General FML moments

vivablue5215

For the first time ever, Ritual is having a "Bonus Boost" promotion where one can earn 2000 bonus points for placing three orders this week. Seizing this opportunity, I placed an order for hot chocolate yesterday at 5:00 (a time I never ordered before; I only did so around the lunch hour). The order appeared as ready in 5 minutes, so I left the office to pick it up. The app listed the store, by the onomatopoeic name of "Nez Yum Yum" as a 10-minute walk away; unfortunately, the directions provided were not clear enough and I got lost a few times, going into and out of the PATH a few times and at one point even walking past the store front without noticing it. It was 5:20 before I could finally locate the shop, hidden in an alleyway outside a ground-level entrance of the Sheraton Centre hotel. Thankfully, the staff there, perhaps having anticipated this, instantly recognized me and prepared my hot chocolate on the spot. If Ritual had the option of reporting errors with a shop's location (not just with the menu), I would have done so, but didn't find the option before I finished my drink, entered the subway, and lost my cellular connection. But what really matter was that I got a "Woohoo!" notification, confirming that the order counted towards my "Bonus Boost" so I would have to make just two more to get my bonus.

I got another chance today at around 1:00, when my app informed me of an opportunity to piggyback on a colleague's order at Booster Juice. Seeing the timer ticking down and not wanting to spend the price of a full meal, I hastily chose a "Orange, Ginger, & Cayenne Shot" (wow, they had that?) and thanks to a first-order credit, I didn't pay a penny for it. I didn't get notified that whether the order would count towards my "Bonus Boost"  - turns out it didn't - understandable since my credit card was not charged for the order. When I gulped it down, though, my mouth burned quite hard; I had to drink a full glass of milk and a full glass of water to counteract the spice of the cayenne - in fact a pepper, not the French city and most certainly not the Porche car. I promptly lodged a complaint to Ritual support and got an account credit applied an hour later. By that time the heat had died down, though I still felt it for quite a while.

I decided to take advantage of that credit upon dismissal from work at 5:30, placing an order with Kanga Aussie Meat Pies for their "Traditional Aussie Meat Pie". They reported within a minute that they ran out of stock, and so that order was cancelled, with no charge made to my card and thus no advancement towards my "Bonus Boost". However, I was determined to get that second order, so I turned to Nadège Patesserie for another hot chocolate; they initially confirmed the order was in progress and, to my relief, I got the "Woohoo!" notification again. Upon arriving at Nadege, though, I checked the app again and, for the second time in half an hour, my order was cancelled. Now I am not sure of whether I have one or two more orders left to get my "Bonus Boost". I checked the app on my way home but to my dismay, this info was not displayed. Fortunately, I have a habit of ordering lunch via Ritual every Friday, so that is when the mystery would be solved.

4 hours ago, Transit geek said:

I hastily chose a "Orange, Ginger, & Cayenne Shot"...........When I gulped it down, though, my mouth burned quite hard; I had to drink a full glass of milk and a full glass of water to counteract the spice of the cayenne - in fact a pepper........I promptly lodged a complaint to Ritual support and got an account credit applied an hour later. 

So, you complained about a free product that was as advertised and contained pepper? Good luck in life. It's going to be a long road ahead for you I suspect, especially if you think this is an "FML moment". 

Does Ritual penalize the vendor now due to your complaint? Even thought the product was correct?

• Thanks 8

5 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

So, you complained about a free product that was as advertised and contained pepper? Good luck in life. It's going to be a long road ahead for you I suspect, especially if you think this is an "FML moment". 

Does Ritual penalize the vendor now due to your complaint? Even thought the product was correct?

Round 2 will be even more entertaining. 

• Haha 8

17 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Foodora and Uber Eats: be warned!

• Haha 3

Got up at 6AM on a Sunday for nothing. I expected my flight for my flight training to get cancelled due to the weather. Nope. The weather was perfect, my training got cancelled because they forgot to clean the runways at the airport. Neither did my flight instructor or myself checked runway surface conditions before leaving home. So I basically got up and drove 50KM for nothing this morning! 

7 hours ago, Greatcoinz said:

Got up at 6AM on a Sunday for nothing. I expected my flight for my flight training to get cancelled due to the weather. Nope. The weather was perfect, my training got cancelled because they forgot to clean the runways at the airport. Neither did my flight instructor or myself checked runway surface conditions before leaving home. So I basically got up and drove 50KM for nothing this morning! 

Bummer.. So was everything grounded, or just small craft ?

2 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Bummer.. So was everything grounded, or just small craft ?

Pretty much everything was grounded. We can see one of the runways from the school, and saw only 4 planes took off over two hours. Normally when the runways are clean, planes take off / land every few minutes.

• Thanks 1

A combined FML/WTF moment from earlier.

When I was driving home from work, I was using my windshield wipers when the passenger side wiper fell off! Fortunately I wasn't too far from Wal-Mart where I bought a replacement. since the wiper had fallen off my car and I wasn't in a position to recover it from where it was.

Job search is going terribly. I've applied to around 50 jobs this year, both journalism and retail, and I haven't gotten so much as an interview offer. Every day when I check the job portals I find less and less available work, period, and the jobs that are there are either for senior producer positions (I have a mere 6 weeks of experience in journalism), foreign language journalists, or, for retail searches, it returns receptionist jobs that have some questionable qualifications. Why does a receptionist for a dental practice need 2 years of experience in the dental field? Only heaven knows.

4 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Job search is going terribly. I've applied to around 50 jobs this year, both journalism and retail, and I haven't gotten so much as an interview offer. Every day when I check the job portals I find less and less available work, period, and the jobs that are there are either for senior producer positions (I have a mere 6 weeks of experience in journalism), foreign language journalists, or, for retail searches, it returns receptionist jobs that have some questionable qualifications. Why does a receptionist for a dental practice need 2 years of experience in the dental field? Only heaven knows.

Have you tried the printing / bindery field ? I did bindery for about 10-15 years off and on. Collating papers, cerlox punch and bind, cutting machines and hole punch machines and padding paper. It is fun, interesting, lots of variety, pays decent, not dealing with a lot of people (except work-mates). Many places train as you go.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Have you tried the printing / bindery field ? I did bindery for about 10-15 years off and on. Collating papers, cerlox punch and bind, cutting machines and hole punch machines and padding paper. It is fun, interesting, lots of variety, pays decent, not dealing with a lot of people (except work-mates). Many places train as you go.

I haven't, and honestly I'd never given it any thought... but it couldn't hurt to take a look. I'm getting a little desperate at this point.

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

I haven't, and honestly I'd never given it any thought... but it couldn't hurt to take a look. I'm getting a little desperate at this point.

You won't regret it. It's kinda fun, hands on work. Not overly difficult, but you still need to have a good head on your shoulders, and helps to be systematic and organized in your work and thought processes.  Most things go through machines, but sometimes the smaller jobs are faster by hand (folding or collating), since some can be accomplished in less time than it takes to set up the machine. I really loved it.  It's a field a lot of people really don't think about.  Google print shops and start phoning around and knocking on doors. Say you're looking for a career change and you are willing to learn. Maybe ask if you can job shadow for a day or two.

• Thanks 1

My mom took the family car out to the body shop yesterday. We were supposed to get it back tomorrow but the repairs are taking longer than usual and now we won't be expected to have it back until Tuesday. This meant I will have to commute to work for at least another day or two, after having to do so today. And I won't be able to go to church this weekend... ?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

1. Trying to record a bus ride then someone sits in front of you when there are other seats.

I had a similar experience when I was filming an STO ride. I was sitting in one of the two backwards seats but when someone came and took a seat behind the rear window I had to point my camera away so that I didn't get in the way of the strangers personal space.

Must be a new delivery driver delivering the Star-Metro paper in the morning because the vendor box near my place has not been replenished all week. This is devastating for me, although most people would just go four blocks to the next vendor box. My routine is that I grab a paper from the vendor box outside my building, walk two blocks over to the coffee shop, where I sit with a coffee, read the paper and do the crossword, before catching my bus to wherever I am headed that day. Without the paper, just sitting there with a coffee is only half the fun. So I am forced to gulp down the coffee, walk another two blocks to grab a paper and quickly do the crossword (without the benefit of a chair and table) while waiting for my bus. 

Being off my routine usually starts my day off on the wrong foot. Again, maybe not the end of the world, but as it happened, I was so engrossed with my crossword, and unhappy that my routine had been disturbed, that I inadvertently caught the wrong bus this morning and had to back track to where I was headed.

I had looked up from my puzzle, saw that the route 5 was coming, and continued writing.  What I didn't see was that the route 5 got a red light and a route 3 turned the corner and got ahead of it, so when the bus pulled up I just got on. I saw that it wasn't the regular driver, but then I figured he might have booked off (although this particular driver is known for doing his own work and everyone else's).

I phoned the Edmonton Star-Metro office, and after a number of recordings and a bit of run around, finally got through to the correct, 'live' person and was able to voice my concern. There are almost 200 units in my building, and many retired folk that put on a pot of coffee in the morning, and run downstairs in their robe and slippers to get a paper. Not very likely are they going to throw on shoes and walk four blocks to 124 Street and four blocks back for a paper. The pot of coffee would be cold by then.

• Like 1

Still no paper in the vendor box today. So I phoned and left a message, and decided I would back this up with an email. I did get an email reply right away from the distribution department saying he will fwd my email to the trucking dispatcher. So, here's hoping for some papers in the vendor box tomorrow, or at least by Monday.

Just got this in an email from the distribution rep " We will  add extra papers into that box for Monday’s delivery "  So now we wait and see what happens.

Was waiting for a 29 Dufferin bus just outside of Dufferin Mall. I had already missed 9151 and 9040, and was waiting for another bus. About a minute later, I spot a bus further down near the second Dufferin Mall stop (which is 9035). It's raining and I want to go home. The bus blows past me. I have no clue as to why the bus goes by. I am starting to consider to just walk to Dufferin station. I look up at when the next is coming, and it's five minutes. Then comes 9030, going super slowly. I board the bus, and the ride home was just as slow. I am not sure if it was the bus, or if it was the driver (nice driver by the way), but it was slow. We actually catch up to and pass 9040. 9035 was no where to be seen.

Dufferin is already bad enough, but this just made me dislike the route even more.

2 hours ago, 7575 said:

Who knows. The bluffs are eroding as I type this. I doubt it.

The flooded section of path is actually designed to be flooded, and is basically just a big footbridge. It'll reopen, but it just kind of sucks that I won't be able to use it until spring melt is over. I should mention that the stream flooding it is just a tiny creek.