General FML moments

vivablue5215

TIL The Body Shop, where I get my skin care products, have discontinued their 'jumbo' sizes. One would think that with environmental concerns, they would be promoting their jumbo sizes, and encouraging their reuse at their refill stations. So far only a handful of stores have refill stations, and the refill products at this time is limited to shower gels and shampoos.  I like the jumbo sizes, especially to keep on hand in my rented locker at the pool.

My mom was supposed to be returning from Europe from the funeral tomorrow, but her fucking flight has been delayed by 20 hours due to a "pilot scheduling conflict"!

I would expect higher standards of crew redundancy at an airline than some cut rate big box store, but clearly that was naive of me 😐

• Sad 2

Twisted my lower back. Off to physiotherapy and chiropractor on Monday. The next two days of work will be rough. Thankfully I don't do much heavy lifting at the airport anymore.

I was walking around with a sore left foot for the last few weeks. Thinking it was the new work shoes, they just needed breaking in and I got a sore heel as it happened with the right foot but wore off after awhile. Since the pain was on and off, I didn't think much. Continued working and excerising only to realize that it's getting worse and not better. This isn't the first time I've experienced a back injury. I injured it in 2018 and 2019 when I worked in fast food. Not sure where or when I injured it but I assume at work. So not happy that I have to give up climbing and working out for the next little while. But it's for the best. 

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Greatcoinz said:

Twisted my lower back. Off to physiotherapy and chiropractor on Monday. The next two days of work will be rough. Thankfully I don't do much heavy lifting at the airport anymore.

I was walking around with a sore left foot for the last few weeks. Thinking it was the new work shoes, they just needed breaking in and I got a sore heel as it happened with the right foot but wore off after awhile. Since the pain was on and off, I didn't think much. Continued working and excerising only to realize that it's getting worse and not better. This isn't the first time I've experienced a back injury. I injured it in 2018 and 2019 when I worked in fast food. Not sure where or when I injured it but I assume at work. So not happy that I have to give up climbing and working out for the next little while. But it's for the best. 

You don't have to give up working out altogether. Hit up the pool and gently work your back, a little bit at a time. Throw on some pull buoys and you can do upper body workout, or an aquabelt and do water jogging. Being weightless in the water will not put any strain on your back as long as you don't work it or wist in a way that will aggravate it. Keep your spine as straight as possible for the next little while. Good luck.  ♥♥♥

• Thanks 1

On 4/8/2022 at 12:40 PM, captaintrolley said:

You don't have to give up working out altogether. Hit up the pool and gently work your back, a little bit at a time. Throw on some pull buoys and you can do upper body workout, or an aquabelt and do water jogging. Being weightless in the water will not put any strain on your back as long as you don't work it or wist in a way that will aggravate it. Keep your spine as straight as possible for the next little while. Good luck.  ♥♥♥

I haven't swam in over 10 years so that's something to consider if I got the time or healing will take longer. I'm usually lifting weights or bouldering/rock climbing to maintain upper strength. I guess after a week of physio I can go for a long walk.

Ended up calling in on Saturday after zero sleep and in extreme pain but went back on Sunday. The pain subsided so I was able to work without much trouble on Sunday but it turns out I twisted my pelvis. So it wasn't much of a back issue. Since I can bend and walk without much trouble at least I can continue working which was my biggest concern. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Greatcoinz said:

I haven't swam in over 10 years so that's something to consider

Time to get reacquainted.  As you get older, bouldering / rock climbing is not going to do you any favors. Great for now, but one day you will find you just can't do many of the same things anymore. Right now it seems as if you will be able to do those forever.  One day, almost seemingly overnight, the tiniest misstep or twist will render your youthful body (almost) useless.  Water is great for strength training with resistance equipment, and you can work on RoM (range of motion) without fear of landing on your head and hurting something. Lap swimming is great, but there are tons of other things to do in the water to keep the old bones moving. Right now you can supplement with aqua therapy, but in another 30-40 years, you may have to rely on it a bit more, so get reacquainted soon. The pool is there for you.

i ordered some masks on amazon last night, i have prime so id get them today, well my package arrived and it wasnt masks, it was a bathroom faucet! amazon refunded my money and said "do what you want with it"  but i have no masks and a faucet i have no use for, might donate it... 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alright, my first off-topic post in the general forum. I'm in charge of maintenance in a sailing co-operative, three boats.

Our flagship boat was destroyed yesterday, a boat that I had spent almost six hundred hours restoring up to good condition.

Just finished designing and building a new dodger, had replumbed it, deep-cleaned it, got the engine working again, sealed up all the leaky windows and deck fittings, replaced some of the lines, replaced some of the wiring, and I just started a reconditioning of the upholstery in preparation for the summer season where our members usually go out for overnight trips and I wanted the boat to be in good condition. While sewing some patches onto the backside of one of the cushions I got a phone call that the boat had run aground and so severely hit a rock that it was taking on water because of the angular torque put on the keel. Sadly this is a write-off situation, so I now have the distinct displeasure of cutting up a boat that I spent the last year bringing back to life because someone looked away from their navigation instruments for ten seconds too long and didn't look at the depth charts. 'm really choked up right now. Not even angry at the person who crashed the thing - he did a lot of work on the boat too, including the bulk of the engine work - but more sad about the whole situation. I learned pretty much all my keelboat experience on this vessel and she's gone forever because of one screw-up.

Worst weekend in the last few years.

• Sad 3

I've come down with a cold and one of the three remaining TTC electric buses that I have yet to ride (as well as the only one I have yet to photograph) is in service for the first time in months.

Bought my room mate a $50.00 BP gift card for her birthday early last month. She went to use it last night and it didn't work.  Now I have to take it back to Staples where I bought it. I guess the cashier didn't activate the card. Always something on top of all the other stuff I have to do.

On 5/19/2022 at 2:10 PM, captaintrolley said:

Bought my room mate a $50.00 BP gift card for her birthday early last month. She went to use it last night and it didn't work.  Now I have to take it back to Staples where I bought it. I guess the cashier didn't activate the card. Always something on top of all the other stuff I have to do.

So room mate gave me the card that 'didn't work' and it was not the one I gave her.  The one I gave her had two halves that snap apart, the bottom half being the actual card. Anyhow, both halves indicated that the card was for $50.00, but the one she gave me was one of those custom amounts $25.00-$500.00. So I told her when she digs through her purse and finds one for $50.00 to try it at BP to see if it works.

I'd have looked stupid returning the wrong card.

• Haha 1

Stupid day today. 

Firstly, bus driver almost drove right past me. He's just La De Dahing in the center lane, day dreaming, so I start waving my arms frantically. He did stop at the last minute. He's like " LOL, I recognize that arm"  I'm like, maybe a bit less arm and start recognizing the bus stops a bit more. Then he says " If you can't say anything nice..." to which I interrupted.. "I am being nice, you haven't even begun to see nasty from me"

Old bugger too, I remember him from 40 or more years back already. Senior enough to get jammy work.  Easy job if you're gonna stay in the center lane LOL. Wife probably doesn't want him at home.

Secondly, they got my coffee order wrong at Second Cup. And not even one of those fancy coffees, just a Double Espresso Long Shot with a small amount of cold milk. I guess that sounds like an Americano.

And the pool was crowded.  Lots of tourists in my lane. Ugh.

• Sad 1

Went to Safeway today hoping to score some more of those lovely, delicious Heirloom tomatoes, but they were all out.

Also, they are renovating their washroom, so it was a very quick grocery trip, had to leave out a few items from my list. The food court is a long ways off when the need is urgent.

So inflation finally caught up to the lovely coffee shop across from me. Fair enough, they haven't raised their prices since before I started going there in 2016.  They installed a brand new menu board, and of course when that happens there are always changes. 

Looks like they are not bringing back sandwiches to the menu. They stopped making the sandwiches when covid hit because of decreased patronage. I've been eagerly awaiting the return of their Egg Salad sandwich, only the best in town, but alas, memories will have to suffice.

The spruce trees are shedding pollen like crazy. First time since living here (six years) that I've seen it this bad. I have a thick layer of yucky yellow pollen all over my balcony.

It's funny to see the squirrels jumping around in the trees and each time one lands on a branch, a huge cloud of yellow pollen erupts.

It's a full time chore keeping the bird bath water clean. LOL.  Good thing I have no allergies.

That pollen has coated my windows, can barely see out. I will have to wait for it to subside before I wash windows again.

Have a scale model Ford F-350 Lariat dually truck I got for my birthday. I was trying to fix the windshield, which insisted on not adhering to the other side of the truck's cab even with the usage of Superglue. So now I've got superglue on my thumbs, a shirt I can't wash anymore, and smudges and cloudy marks on a windshield that won't stick where it's supposed to.

At least my jet's wing tip took the treatment well. CNT33-M5, better known as Free Fallers 163 (Matchbox Sky-busters M0183 "Sky Cargo") will be ready for it's not-so-maiden voyage by Saturday.

The ford is an FML. The jetliner is not much of a positive

offset.

Not my FML moment but my neighbors (Lydia).  We were going to run errands and she was to collect me from the coffee shop and we were going to go from there.  I waited about 45 minutes for her. I tried texting and calling her, but she must not have topped up her cell phone because nothing was going through.  Anyhow, her friend Joan ended up texting me to say that Lydia is waiting for the police because when she got to her car, someone was sleeping in it.  Her day didn't get much better after that. 

Actually I did have an FML moment, but not earth shattering.  While at the Bakery / Deli there were three items on my list of things to buy that they were out of *sigh*. Still managed to get the other items though, so not a total waste of time.