General FML moments

vivablue5215

On 11/1/2018 at 3:40 PM, PCC Guy said:

I don't have a problem with paying services, I just think the extent to which they're slashing the amenities offered for free users is more than slightly over the top.

I have exactly 10,016 photos in my feed and according to my profile I'm only using 2.2% of the 1 TB storage free users are offered. I'm sure they could've slashed what free users are offered to a less dramatic degree. If I only ever got to use 10% of that 1 TB it would still be more than enough, being that what I've got so far is the product of just over 10 years of transit photography.\

I'll probably fork out for Pro now since it's a good organization tool, but... ugh.

I'm considering just maintaining my own web server over this.

Or pay someone to do it.

FML moment of today:

I was GOING to do photography after school today but silly me forgot the battery in the charger.  It ended up not being a big loss because everywhere I wanted to do photography had a million shadows which would otherwise ruin he shot.  Thank you Daylight Savings Time (more like Daylight Ruining Time :P).  Guess I’ll have to wait until February.

A few weeks ago I purchased a used - like new copy of Bromley's 50 Years of Progressive Transit off of Amazon. I didn't have much of a chance to read through the book at the time, only noted that a lot of the pages were sticking together (from not having been opened in many years?) When I tried to open the book wide and flatten it, a large tear separated the pages from the book's binding on one side, and I left it on my shelf to figure out what to do with it when I was less busy.

Well, I haven't mended the book, but I was looking for some information on the subway, so I opened the book again, trying to flatten the pages down as gently as humanly possible... and instead the rest of that particular group of pages came fully detached from the book's binding. Now I'm too scared to ever open it again. :(

3 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

A few weeks ago I purchased a used - like new copy of Bromley's 50 Years of Progressive Transit off of Amazon. I didn't have much of a chance to read through the book at the time, only noted that a lot of the pages were sticking together (from not having been opened in many years?) When I tried to open the book wide and flatten it, a large tear separated the pages from the book's binding on one side, and I left it on my shelf to figure out what to do with it when I was less busy.

Well, I haven't mended the book, but I was looking for some information on the subway, so I opened the book again, trying to flatten the pages down as gently as humanly possible... and instead the rest of that particular group of pages came fully detached from the book's binding. Now I'm too scared to ever open it again. :(

Check your local directory for a reputable bookbinder..

https://www.cbbag.ca/about-cbbag/restoration-and-repair-faqs

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2018 at 9:02 PM, PCC Guy said:

My least favourite part about the summer is the obsession with A/C. Yes it's good to have it, but there are no circumstances that an office space needs to be so cold that I'm literally shivering at work.

While wearing a sweater.

?

I feel the opposite in the winter. It's freezing outside forcing everyone to wear thick layers, but as soon as you go anywhere inside (bus, subway, buildings) it feels like a sauna with all those layers and the heating on. Even if you undress as much as you can it hardly makes it better because you now have to carry your jacket, sweater, etc in your hands. My least favorite part about this time of year (fall & winter) are the annoying cold & flu viruses that strike every fucking year. I have officially decided that I prefer summer because of this (can't wait for it to come back. Even wishing to take a week off to escape somewhere down south). Ideally I'd prefer somewhere around 20-25 degrees day and night, which is nice and warm (no getting sick) but not uncomfortably so (25-30+ is too much).

1 hour ago, D. Jacenkovic said:

I feel the opposite in the winter. It's freezing outside forcing everyone to wear thick layers, but as soon as you go anywhere inside (bus, subway, buildings) it feels like a sauna with all those layers and the heating on. Even if you undress as much as you can it hardly makes it better because you now have to carry your jacket, sweater, etc in your hands. My least favorite part about this time of year (fall & winter) are the annoying cold & flu viruses that strike every fucking year. I have officially decided that I prefer summer because of this (can't wait for it to come back. Even wishing to take a week off to escape somewhere down south). Ideally I'd prefer somewhere around 20-25 degrees day and night, which is nice and warm (no getting sick) but not uncomfortably so (25-30+ is too much).

I dislike summer and winter for those reasons - plus mosquitoes in the summer. YUCK. Autumn is my favorite. Not too hot, not too cold, mosquitoes are gone and flu season still far enough away. You can be comfortable in shorts, and throw on a hoodie for the cooler days or evenings.

Autumn is my favourite for the same reason. It's pleasantly cool without the extremities of summer or winter. IMHO autumn > summer > spring > winter.

Winter is the worst though, I'd sooner take a million heatwaves over a single day where the windchill drops below -3. Last winter I spent a lot of time in Toronto fanning the retiring Orion VIIs, and while I don't regret the photos I got, there was nothing enjoyable about my hands shaking uncontrollably every time I aimed my camera at the bus. If the lighting wasn't perfect... good bye to a quality photograph. <_<

As for the heat inside vehicles, my experience was the opposite. I couldn't get comfortable in a vehicle to save my life. When I was commuting to school, GO buses would have cool air spewing out of the vents well into November. Even in the grips of winter it was still inconceivable for me to take a single clothing item off, which was kind of a double edged sword because I had to find some way to stay warm in the bus but at the same time when I got out then my body didn't have a chance to properly adjust to the cold so my entire body would shake uncontrollably.

Oh, if only humans could hibernate. :(

1 hour ago, captaintrolley said:

I dislike summer and winter for those reasons - plus mosquitoes in the summer. YUCK. Autumn is my favorite. Not too hot, not too cold, mosquitoes are gone and flu season still far enough away. You can be comfortable in shorts, and throw on a hoodie for the cooler days or evenings.

Flu season usually strikes right around the onset of Autumn (usually September/October, although in 2016 I started getting sick at the end of August during my last day in Europe, which slowly got worse during the flight back and continued to get worse after the return; 2017, in September). This year I'm doing everything I can to stay healthy and boost my immune system, although sometimes it's still a struggle<_< And unfortunately you can't wear shorts to work when you work in an office, which is a bitch in the summer in 30 degrees. But I have to agree that the heat waves are less unpleasant than the flu season.

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

Oh, if only humans could hibernate. :(

If only there was an off switch to any and all stimuli that make us feel physically uncomfortable (or at least reduce them to a much more tolerable level). I'm talking about scenarios way more extreme than heatwaves or the flu though, that no one should have to experience, ever.

Air conditioning in offices is the worst. It seems that there is no one that is satisfied by the current standard all offices seem to adopt, though in my case I'd be far more inclined to side with the women complaining about how bloody cold everything is.

I spent my summer at an internship that didn't have a dress code, so for the first few days I would show up wearing a sweater and jeans. When the heatwaves started to roll in, I thought I'd wear shorts one day, and spent the rest of the day regretting it. Holy FUCK was it cold. By the time I got off work for the day I felt like I'd never be warm again. Never repeated that mistake. Shorts make sense if you're going to be spending the day outdoors, but it was only a 5 minute walk from the office to transit, so for the rest of the summer I continued to wear long sleeves. No regrets on that front. From reading a lot of debates on the internet about office A/C settings, every guy tells women to just wear more layers, but what happens if even those aren't enough? The social optics of wearing a winter coat into the office when it's 30 degrees outside aren't the best. :P

My office doesn't really have a dress code either (at least I thought so when I first started, seeing how everyone there was dressed - polo shirts, hoodies, jeans, etc), except for the no shorts rule which apparently goes without saying to all offices in general (I've made that mistake twice now - the first day I started at the office, and about 3 years ago when I just walked into a different office to ask if they're hiring).

Not sure what went through my mind when I did this. I put my water bottle in my bag without me noticing that I didnt put the cover on. Covering my 700 page textbook in a binder and some notebooks covered in water. It couldve been worse that my laptop could've been my bag, water got inside completely my notes and textbook or I didn't notice till I got home. Only reason I noticed? There's a bottle cap on my desk yet my water bottle is my bag. FML. 

Last night, I caught 5062/5063 on the way downtown, got off at Yonge at 19:45, and as the train was leaving I noticed the last pair was 5162/5163 (the whole set was
WEST-(5062/5063)+(5332/5333)+(5162/5163)-EAST if I remember correctly). Assuming a round trip time of roughly 110 mins, I expected to catch the same set around 21:35 going west, or 22:30 going east. I ended up heading home shortly after 21, and got to Yonge at 21:18, so rather than waiting there until 21:35, I decided to go a few stops east and catch it there. I got off at Chester around 21:25, waited a couple trains on the westbound, it never showed up. I also recognised the op on one of the following eastbound trains (very friendly, always has the door open), making me regret not being able to get on his train this time. I gave up trying to catch 5162 when I saw the next westbound arriving in 5 mins, so I got on the next eastbound to go home. And at the next stop, I saw 5162 at 21:35 (all the slow zones must've added up an extra 5+ mins to the total round trip time). And then I spotted the same set this morning at VP on my way to work (it was going west whereas I had to go to Warden).

Edit: I spotted the same set again later that day (20/11/2018), going east at Main at 19:13 (i.e. Yonge around 19:00) and later I got to Yonge just in time to have it show up at 20:54 (arrived at Main at 21:09).

3 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

The iMac that my family has had since December 2011 might have finally died.  The blinking question mark has appeared so I suspect the hard drive crashed.  I hope not considering lots of important files are on that computer.

Shame on you for not backing up your hard drive on a frequent, regular basis.:o

5 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Shame on you for not backing up your hard drive on a frequent, regular basis.:o

I've taken a look at the computer since that post and I'm pretty sure it just overheated.  It usually sits on 24/7 in a very warm room.  I've since put it in the cold basement and am waiting until tomorrow evening to boot it up again.  And yes.  I do that with my current computer on a frequent basis :) 

8 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Ordered a few DVDs off Amazon off of Friday, after waiting all week for the shipment I'm now being told that my package may have been lost.

One reason I dislike ordering online. I especially will not use Amazon. I may order directly from a store, and only after careful deliberation and reassurance that they are reliable and have quality merchandise. And only if they use Canada Post.  Those delivery companies can be a bit careless. They will either leave something out in the open, or leave a sticky note on the door (which can be removed by anyone) stating 'Sorry we missed you', and the item must be picked up at their warehouse - which is in the boonies and has poor hourly peak hour only bus service.

That being said, I do hope your shipment surfaces in time for the holidays. ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

One reason I dislike ordering online. I especially will not use Amazon. I may order directly from a store, and only after careful deliberation and reassurance that they are reliable and have quality merchandise. And only if they use Canada Post.  Those delivery companies can be a bit careless. They will either leave something out in the open, or leave a sticky note on the door (which can be removed by anyone) stating 'Sorry we missed you', and the item must be picked up at their warehouse - which is in the boonies and has poor hourly peak hour only bus service.

That being said, I do hope your shipment surfaces in time for the holidays. ?

Funnily enough, the package ended up arriving this afternoon after I'd written to support and was advised to order replacements. The replacement order was promptly cancelled. :lol:

I'm definitely with you on disliking online ordering. If I had it my way I would've bought all 3 films in person at a store, but when I was at Walmart last week they didn't have any of them, so other arrangements had to be made.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Funnily enough, the package ended up arriving this afternoon after I'd written to support and was advised to order replacements. The replacement order was promptly cancelled. :lol:

I'm definitely with you on disliking online ordering. If I had it my way I would've bought all 3 films in person at a store, but when I was at Walmart last week they didn't have any of them, so other arrangements had to be made.

These aren't, by chance, the type of films that have to be shipped in an unmarked black bag, are they? :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Downsview 108 said:

These aren't, by chance, the type of films that have to be shipped in an unmarked black bag, are they? :rolleyes:

Only if I had to sneak them past my peers. I'm not sure I'm ready to advertise to the world that I love romantic films...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Downsview 108 said:

You just did.:lol::ph34r:

True, but you guys also know that I've spent the last decade photographing ordinary buses doing extremely ordinary, not-at-all noteworthy things, so this is as safe a place to admit it as I'll find on the internet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :lol:

• Like 1