Jump to content

General FML moments


vivablue5215
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, ASzy said:

What provider do you use?

Some will throttle your hotspot if you're the only customer in that area. It gets annoying because lag stuff.

I'm with koodo, but my phone's mobile hotspot is password-protected so it's unlikely to be because of people sponging off of it. Moreover it shows the number of devices connected, which is usually up to 3 (mine and my parents'). It's just extremely frustrating how data-inefficient it is, when I got this phone back in 2018 I expected it to be far more efficient than my previous phone (using a lot less data for the same amount of browsing), yet it's the opposite. I've already increased my monthly plan from like 2 GB to 5, and so on, and eventually to 12, which should be plenty enough (at some point there was an option to switch to 16 for a slightly higher price, but at the time I decided it wasn't necessary; boy do I regret making that decision), and it used to be, until the last few months when I'd find myself having to switch it off & carefully monitor how much is used every time I turn it on. The worst part is how imprecise the number is, this time it told me I was at 100% & it was automatically paused even though it only showed I was at 11.96 (last month it paused when it was 12.something).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So a small plumbing job (replace faucet aerator) ended up turning into a big plumbing job (replace taps and faucet) I guess the assembly was so corroded inside that when he went to turn the aerator mount the whole business cracked. Worst part is I am waiting for the plumber to come back with the part and install it so I can go get my coffee. Plus it's getting hot out... ugh.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Coffee Shop across from me will be closed for 'Family Vacation' August 08-31. Gonna be a tough month.

My deepest sympathies for your loss, even if temporary. It's never easy to lose your reliable caffeine source.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2022 at 12:03 AM, M. Parsons said:

My deepest sympathies for your loss, even if temporary. It's never easy to lose your reliable caffeine source.

Hopefully it's only a temporary loss.  When it's permanent, it really really sucks.

There was a nice independent coffee shop about two blocks from work that had good food and drinks, and it was on two floors.  Part of the seating area was on a balcony inside the shop that overlooked the front part of the ground floor and then out the windows on to the street, which had a nice view.   It was a great place to go on the 4:00 to midnight shift after stopping in at the workshop, forwarding the phone and taking over form the day shift.  Walk over, get a coffee and something to eat, set up a laptop on a table on the second floor and enjoy the view and do administrative work and relax waiting for the first fault call of the day to arrive and then walk the two blocks back to work.

After the llady who ran it packed it in, an unlicensed cannabis store leased the space and set up shop inside until they kept getting busted and shut down.  What a waste.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

After the llady who ran it packed it in, an unlicensed cannabis store leased the space and set up shop inside until they kept getting busted and shut down.  What a waste.

That is terrible.

 

My coffee shop closes for 2-3 weeks every summer.  There is the couple who own / run the store and one employee.  Labor laws indicate that you must give your employee(s) at least two weeks paid vacation a year, so they just close up for a bit. It's a coffee shop / deli and small imported groceries and stuff like that. The couple are Croatian / Serbian, so a lot of items there from that region, plus a majority of their clientele from that region also. People love to sit and chat with their coffee there. It's very European. Not at all like the sterile western civilization where grabbing a coffee means getting a 'double, double' in a paper takeout cup and running off to save the world. People nowadays don't seem to understand the absolute bliss of sitting with a proper cuppa joe and shooting the breeze with others. Yes, some days are harried and rushed, but time should be set aside to savor coffee, either alone, with a crossword, or with friends.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, 503FraserHwy said:

i dropped my HO UP 1995 and something broke on it its not running anymore for fuck sakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

update: i dropped it for a second time and now the shell is cracked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

im so fucking angry rn

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spent the day in Emergency. I was retaining fluid, had ankles the size of buses. They suspected fluid on my heart or lungs also. They hooked me up with an IV to flush the fluids. I'm back home, still not feeling 100 %, but better than I was this morning.

When someone says Stress is a Killer, believe them.

  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't believe how badly EX room mate had broken my spirit. She hasn't been back for a few days although her stuff is still here. I'm just beginning to realize what rough shape I'm in.

NEVER feel sorry for someone and allow them to live with you. It's all drama to get you to feel sorry and cave in, then once they are comfortable and confident they will drown you in their toxicity. Every once in a while they will give you a little gift to make you think they are being sincere. These people are playing a dangerous game with your life.

  • Sad 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2022 at 11:07 AM, 503FraserHwy said:

does anyone have a spare HO scale DC UP 1995 i could have? i couldnt seem to find anymore

I  had to look 1995 up to see what it is/was as I do have a spare UP motor but it is an old Atlas/Roco (made in Austria) GP35; no help there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/29/2022 at 11:15 AM, captaintrolley said:

My pigeons have learned to jump onto the bird feeders, spilling some contents onto the balcony floor to consume. I specifically bought small feeders so they could not get a foothold on them. Buggers.

I was thinking about your post when I grabbed these pictures.  The pigeons aren’t stupid.  Pigeons and doves are normally ground feeders and the perched on my feeders aren’t large enough to land on to feed the normal way.  This pigeon figured out how to eat from my feeders with a tremendous amount of wing-flapping aerobatics to keep pressed up against the side of it while feeding.

2EF0D877-96F5-48EB-B05B-3FFD5DDBE4EF.thumb.jpeg.57825f25817e61471484ab3ae23e8945.jpeg

BD6F8BFD-822E-4377-8FD4-88FCBE919C9A.thumb.jpeg.2c156a8bf2bd1c7815aeca7db19bec99.jpeg

That was an impressive sight to see even though the pigeons aren’t the birds I was intending to feed with these feeders.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

That was an impressive sight to see even though the pigeons aren’t the birds I was intending to feed with these feeders.

Remember there is no such thing as a few pigeons.  Three turn into thirty mighty quick.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Another unforeseen consequence of Covid lockdowns has come to light: out company has been experiencing a wild downturn in sales compared to last year so our hours have been hugely slashed. People are only getting scheduled to work 1 or 2 days a week because apparently, a multibillion dollar corporation's financial plan was based on a (hopefully) once in a lifetime emergency? Instead of raising prices, tightening up the rules around returns and discounts, or doing something about the parasites that walk out of our stores with tens of thousands of dollars of merchandise every single week without paying, people's livelihoods are being jeopardized.

Private sector innovation at its finest, folks!

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, T3G said:

Another unforeseen consequence of Covid lockdowns has come to light: out company has been experiencing a wild downturn in sales compared to last year so our hours have been hugely slashed. People are only getting scheduled to work 1 or 2 days a week because apparently, a multibillion dollar corporation's financial plan was based on a (hopefully) once in a lifetime emergency? Instead of raising prices, tightening up the rules around returns and discounts, or doing something about the parasites that walk out of our stores with tens of thousands of dollars of merchandise every single week without paying, people's livelihoods are being jeopardized.

Private sector innovation at its finest, folks!

I would hope that companies in the business of supplying home and building supplies would have had the foresight to realize that once the world reopened, sales would drop. Home Depot, however, wasn't the only one to apparently not see that coming. 

It is unfortunate that you would seem to be stuck in this situation and I am sympathetic, however I do have counter points.

Raising prices with inflation currently is probably not a good look. First, it could further reduce demand for products and materials if consumers decide that now increasing prices on products and materials has priced them out of completing projects for now, further reducing sales and leading to additional job reductions. Second, if one company increases prices to keep staff employed, but another company doesn't, that gives the leaner company a price advantage, leading a further drop in sales at the one trying to keep staff employed through higher prices.

Rules for returns- I am unfamiliar the policies in your industry, but, I have my doubts that any changes will do much to give additional hours to staff. Becoming stingy with a return policy just gains you a reputation that could, again, drive customers elsewhere if they're easier to deal with.
Discounting- Depends upon the context. Again, unfamiliar with myself, but, in general you sometimes gotta take a lose to move product that isn't moving. It's not good for the balance sheet to have product sitting around and not moving. If it is the context of volume discounts, then the question again is does your competitor still offer the same?

Loss Prevention- Very frustrating. I've seen everything within my company from heavy use of a loss prevention, to a period when we had virtually none. We've evolved since then the ugly days of virtually no loss prevention. Since then technology, and now even environmental design have been employed. I'd be curious how much shrink is budgeted vs. what is actually occurring. I remember being shocked when I read through my first P&L and learned that the shrink line included loss from theft.

I think even if a company understood that they would be unlikely to see the same sales from last year, what are they to do? They need to schedule to needs of the business. There's no point in paying employees to just be there if the customers aren't there. That's not good business sense. They also can't just start letting people go for no reason to reduce the head count as sales drop. Unfortunately, that's where the reduced hours become an incentive for some people to quit and go find somewhere else where they can get more hours, which then allows more hours for everyone else. It's a harsh way of doing it, but, I would imagine that's the way it would play out in a lot of retail environments.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

It is unfortunate that you would seem to be stuck in this situation and I am sympathetic, however I do have counter points.

You bring up some fair points and I will acknowledge I wrote my post quickly after finding out, but I will try to address your counter points as best I can now that I've had an opportunity to cool off a bit.

17 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Raising prices with inflation currently is probably not a good look. First, it could further reduce demand for products and materials if consumers decide that now increasing prices on products and materials has priced them out of completing projects for now, further reducing sales and leading to additional job reductions. Second, if one company increases prices to keep staff employed, but another company doesn't, that gives the leaner company a price advantage, leading a further drop in sales at the one trying to keep staff employed through higher prices.

I think that this approach would theoretically be the least difficult, but you're right, it wouldn't be possible if other companies continue to offer products for lower prices. The price of building materials skyrocketed during COVID but sales didn't go down for that kind of stuff at all, so I'm not necessarily certain that it would lead to a reduction of sales, but I may be talking out of my ass.

17 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Rules for returns- I am unfamiliar the policies in your industry, but, I have my doubts that any changes will do much to give additional hours to staff. Becoming stingy with a return policy just gains you a reputation that could, again, drive customers elsewhere if they're easier to deal with.
Discounting- Depends upon the context. Again, unfamiliar with myself, but, in general you sometimes gotta take a lose to move product that isn't moving. It's not good for the balance sheet to have product sitting around and not moving. If it is the context of volume discounts, then the question again is does your competitor still offer the same?

Our return policy is, on paper, that any product can be returned, except for sensitive electronics such as circuit breakers, within 3 months provided that it is in resellable condition. In practice, however, all it takes is for a customer to raise their voice, preferably colouring their speech with as many invectives as possible, for this policy to go right out the window. There are a few hardline managers, bless them, that will refuse returns when summoned, but the bulk of them will accept just about anything. I have seen used plungers, dead plants, heavily used machinery such as lawnmowers all returned. Makes you wonder what the point is of having any kind of SOP around returns if all it takes is someone screaming for it to be thrown right out.

The same thing applies to discounts - getting rid of slow moving products is one thing, but most discounts that are given out are because the customer picked the wrong item off the shelf, or because there was a price increase and no one bothered to update the product tags on the shelf (this is not the customer's fault, but it leads to shrink for no reason other than general incompetence), or other dubious customer satisfaction initiatives such as the box being opened (why?????) and other such reasons. I am sure that the business plan accounts for some extent of discounts, in fact employees are allowed to give out discounts to a certain level without having to justify themselves to management, but it does feel excessive at times, to say nothing of all the discounts, same as returns, that are given to anyone who makes a big enough stink.

And there's a lot of confusion around discounts, which results in different people doing different things. A few weeks ago, I and a few managers got called to address a cashier-customer dispute about some garden tools which were on clearance. There was a clearance sticker already advertising a generous markdown, but there was a paper on the shelf the tools were on saying that it was an additional 50% off the clearance price. The managers' eyes nearly popped out when they saw this. Just how much of our wages have been given away to customers because of poor communication on issues like this???

17 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Loss Prevention- Very frustrating. I've seen everything within my company from heavy use of a loss prevention, to a period when we had virtually none. We've evolved since then the ugly days of virtually no loss prevention. Since then technology, and now even environmental design have been employed. I'd be curious how much shrink is budgeted vs. what is actually occurring. I remember being shocked when I read through my first P&L and learned that the shrink line included loss from theft.

We have a loss prevention team that we share with other stores in the area. We usually see them about once every two weeks, which is frustrating because they justify their paycheck everytime we do, most days the cops are called to the store multiple times a day. When they're not around, well, their absence is noted. It's especially bad with the reduced staffing levels as even the shoplifters have clued in on this and act accordingly. We got robbed just last night, actually, they left with at least one cart of merchandise and left several behind which they then tried to come back into the store, after closing, to collect!

17 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

I think even if a company understood that they would be unlikely to see the same sales from last year, what are they to do? They need to schedule to needs of the business. There's no point in paying employees to just be there if the customers aren't there. That's not good business sense. They also can't just start letting people go for no reason to reduce the head count as sales drop. Unfortunately, that's where the reduced hours become an incentive for some people to quit and go find somewhere else where they can get more hours, which then allows more hours for everyone else. It's a harsh way of doing it, but, I would imagine that's the way it would play out in a lot of retail environments.

There are a few different issues at play here, from what I can see. The first is that since the company doesn't understand (or has a far too rigid and unchangeable process) that they were not going to see the same sales as last year, it is my suspicion that things are worse than they would be if they based it on sales from this time in 2018 or 2019, with some alterations to account for current inflation. It probably wouldn't be ideal, but because the frame of comparison is up against a record breaking, deeply irregular year, I think it wouldn't be quite as bad. And while sales may be lower than this time last year, skeletal staffing doesn't truly reflect customer demand (especially in the evenings, which are every bit as busy as they were in the summer), nor is it from beneficial from a customer service perspective, either. All it takes is one person to call in sick and any merchandising department is in deep trouble. On many occasions, I've had to tell customers that there was no one available, or on lunch. If you're lucky, they walk away without buying anything... if you're unlucky, lots of scorn directed at you.

Also, if our profits were so record breaking this time last year, where did all that money go? I really hope they haven't squandered it all already!

It's been an absolutely exhausting few years. I'm so tired. Tired of having to do the work of three people, tired of having hate hurled at me from an ungrateful public and having to stand there and take it, and lately, tired of having to break my back for access to every dollar I can get my hands on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My laptop is not able to play certain DVDs and others it will play some episodes and not play others. It's a Lenovo 80xn. The DVDs play on other computers/DVD players.  I'm not sure what's going on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had to bail on riding TTC 3739 which is the last of the electric buses I need to ride in order to ride all 60 to have dinner and get to TTS on time. At least I can try again on Wednesday.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/4/2022 at 1:38 AM, Tom1122 said:

I had to bail on riding TTC 3739 which is the last of the electric buses I need to ride in order to ride all 60 to have dinner and get to TTS on time. At least I can try again on Wednesday.

Indeed.  If you aren't present in your seat all ready to go on time when they take attendance at TTS, the consequences are dire.

You do not want to be called to the front of the room and be made an example of what happens when the full might of the Toronto Transportation Society is brought to bear on someone deemed guilty of such gross misconduct as arriving late and inconveniencing the proceedings of the society.  Right?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...