General FML moments

vivablue5215

So I applied to a job at a newspaper, and a week ago I was told I had moved on to the next part of the application, which involved preparing a three part story package that involved five unique story pitches, writing one of them out, and then pitching two follow up stories.

Spent the last week preparing that package together, sent it off about a half an hour ago.

Have already been rejected.

Who even cares anymore?

• Sad 8

On May 5, 2019 at 11:48 AM, 7575 said:

If I were an Incel, I could tell you, but unfortunately I don't have an answer. Incels just transfer to an imaginary world in their brain where women are topless and girls in bikinis serve you drinks. But I have to admit, if that was the real world, you would NOT see me complaining. 

It can be the real world.  You just need to pick your vacation destinations carefully.

• Haha 2

On May 6, 2019 at 5:04 PM, PCC Guy said:

So I applied to a job at a newspaper, and a week ago I was told I had moved on to the next part of the application, which involved preparing a three part story package that involved five unique story pitches, writing one of them out, and then pitching two follow up stories.

Spent the last week preparing that package together, sent it off about a half an hour ago.

Have already been rejected.

Who even cares anymore?

Apparently my reply didn't post...the button's still greyed out says "Saving" two days later so I'll try again.  This is what I'd written:

They looked at that large package you put together for less than 30 minutes and tossed it?  That's insane.  I'm sorry to hear you went to all that trouble for them to reject you after the most cursory of glances.  I just took a look on the CBC website and there's two reporter jobs in Toronto listed plus one that's in Kitchener so while not Toronto, not too far away, and there's a few others in really far flung locations that might be interesting.  I took a look at the Toronto Star's website and of all the things they're attempting to hire, there's only one reporter job listed and it's in Calgary.  Strangely, it's the same with the Globe and Mail as well.  Only one reporter job listed and it's in Calgary too.  I really hope something good comes your way soon after all that work getting through school and hunting for employment.

• Like 1

I accidentally laminated some personal documents which I wasn't supposed too. I call the office up in Edmonton and left a voicemail saying I damaged the documents and requesting new ones. The irony is this. I got a voicemail from some lady saying I need to call a number and request new documents. The number she gave was the exact one that the lady was contacting me from with the same extensions. I'm going to freak out the next morning when I get a voicemail saying I have to contact this number again. Next time I'll ask ahead before I "protect" these documents in really, I made them invalid. Do these people really know what they're doing at their job? 

6 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Apparently my reply didn't post...the button's still greyed out says "Saving" two days later so I'll try again.  This is what I'd written:

They looked at that large package you put together for less than 30 minutes and tossed it?  That's insane.  I'm sorry to hear you went to all that trouble for them to reject you after the most cursory of glances.  I just took a look on the CBC website and there's two reporter jobs in Toronto listed plus one that's in Kitchener so while not Toronto, not too far away, and there's a few others in really far flung locations that might be interesting.  I took a look at the Toronto Star's website and of all the things they're attempting to hire, there's only one reporter job listed and it's in Calgary.  Strangely, it's the same with the Globe and Mail as well.  Only one reporter job listed and it's in Calgary too.  I really hope something good comes your way soon after all that work getting through school and hunting for employment.

Thank you for your words of support. I believe that I have applied to those particular jobs at the CBC, since they don't pop up terribly frequently, and I always apply to them when they do. Unfortunately, them (and the entire journalism industry, it seems) feels a bit like an exclusive club. Astonishingly difficult to break into if you don't have connections. haven't had so much as a single callback from anyone in the industry.

And yep, got tossed less than half an hour after my submisssion. They probably had the job lined up for a nephew of the edito r or somehing . Too bad they couldn't have given him the job before I spent a week on this.

The KFC on eglinton near Caledonia closed down. Nearest location now is Lawerence and Keele or Dufferin mall. Have to wait a bit longer for Mother’s Day dinner now. The St Clair and oakwood location closed down long ago as the owner of the land wanted condos which have just opened up.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, WMATAC40LF said:

I got all four of my wisdom teeth removed this morning, and while I'm not hurting as badly as I had expected, I am bummed that I can't eat anything substantial for a couple of days.

You'll be eating up a storm in no time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STO_1601 said:

We've been having too many rainy days in Ontario this month! What's up with that?

Send all your rainy days to Alberta. We are shriveling up it is so dry here.  Plus tons of wildfires. Two rainy days so far this spring / summer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

This shit.

image.jpg

Makes me often remember when people disliked me when admit that I favor Winter and -30*c over summer. You either get cold yet clear blue skies or hot with Forest fire smoke. At least you can breathe in the winter. 

• Like 3

My phone unexpectedly turned off, and upon turning back on, it decided it didn't like my SD card with 9GB of photos (and video, including my un-uploaded video on U2 2031). Because I don't have access to a computer, they are as good as gone.

Screenshot_20190606-205444.png

Update: a friend let me use his computer to copy to another USB drive. Unfortunately, while I was in the middle of copying them over, it dismounted itself. When I remounted it, everything was gone. All Recuva could do was recover a few photos, and a semi-corrupted video from Saskatoon.

• Sad 2

28 minutes ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

My phone unexpectedly turned off, and upon turning back on, it decided it didn't like my SD card with 9GB of photos (and video, including my un-uploaded video on U2 2031). Because I don't have access to a computer, they are as good as gone.

Damn, that's unforunate.  I've had many close calls with SD cards either malfunctioning or deleting files over the past few months I've been constantly backing up files.  My first bit of advice is until you get your card to work (either by luck or by using a recovery software), try not to write to the card.  It can sometimes damage other files on the card.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TechSpotlight said:

Damn, that's unforunate.  I've had many close calls with SD cards either malfunctioning or deleting files over the past few months I've been constantly backing up files.  My first bit of advice is until you get your card to work (either by luck or by using a recovery software), try not to write to the card.  It can sometimes damage other files on the card.

Tried on a friend's computer, but it didn't work (I updated my original post)

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

The job search saga continues, as it appears that I have been duped by a scammer.

I was contacted by the HR rep of a major company, explaining that they were looking for an administrative assistant and whether I would be interested in the position. I presume that they got my resume off Indeed.

I was very interested in this, especially since they were offering quite a good pay rate - so I replied back saying as much, and they replied with an application form that asked me for my personal details, employment references and educational history, etc. They also asked me for my phone number, to contact me if they felt that they needed more information.

Fast forward about a day. I came upon my phone and saw that I had missed a call from an unknown number, and had an email from these people telling me that I had been offered the job, with a pdf contract attached. Something started to smell off about this, so I wrote back saying that there must be some mistake - why would they hire me without having interviewed me? - but if they cleared this up I would still be interested in coming aboard. They replied, in a very curt manner of voice, that they had attempted to contact me, but I didn't pick up. I replied back by saying that I had been away, and asked for a phone number to call them back at if I missed their call again.

Well, I didn't hear back from them all day the next day, and I started to suspect that something was off. After being unable to locate said HR rep on LinkedIn, and being unable to find the offices of their company at the given address in Toronto, I discovered that the email had been sent from an unusual address - companynamehrteam . info, instead of companyname.ca, as emails from that company usually came. A quick interaction with the company's Twitter, and I found out that this was not a legitimate email. Absolutely fooled me, though - everything was formatted super professionally, including their forms.

Bastards! Heaven only knows what sort of shit I would have been roped into if I'd ended up signing that contract. When it rains, it pours.