General FML moments

vivablue5215

I was informed today by pool management that they are going to be discontinuing annual locker rentals effective May 31, 2018. So, another year and a bit to enjoy this privilege...then back to schlepping all my equipment around. I've had a rented locker for 31 years, probably the longest anyone has ever rented a locker there. Such a nice convenience, especially when one has to travel by bus.

58 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Did they give a reason?

Someone had their locker broken into and made a big stink (even though the rental contract clearly states 'the pool' or 'the city' will not be held responsible for theft or break ins). So basically, one person spoiled it for everyone.

Also, they said that they need to fall in line with common practices at other pools (even though locker rentals are an additional, albeit not a huge amount, of additional revenue for the pool. And besides, it makes the pool different from other facilities and for people that don't have a vehicle, it is a means of gaining - and retaining - patronage). 

In the far future (next 8 - 10 years), the pool is going to go through extensive rebuilding.  (Pending budgets of course). The basin will probably not go through any change, but all the heating, water, electrical, plus redoing the gym, amenities and adding a running track, courts, velodrome. Maybe they will incorporate a designated secure locker area for renters !!!

finding out the digital adapter box rogers made me get no longer gets half the channels i used to get when we decided to prune back our cable package, but theyd gladly give us a discount on a full digital terminal rental....... claiming my box is obsolete, the very box i was forced to get if i wanted to continue to watch cable on my tv in the bedroom because  i dont need a full box in there........  i hate those crooks..... 

7 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Tried to buy tickets to see Paramore live, all of them were either sold out or picked up by bots.

Lovely.

You should check stubhub closer to the date of the event, there will often be tickets for sale there, and sometimes for less than original cost :)

That's what I'm planning on doing, but I really don't like the idea of using Stubhub, and putting money into the pockets of the wastes of air and water that program ticket scalping bots in the first place. <_<

• Like 1

Rogers just sent me a text that I have used up my 250 texts / month quota already !!! Still 5 days to go until my text plan rolls over. Strangely enough, I didn't think I did that much texting this past month. Still, it is very rare that I use up 250 texts in a month.

So, i was debating going for an orion V ride tonight, but decided not to, as my presto card needed filling and i didnt feel like filling it. 

Then, i saw on transsee that an orion V was on a 304 trip that was usually a D40LFR. Kinda annoying, but not too bad, as i have rode a V on that trip before. Then i see this, a V on route 91, a route that i have never seen a V out on before, AND i would have been at finch just at the right time to catch it.

Screenshot_2017-05-19-18-29-59.png

Today I had set up the VCR to tape the finale of SUrvivor. The digital cable allows us to use a VCR but we can't tape something on one channel and watch something else. I had set up to tape channel 3 (Survivor) and between 1:30 and 8:00, my dad was watching something on channel 29 and didn't set the channel back. I taped three hours of stuff that wasn't Survivor.

14 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

Today I had set up the VCR to tape the finale of SUrvivor. The digital cable allows us to use a VCR but we can't tape something on one channel and watch something else. I had set up to tape channel 3 (Survivor) and between 1:30 and 8:00, my dad was watching something on channel 29 and didn't set the channel back. I taped three hours of stuff that wasn't Survivor.

Hum...not surprising.

And regarding recording TV programs, ever since we got a Rogers PVR (for two years or so), my mom frequently set up recording programs on her Rogers PVR and would later play it back on the PVR while recording it to a disc and tape with a DVD/VCR combo unit. Several months back, Rogers delivered a software update to our box, and afterward, when mom tried doing this, she got the error "This program is not allowed to be recorded" when trying to record to a DVD-R. The program did record to a VHS, though, but the picture became scrambled and unviewable. So Mom called Rogers support, only to discover that recording had been blocked because of a matter of copyright! At that time, she could now just keep the box tuned to the channel she wanted to record, and then rewind to the location she wanted to record. To make a long story short, it wasn't long before Rogers sent another software update which blocked that, too. Aargh!!!

3 hours ago, Transit geek said:

Hum...not surprising.

And regarding recording TV programs, ever since we got a Rogers PVR (for two years or so), my mom frequently set up recording programs on her Rogers PVR and would later play it back on the PVR while recording it to a disc and tape with a DVD/VCR combo unit. Several months back, Rogers delivered a software update to our box, and afterward, when mom tried doing this, she got the error "This program is not allowed to be recorded" when trying to record to a DVD-R. The program did record to a VHS, though, but the picture became scrambled and unviewable. So Mom called Rogers support, only to discover that recording had been blocked because of a matter of copyright! At that time, she could now just keep the box tuned to the channel she wanted to record, and then rewind to the location she wanted to record. To make a long story short, it wasn't long before Rogers sent another software update which blocked that, too. Aargh!!!

Can't your mom just record the old way without the PVR - like in the days before there was such a thing as PVR???

So last Sunday I bought some tops from this store at Kingsway Mall. They had a BOGO sale and Sunday was the last day (this is actually a FY moment). Anyhow, one of the tops I really like and decided I want to buy another couple of them (seeing as if I wait a year or two they will be discontinued and I have learned if you really like something, buy a few of them because they won't be in the stores forever (this applies to most things, not just clothing).  I was going to do this today, as I had received an email from the store that they are having a 40% off on all regular priced items TODAY only. I also wanted to get my hair cut today.  Anyhow, it was so bloody hot today, I did not get either errand done. By the time I walked to the transit center from the pool, I could not bear the thought of going anywhere else but back home where it is reasonably cool.  My place faces Northwest. It stays fairly cool until mid evening when the sun comes around.

I got a ride video of 0316, one of fourty-two 2003 New Flyer D40LFs currently operated by MiWay, that are retiring this year. This bus in particular, had a pretty bad death tick, and you can really hear it in the video. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a picture of the bus, and the bus was recently changed-off on Friday. I hope the bus returns to service, but the chances seem unlikely, since they're going to be retiring over the summer :(

Here is the video in question. I used a picture of 0322 as the thumbnail.

• 1 month later...

Was gonna go out onto the balcony and clean up around the bird feeder (since it WAS cloudy and not too hot) but then the sun suddenly came blazing out from between the clouds. Since I have an aversion to direct sunlight, this just ruined my plans. Balcony clean up will have to wait till Sunday now.

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier this month, I visited the High Tatra mountains in Slovakia. The road between there and where my grandparents (where I'm staying) is probably the most beautiful road on the planet. My dash cam, for reasons unknown to me, started acting up on the drive back; the SD card was allegedly full, and I format it before every journey now to avoid problems. Sadly, we won't be going to the Tatra Mountains again on this trip, so I won't have a video at dusk, the most beautiful time of day on the most beautiful road on the planet. :(

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

So anyhow, I joined a Ladies Card Club that meets every Saturday.  There are four ladies and we take turns buying 'goodies' (usually a pastry treat to go with the coffee and then some chips 'n' things for later).  This Saturday is my turn to supply the snacks, and I should really know better than to go shopping while I am ravenous after swimming.  So $40.00 later ....  FM bank account...

IMG_4088.JPG

Do not buy Safeway Brand (Sensations / Compliments) Kettle Cooked Sweet Potato Chips (see post above this) unless you like them the size of corn flakes. Bought two bags of these, along with a bag of some veggie chips and a few assorted healthy dips for the card game last night. Really very disappointed in the Safeway chips. (The contents of both bags were like this). They still tasted fine, but really hard to dip them when they are that small and not get dip all over the fingers. The average 'chip' was about the size of a Dutch penny (which is close in size to a Canadian dime). 

P9100002 (2).JPG

P9100002.JPG

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Revenue Canada to get some stuff sorted out for mom and turns out they don't even have a staffed office in Edmonton anymore. Same with Telus, I found that out 9 years ago.  You would think that important places would have staffed offices... No wonder the world is going to hell in a hand-basket when you can't even conduct face-to-face business any more.  AARRGGHH  this makes me so angry.

• Like 1

On 2017-09-11 at 12:40 AM, captaintrolley said:

Do not buy Safeway Brand (Sensations / Compliments) Kettle Cooked Sweet Potato Chips (see post above this) unless you like them the size of corn flakes. Bought two bags of these, along with a bag of some veggie chips and a few assorted healthy dips for the card game last night. Really very disappointed in the Safeway chips. (The contents of both bags were like this). They still tasted fine, but really hard to dip them when they are that small and not get dip all over the fingers. The average 'chip' was about the size of a Dutch penny (which is close in size to a Canadian dime). 

P9100002 (2).JPG

P9100002.JPG

Should've called them corn flake chips! I don't even like sweet potato chips anyway.