General FML moments

vivablue5215

4 minutes ago, 7575 said:

Oh. At this point, anything is better than a 2001 F-150, a Nova Artic or a Hybrid OG lol. My superintendent wants me to do the Blue Night. FML

The F-150 doesn't sound that bad.  It likely has the same handling problems the Tahoe does when there's not enough stuff in the back to ballast the rear axle and that bit me back in November and I slid off the road covered in fallen leaves on an 19% uphill grade during a rain storm the night before I was supposed to drive down to the US to visit friends.  I had to get CAA to winch me out.  Luckily the truck was undamaged and I was still able to make the trip.  That turned out to be a good thing because some lunchtime conversation at a trolley museum led to some spur of the moment PCC car troubleshooting and I was able to provide some insights that helped crack a number of the issues were making it act up and we got the car running.  Sometimes a new pair of eyes can help, so I was glad I was able to make the trip after all that and pitch in.  I've never driven a bus though.  Someone offered to let me drive a fishbowl once and I turned it down because I wasn't comfortable attempting to do that at the time, so handling buses, especially in the weather we've been having lately is something well outside of my experience!

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

The F-150 doesn't sound that bad.  It likely has the same handling problems the Tahoe does when there's not enough stuff in the back to ballast the rear axle and that bit me back in November and I slid off the road covered in fallen leaves on an 19% uphill grade during a rain storm the night before I was supposed to drive down to the US to visit friends.  I had to get CAA to winch me out.  Luckily the truck was undamaged and I was still able to make the trip.  That turned out to be a good thing because some lunchtime conversation at a trolley museum led to some spur of the moment PCC car troubleshooting and I was able to provide some insights that helped crack a number of the issues were making it act up and we got the car running.  Sometimes a new pair of eyes can help, so I was glad I was able to make the trip after all that and pitch in.  I've never driven a bus though.  Someone offered to let me drive a fishbowl once and I turned it down because I wasn't comfortable attempting to do that at the time, so handling buses, especially in the weather we've been having lately is something well outside of my experience!

Yeah it isn't as bad as I describe it. Just jealous of those 2019 Silverado trucks speeding past my house in the snow when I barely can get out of the driveway.

Tell me about it.  I've never had a new vehicle.  Between the house and the vehicle I do have, a single income doesn't go far in the GTA these days.  I have to remind myself that everyone else around me either has more than one household income or is retired when I see what other people are driving or are doing to their houses.

The one that had me stopped dead in my tracks thinking about what I've done wrong in life was when I was walking up to the plaza with a friend to get some stuff and he pointed out that all the low rise apartment buildings were subsidized housing operated by the city.  Every vehicle in the parking lots between the buildings, every one of them, was a lot newer than what I was driving.

9 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Tell me about it.  I've never had a new vehicle.  Between the house and the vehicle I do have, a single income doesn't go far in the GTA these days.  I have to remind myself that everyone else around me either has more than one household income or is retired when I see what other people are driving or are doing to their houses.

The one that had me stopped dead in my tracks thinking about what I've done wrong in life was when I was walking up to the plaza with a friend to get some stuff and he pointed out that all the low rise apartment buildings were subsidized housing operated by the city.  Every vehicle in the parking lots between the buildings, every one of them, was a lot newer than what I was driving.

Well if I have a roof over my family's heads, food on the table and a half-decent vehicle, then I've done my job. Going back to my truck rant, I bought it for $1500 about 9 months and have probably put about $1400 into it in repairs. Gonna need to replace the rear axle soon. That's easily another $600 down the tubes.

3 hours ago, 7575 said:

Well if I have a roof over my family's heads, food on the table and a half-decent vehicle, then I've done my job.

Same here except since I'm single, it's just me.

3 hours ago, 7575 said:

Going back to my truck rant, I bought it for $1500 about 9 months and have probably put about $1400 into it in repairs. Gonna need to replace the rear axle soon. That's easily another $600 down the tubes.

I hear you.  My whole truck was an unexpected expense on account of my minivan being stolen about a year and a half ago.  Honestly, that was one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had, waking up and seeing someone else's SUV parked on the street where I'd parked the minivan the night before and looking up and down the street second guessing my memory on where I parked, then calling the city to ask if it had been towed and everything that happened from there on.

11 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

I think someone stole my drivers licence and student ID card.  And I’m really pissed.

That sucks but luckily, both of those are fairly easy to get reissued.

• Like 2

Nothing quite like being on hold with 311 for 24 minutes and counting trying to report a sleeping homeless person out in these conditions.

The spring can't come fast enough.

EDIT: The final call ended up taking 28 minutes. Par for the course, really.

I have four of them...

1. My Nintendo Switch is having problems similar to my old PSP. Unlike the PSP however, my Switch is still playable. The control stick likes to stick a lot.

2. My family car is staring to go. When ever the RPM's go below 1000, the car stalls. Was at Dupont and Avenue road when the car started to jerk. My dad and I looked at the RPM's and it was in between 500 and 750. My dad now has to rev the engine when ever it goes below 1000 at an intersection, so that way the engine doesn't stall. 

We have a 2003 Nissan Murano. I still remember when I was a little kid ridding in this car looking out the window on St Clair during the St Clair ROW project. So much memories...

Time flies very quickly??.

3. I am sick. I am just trying to enjoy watching the Super Bowl. But it's hard to when you have to grab a tissue every play.

4. I have to go to school tomorrow. The amount of snow piled up in our neighbourhood is crazy. It's so hard to walk through the snow. Plus I have two tests tomorrow!!!

Great??

Bought an iPod nearly three years ago. It has survived hell, falling onto granite floors, gravel, concrete and even being thrown across the room a couple times without a screen protector and yet never has cracked or been scratched. Bought a screen protector so it would survive another couple of years. As I was getting out of the car this morning, it slips out of my hand and falls a mere three feet. Even with a screen protector, it cracked! Not how I like the long and cold week to start. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

3. I am sick. I am just trying to enjoy watching the Super Bowl. But it's hard to when you have to grab a tissue every play.

4. I have to go to school tomorrow. The amount of snow piled up in our neighbourhood is crazy. It's so hard to walk through the snow. Plus I have two tests tomorrow!!!

Great??

That sucks. How did the tests go?

I got in to work today and had to be a bit creative to dodge a nasty increase in parking rates. Then my boss wanted a chronological rundown of how this massive two day long system failure occurred over the weekend.  It's looking like it may turn into a witch hunt with the vendor.  At least it isn't turning into a witch hunt with myself and the other two guys who were on shift over the weekend.

12 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

That sucks. How did the tests go?

I got in to work today and had to be a bit creative to dodge a nasty increase in parking rates. Then my boss wanted a chronological rundown of how this massive two day long system failure occurred over the weekend.  It's looking like it may turn into a witch hunt with the vendor.  At least it isn't turning into a witch hunt with myself and the other two guys who were on shift over the weekend.

I only ended up doing the science test. My other teacher didn’t do the other test. I ended up doing this practice test. She said we will do the other test later.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:45 PM, TechSpotlight said:

I think someone stole my drivers licence and student ID card.  And I’m really pissed.

I didn't have my driver's license stolen (fortunately) but left it (in my backpack, thankfully) at a credit union branch last Saturday at 4 PM, when it closed for the weekend. My mom was there and, assuming I had it on hand, let me drive home. Only when we got home did we realize it was missing. So we went back there before 5 PM, but the staff had all gone (there was no maintenance worker). Thankfully, our advisor recognized my bag and was able to give it back to my mom when she came this morning at quarter to 9 (15 minutes before opening).

This taught me an all-too-familiar lesson, and am lucky that it could have been worse, as has happened to the aforementioned user last week.

P.S. and while I'm at it here, wonder why the TTC never reminds its riders not to leave anything behind, while SMRT in Singapore displays such a message in the LCD screens in its newest trains at virtually every station stop.

Image result for STARIS 2.0

• Like 3

Lost my thermos somewhere on campus. I was only at three places prior to my morning exam. when I realized that my bag felt really light when I was heading to the Library.

Went back to the places where I was at prior to my exam with no luck. Maybe a cleaner picked it up. I'll check the lost and found later when I go for lunch but as someone who is sleep-deprived (I haven't slept well in the last few weeks due to stress / overthinking) I rely on it to save me a few bucks to keep me going on these 12-18 Hour Days.

On February 5, 2019 at 7:53 PM, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

Was nearly hit by two cars on bathurst today. One at lawerence and one and wilson. Luckily, we were very fortunate to have not been hit even though the roads were super icy.

Driving in Toronto has become a huge game of mario kart.

Yikes!  It's been bad lately for sure.  Bathurst always seems to be bad between Glencairn and the 401 no matter what.

I drove a friend home the other day and almost got into a crash in Hamilton the other day.  Everything was fine out to Hamilton, even after we got up to the top of the escarpment and then things suddenly got worse.  I was going slowly and leaving lots of space but I put the brakes on to stop at a light and the truck slowed down until the antilock brakes kicked in thud thud thud and it kept rolling at a walking pace through all the space I left ahead of me.  My friend was bracing himself yelling "We're going to hit!  We're going to hit!  We're going to hit!" and I ended up swerving it at the last minute and threaded the gap between the truck ahead of me and the left lane of the two and managed to get it to a stop without hitting anything, a few feet overlapping the vehicle in front, now to the side.  This winter has been brutal for anyone trying to get anywhere in the new year.

That day when it thawed and hit 11 degrees was such a tease.

Edit:

My football game tomorrow night just got cancelled because of the scheduling repercussions of the team that folded.  This sucks.  I don't even understand why since we weren't scheduled to play the defunct team tomorrow anyways.  The fact that the cancelled game probably could've been easily avoided since the defunct team had tomorrow night off and wouldn't have been playing regardless really makes it stink even more.  So no, I'm not happy right now.  Neither is anybody else.

• Like 2

So one of mom's documents that I framed and hung up last week came crashing down. The glass was not broken, and the frame had come apart at the corners. Anyhow, I taped that sucker together with clear packing tape (taped the frame and then wrapped tape around the whole thing lengthwise and width-wise.  Gonna rehang it next week.

Bought mom some new pants and a pair of PJ's last week. She won't wear them because she says they are not hers. I give up.

On 2/4/2019 at 8:20 PM, Transit geek said:

P.S. and while I'm at it here, wonder why the TTC never reminds its riders not to leave anything behind, while SMRT in Singapore displays such a message in the LCD screens in its newest trains at virtually every station stop.

Image result for STARIS 2.0

"Please take all of your personal belongings and newspapers when leaving the train. Thank you for choosing Calgary Transit"

32 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

I doubt that is true. If you need a disembodied voice to remind you to take your shit with you, you may need to do some self reflection.

Exactly. People are, for the most part, in their own little world and completely zoned out of 'the moment'. Granted, there are a lot of distractions, but many of the distractions are within the passengers control . For example, don't multi-task. Don't try and put your bus pass away while reading, texting AND listening to music. You are bound to leave something behind when you suddenly realize the bus is at your stop.

The announcements are nothing more than a CYA for the company's benefit so that someone can't blame them / berate them /  sue them for not being told / reminded to take 'their shit with them'. 

During the four years that I worked for Lost & Found at ETS, I really doubt such a recorded announcement would have made a whit of difference. Seriously, I have lost count of the number of times someone has come to the front counter to collect a misplaced wallet and then left their cell phone behind as they trotted off with their wallet. For real. Not joking.

• Like 3

Realized that I made huge errors in a report for a third-year history class. Writing on the topic of Canadian Troops in Hong Kong in 1941, I thought the Americans were already at war with Japan. Turns out I was six months off of when Japan attacked the United States. Damn, my insomnia. 

Here's how the situation got worse. I submitted a poor draft to my professor two weeks ago for feedback. Thinking that the email wasn't sent, I just created a new report. The new report was submitted on time with the errors. However, my prof emailed me, two hours before the class saying that I have yet to pick up the poor draft and he would extend my deadline till Friday. I only check my University email once a day. He sent it after I checked it.  In the end, I sent a paper on time with huge errors and lost an opportunity to revise and create an excellent report. If I flunk this paper, I'll probably drop out of the class as it's worth 20% of my grade. 

I emailed him this afternoon admitting my mistakes and seeing if he's willing to still stand by his offer by giving me till Friday. But boy, I'm pissed at myself. 

Edit: He gave me till Friday to revise the paper. (F Yeah Moment) But I'm just frustrated with myself that these simple mistakes happened. Second chances are better than no chances at least. 

• Like 1