight if it is overcast and cloudy, but I really detest blue sky and sunshine.

18 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

I am fine with temperatures around 9-10°C.  However I do like the dark. I don't mind daylight if it is overcast and cloudy, but I really detest blue sky and sunshine.

I'm very split on this one. On one hand I like overcast skies when they block out some of the heatwave, and I love seeing thunderstorm clouds, on the other hand I absolutely hate overcast skies when they block the view above, especially when I had the worst luck during the eclipse.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2024 at 7:56 AM, captaintrolley said:

Today's a cloudy & rainy day here in Toronto, finally at least a temporary break from the heatwave. The house finally cooled down a little bit, but still at 25 degrees. I set up the fan right by the open window to try to bring some of the cooler outside air in.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 81-717 said:

Today's a cloudy & rainy day here in Toronto, finally at least a temporary break from the heatwave. The house finally cooled down a little bit, but still at 25 degrees. I set up the fan right by the open window to try to bring some of the cooler outside air in.

Lucky you.  +37°C with the humidex right now. Sitting here with the fans going full blast.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3