vivablue5215

General FML moments

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

Funnily enough, the package ended up arriving this afternoon after I'd written to support and was advised to order replacements. The replacement order was promptly cancelled. :lol:

I'm definitely with you on disliking online ordering. If I had it my way I would've bought all 3 films in person at a store, but when I was at Walmart last week they didn't have any of them, so other arrangements had to be made.

I'm finding that more and more stores are offering less selection and encouraging online purchasing.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

One reason I dislike ordering online. I especially will not use Amazon. I may order directly from a store, and only after careful deliberation and reassurance that they are reliable and have quality merchandise. And only if they use Canada Post.  Those delivery companies can be a bit careless. They will either leave something out in the open, or leave a sticky note on the door (which can be removed by anyone) stating 'Sorry we missed you', and the item must be picked up at their warehouse - which is in the boonies and has poor hourly peak hour only bus service.

That being said, I do hope your shipment surfaces in time for the holidays. ūüėä

Funny enough, I've had the reverse problem.  The courier companies are usually good about leaving the "We missed you" slips on the door and I don't mind driving out to the hinterlands to collect my package knowing that it's been stored in a secure indoor location.  On the other hand, Canada Post has left stuff sitting on my front porch.

This happened most recently back in late September.  I had decided to turn over (as in replace, not surrender it to the "you-can't-do-that complicated electronics" transit fans) my soldering equipment for the workshop at home and placed an order with Hakko's main Canadian distributor which is based in Sherbrooke, Quebec, which rules out any kind of any practical in person visit from where I live.  So, they shipped everything out by Canada Post on the Friday of the week and the expected delivery date was the Friday of the next week.  I wasn't going to start looking for anything until the Wednesday at the earliest so I was scrolling through notification emails on my phone during a quiet spell at work and saw a status change to "delivered" that was datestamped Monday.  Fast shipping is great except it was Tuesday afternoon and apparently this package has been sitting on my front porch in the pouring rain for two days if a) the email's to be believed; and, b) nobody's walked off with it.  I thought about calling the neighbours to ask them to check but they'd have been at work too so I raced home as soon as the afternoon guy came in and took over from me and sure enough, when I pull into the driveway, I see the corner of the box.  I brought it in and opened up the soggy cardboard and discovered that the shipping box had taken the rain and everything inside was dry and undamaged.  Thanks Canada Post for leaving about $800 worth of tools sitting out in the weather on my front porch for anyone to walk off with.

16 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

These aren't, by chance, the type of films that have to be shipped in an unmarked black bag, are they? :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Only if I had to sneak them past my peers. I'm not sure I'm ready to advertise to the world that I love romantic films...

It would depend on how intimate those romantic films are and if he's old enough for that sort of thing yet.

16 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

True, but you guys also know that I've spent the last decade photographing ordinary buses doing extremely ordinary, not-at-all noteworthy things, so this is as safe a place to admit it as I'll find on the internet. ¬Į\_(„ÉĄ)_/¬Į :lol:

Photographing unremarkable buses for a decade and counting?  You call yourself a PCC guy?  For shame!  For shame!  Shame, I say!

Clearly we have our work cut out but not to worry, we'll make a real PCC guy out of you yet!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

Funny enough, I've had the reverse problem.  The courier companies are usually good about leaving the "We missed you" slips on the door and I don't mind driving out to the hinterlands to collect my package knowing that it's been stored in a secure indoor location.  

I live in a building with 184 units. Lots of people coming and going through our front door. I've seen some of the delivery sticky notes on the ground and all trampled upon.  I do mind if stuff is at the warehouse. I don't drive, and even if I did bus it, extremely large items are impossible to drag home on the bus (like a mattress). The company I bought the mattress from was nice enough to send an employee to the DHL warehouse and pick up the mattress and deliver it to me. That was about 8 years ago. I doubt they would go to that length now.

For small and medium packages we have Canada Post parcel lock-boxes in our lobby. Very convenient, which is why I prefer Canada Post deliveries. I am just making sure IF I ever do order anything online, it can fit in the parcel lock-boxes.

4 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

t would depend on how intimate those romantic films are and if he's old enough for that sort of thing yet.

I'm plenty old enough, but who's the sucker that would pay for a physical copy of one? :lol:

4 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Photographing unremarkable buses for a decade and counting?  You call yourself a PCC guy?  For shame!  For shame!  Shame, I say!

Clearly we have our work cut out but not to worry, we'll make a real PCC guy out of you yet!

Well, there's not really many PCCs around anymore, so you have to make do :(

Also I never said "unremarkable buses", careful! The Orion Vs may have been ordinary, but they were also lovely buses ūüėČ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

I'm plenty old enough, but who's the sucker that would pay for a physical copy of one? :lol:

Well, there's not really many PCCs around anymore, so you have to make do :(

Also I never said "unremarkable buses", careful! The Orion Vs may have been ordinary, but they were also lovely buses ūüėČ

Well, if you've ever needed to leave one somewhere to scandalize someone!

And no, there aren't many PCCs left anymore.  I was talking with someone the other day and even the number of salvageable hulks is dwindling which in a way is good news considering things nobody ever expected to see 10+ years ago like long retired El Paso PCCs being brought back from the dead or SEPTA's PCC-II fleet, so things that had been parked for ages are running again.  Just not in Toronto because, as they keep telling us, Toronto is a world class city.  Which means we don't get to enjoy the nice things other places get to have.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Just not in Toronto because, as they keep telling us, Toronto is a world class city.  Which means we don't get to enjoy the nice things other places get to have.

At least Toronto has more class than Edmonton. It is not nicknamed Deadmonton for nothing. ūüėā

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

At least Toronto has more class than Edmonton. It is not nicknamed Deadmonton for nothing. ūüėā

I always liked Edmonton plus you have to admit, Procol Harum recorded a hell of a live album with the symphony.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Well, if you've ever needed to leave one somewhere to scandalize someone!

You got me there!

53 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Just not in Toronto because, as they keep telling us, Toronto is a world class city. ¬†Which means we don't get to enjoy the nice things other places get to have. ÔĽŅ

Toronto is something else, indeed. Anytime the idea of a transit museum is floated, it's met with all sorts of intelligent comments like "But our fleet is vintage enough already!", as though that somehow constitutes an argument. It's rough. And to the topic of the PCCs in particular, it's a shame how few surviving specimens there are of the Toronto fleet. For a fleet with 15 subclasses and a decent amount of visual variety, you've only got 2 styles that are operational (the A8/15s which are everywhere, and the lone W-30/31 at HCRR as a representative for the A11 class).

19 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

You got me there!

Toronto is something else, indeed. Anytime the idea of a transit museum is floated, it's met with all sorts of intelligent comments like "But our fleet is vintage enough already!", as though that somehow constitutes an argument. It's rough. And to the topic of the PCCs in particular, it's a shame how few surviving specimens there are of the Toronto fleet. For a fleet with 15 subclasses and a decent amount of visual variety, you've only got 2 styles that are operational (the A8/15s which are everywhere, and the lone W-30/31 at HCRR as a representative for the A11 class).

Toronto is a place of business. A place where yuppies and scammers can earn a quick buck. There is no culture of civic pride. Only a culture of popup condos, restaurants with a shelf life of 6 months, cheap snap-together "art" and (did I mention) yuppies? As for PCCs I do believe the USA has more of our PCCs than we do. LOL

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

You got me there!

It blew my mind back in 1990 when I sat in the subway for what forever and a day trying to catch the last train of Gloucesters to take a last ride that when I finally asked if one of the last trains was out and was told that they'd been retired a couple of weeks earlier, that the TTC was also not planning on keeping a set.  Those trains were significant because they were the first subway trains to run in Canada, never mind Toronto.  There was no other subway in the country until Montreal opened theirs in 1966.

The trolley bus situation is kind of unique in that the infrastructure to run them is gone completely.  When you think about it, the only things that ever ran in Toronto that aren't still running in some shape or form are trolley buses and horse cars.  Fleets have turned over many times for buses, the subway, and streetcars but all of those are still going.  The only thing I can see being added to that list would be ICTS but I'm not sure I feel confident writing that off has having an end coming.  The Scarborough LRT is a political non starter and if the cost of a subway extension, especially one with more than one stop, balloons to the point where no politician can eat the cost to taxpayers without getting raked over the cost/benefit coals, I can see Bombardier being commissioned to build a fleet of cars with ICTS MK. 2. equipment installed on a carbody that fits Scarborough RT clearances as the 'none of the above' compromise.

The PCC situation is grim like you mentioned.  On the other hand, it's better than places like Brooklyn, Baltimore, and Montreal where only one car from each exists.  Vancouver, Cincinnati, Birmingham, and Johnstown fared worse.  Philadelphia's also underrepresented.  Every operational car is a 1947/1948 GOH all electric even if 2743 and 2168 have been backdated in the exterior paint.  2054 is the only preserved air car that I know of and it isn't operational.  The other one whose number I'm forgetting that was owned by Jan K. Lorenzen that eventually wound its way to the Baltimore Streetcar Museum got cut up several years ago after being parted out.  Oddly, there seems to be a fairly decent cross section of Pittsburgh PCCs that are preserved but I don't know how many of the air cars are in operating condition.

But yes, all things considered, there's all but nothing left of what was once the world's largest fleet and that's unfortunate.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

I always liked Edmonton plus you have to admit, Procol Harum recorded a hell of a live album with the symphony.

Bus-wise though, it is not a very classy city..

• Like 1

It gets worse when you think about the variants that still technically exist at the HCRR. I don't blame them for what happened with 4386, 4426 and 4684; they were essentially forced to build their operation from the ground up with precious little as far as monetary resources go and the fact that they've managed to save as much as they have is most admirable; but it nevertheless depresses me when I think that in a decade or less, the only way for someone to see those particular styles of PCC will be in some book, or otherwise travel halfway across the continent to see one.  The A6/A7 style is at least one that is not all that uncommon, but once 4684 is gone you'll have the choice between a couple of the bastardized SEPTA rebuilds from the 80s, the rotting remains of one at either Seashore or Shoreline Trolley Museums, and then one that's on display outside Kansas City's Union station. A real winning selection :rolleyes:

@Downsview 108 was bang on with that analysis of the Toronto civic culture (or to be more accurate, lack thereof). Having been uprooted many times in my life, I've tried to keep up with transit information from all over, and both Bratislava and especially Prague manage to boast quite sizeable transit fleets, despite not being anywhere close to being the richest cities on the planet. In the case of Prague, they've got around 10 of their classic T3 cars (European PCCs) preserved as museum cars, and another 16 for a special nostalgia service that runs every day, and that's before I get to the countless other specimens of tram, bus, and trolley that they have saved. Both cities also run special services on holidays and such, that attract a lot of public interest. Such an appreciation towards the past in a city like Toronto is unimaginable, and they weren't occupied by the Soviets for 50 years!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Downsview 108 said:

Toronto is a place of business. A place where yuppies and scammers can earn a quick buck. There is no culture of civic pride. Only a culture of popup condos, restaurants with a shelf life of 6 months, cheap snap-together "art" and (did I mention) yuppies? As for PCCs I do believe the USA has more of our PCCs than we do. LOL

Even then it's a limited subset of business.  It's rapidly stratifying into high end office work in various lines of business or low end service work, and the broad section of stuff in the middle has been in the process of being hollowed out for ages now.  I remember riding the Long Branch car making a mental list of places I was going to apply for work once I was in the final semester of college and there were some other young hopefuls on the car as well talking to each other about applying at Arvin-Meritor.  All those places are gone now.  The number of places I've either worked at or thought about applying at that are now gone keeps getting longer.  I went into the wrong line of work; I should've gotten into construction and made my living throwing together cheap and nasty condo buildings.

Toronto's all about sucking money and warehousing the workers in crappy condos and distracting them with cheap entertainment.  I bet the December issue of Toronto Life magazine wails about how horrible it is to wait until the end of 2019 for GM to shut down Oshawa because that means the plant buildings won't be available as a pop-up venue for a whole year!

Yes, you mentioned yuppies.  But you forgot hipsters.  Remember, no beard, no tats, no service!  It's no longer about not having shirt and shoes anymore.

• Like 2

It's rapidly stratifying into high end office work in various lines of business or low end service work, and the broad section of stuff in the middle has been in the process of being hollowed out for ages now.

You said it. Makes me wonder why there are so many colleges here. What use is a $25,000 degree when the only jobs available for college students are restaurant server jobs. 

I remember riding the Long Branch car making a mental list of places I was going to apply for work once I was in the final semester of college and there were some other young hopefuls on the car as well talking to each other about applying at Arvin-Meritor.  All those places are gone now.  The number of places I've either worked at or thought about applying at that are now gone keeps getting longer.  I went into the wrong line of work; I should've gotten into construction and made my living throwing together cheap and nasty condo buildings.

I used to live in New Toronto for a little while. I couldn't believe it when I read a few years later that it was once a manufacturing power centre not just for the city but the country. I lived right across the street from the remains of the Goodyear plant. The remains remain. 

Toronto's all about sucking money and warehousing the workers in crappy condos and distracting them with cheap entertainment.

There's still entertainment? The live music scene isn't even what it used to be a decade ago!

Yes, you mentioned yuppies.  But you forgot hipsters.  Remember, no beard, no tats, no service!  It's no longer about not having shirt and shoes anymore.

Believe me, I know what you mean. Funny thing is in many ways they're deeply conservative. 

• Like 1

It's funny how one's opinion can go through a 180 degree shift.  I remember this beautiful summer night standing on the roof of the cooke factory at Lakeshore and Parklawn.  Or, to give it its full name, the Kraft Foods North America Lakeshore Bakery.  The sun had just gone down, there was a light breeze, and the guy from the elevator service company and I were standing there just taking a break because both of us were having a rough day.  I pointed at a couple of the streetcars off in the distance on the other side of the lawn on Lakeshore Rd. and told the guy that I wanted to be on one of them.  Get me out of here, take me home.  I'd ended up at the place against my will and hated being there and hated the circumstances of my being there and just wanted out.  Having a bunch of angry production workers seriously on my case all day because the south mixing elevator broke down and they had to walk wheelbarrows of cookie dough all the way to the other end of the building and ride up to the second floor in the north elevator, then walk the wheelbarrows all the way back to load up the hoppers at the start of the product lines made it that much worse.  That's how I ended up on the roof with the elevator guy watching streetcars roll by where condos were about halfway through replacing the motels.

I thought that place had a future too.  There was new automated packaging equipment from Schubert being installed and all the control equipment was being turned over.  Most of the place was running on touchscreen PLC stuff that was state of the art, there was a major project on one of the lines to extend the oven in order to make products that needed a longer cooking time in addition to a whole-line control refit with the touch screens and the PLCs to make it all work.  I think only the Bits'n'Bites line still had the racks and racks of cam sequencers and relays and electropneumatic control apparatus but that wasn't original to the factory and was newer.  People used to hand me resumes hoping to get hired there.  I used to forward them along whenever someone gave me one.  Anyways, I got out and was happy to be out.  A few months later there was a corporate reorganization and the snack food part of the business got spun off into Mondolez and they applied to get the zoning changed for condos even as these projects continued.  As soon as that was approved, they relocated all the work to a new plant in Mexico and shut the place down a couple of years later.  Their PR statements about how the factory was obsolete because it opened in 1948 made me really bitter.  Outside of some of the building and the ovens, it was pretty much all modern and they were implying to the public that it was like walking into a time capsule of obsolesnce as the justification for shutting it down even though it had been kept up during Kraft ownership right through to the very end.  I hope the people who handed me resumes all ended up somewhere else that lasted.

Now it's a hole in the ground being excavated for yet another condo development.  Now I'm sad whenever I drive by that it's gone.  I hope everyone who got laid off landed on their feet.  I hope the people at the Peak Freans factory on the other side of town take this into consideration along with what happened to the Oreo factory in Montreal and plan accordingly around what Mondolez no doubt has in mind for that place.  And the hollowing out continues.  And the government's view on it seems to be that if the displaced people can't find work in the office towers on Bay St. fleecing the Canadian public, there's plenty of opportunities to pour fancy coffees and drinks for those who do. It's a fine state of affairs.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

I thought it was REDmonton due to its bias towards red candidates...

2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Oh man, excellent choice of music there my friend!

I was updating one of my fleet rosters on the Paint program and it ended up too big and it wouldn't open due to Paint not being able to read the file.

I had to download an app called IrfanView 32-bit an open my file there and save it there too. 

I was able to open the file successfully except the pictures of the bus I drew and the info at the bottom came out blurry but at least I was able to save them instead of deleting the file altogether and have to do the whole thing all over again.

I removed the buses in the fleet that are currently retiring to save space.

Thank god I didn't lost this picture on Paint. I've worked very hard to build it and I've got tons of these on the Paint program and they mostly match the info on the wiki

On 12/9/2018 at 1:47 PM, STO_1601 said:

I was updating one of my fleet rosters on the Paint program and it ended up too big and it wouldn't open due to Paint not being able to read the file.

I had to download an app called IrfanView 32-bit an open my file there and save it there too. 

IrfanView kicks ass.

Anyways, why would you use Paint for detailing fleet rosters?! 

Seems to me a spreadsheet would work better. 

58 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

Why would you use Paint for detailing fleet rosters?! 

So I can add a drawing of the bus above.

This is primary example seen below. I copy certain pieces of the bus and paste them to other fleet rosters so they match with the others. 

STO 1401.png

4 hours ago, STO_1601 said:

So I can add a drawing of the bus above.

This is primary example seen below. I copy certain pieces of the bus and paste them to other fleet rosters so they match with the others. 

ÔĽŅ STO 1401.png

You can add images to cells in Excel and other spreadsheets.  That way you can continue to use Paint or any other graphics program of your choice to prepare the artwork and then add it to a spreadsheet containing the other data.  The real over the top approach would be to use a database program instead like Open Office Base, Paradox, Access, and have a field for each entry that contains a pointer to the relevant media file with the artwork and unlike a spreadsheet, with a database, you can run queries!

So mom WAS scheduled to have some cancer removed from the side of her head this coming Thursday. The dermatologist (Dr. Lycka) mailed some pre-op forms to moms doctor (Dr. Sereda) at the nursing home.. only they were addressed to MOM not to the doctor. The receptionist at the nursing home re-enveloped them and mailed them to me. I just got the forms today (Dec 11). The forms were dated Nov. 14 and were to be returned to the dermatologists by Dec. 03, or the surgery would have to be cancelled / rescheduled.  Good Grief. Do these secretaries (medical office assistants I believe the term is) not think about what they are doing??? If Dr. Sereda has to fill out the forms, address them to him. Should be pretty straight forward wouldn't you think?  If someone has an active POA then clearly that person is not capable of much, so really, nothing of importance should be addressed to them.

Anyhow, moms surgery has to be rescheduled. Since the spot where Dr. Lycka originally removed the (cancerous) lesion is almost completely healed up, and is not giving mom any more pain, I'm thinking to just postpone it till the summer. Carting her around by wheelchair taxi in the cold, ice and snow is unsettling for her and hard on me too - I'm no spring chicken any more either.  They want to remove several layers of skin just to make sure they get it all, but really, who's to say they didn't get it all when they removed the lesion? I'm thinking it wouldn't have healed as nicely if they didn't 'get it all'.

Edit:  Today the head RN from the nursing home called to say they had the dermatologist fax over the pre-op forms, the nursing home doctor filled them out and faxed them back. Mom's appointment is going ahead as scheduled. Really ?!?!?!?... they couldn't have done that in the first place. ???

On 12/11/2018 at 9:26 PM, captaintrolley said:

Really ?!?!?!?... they couldn't have done that in the first place. ???

Consider with whom you are dealing!¬† ūüźĪ

• Like 1