Installed AA systems on HSR buses

Guest HAMILTON BUS

Guest HAMILTON BUS

im just hoping they are because earlier in the thread it was said that they 6,7,8 route will have them running in late october as a tester

Once the system is up and running it`s going to bw weird being on a Nova or one of the 96s that doesn`t have the system installed while they await retirement. Do the Dupont trollies have them installed? I didn't ride one this year.

They didn't earlier in the summer. I'm thinking the HSR probably didn't bother since they would be out of service for the entire year until next summer anyway, so there's plenty of time to get around to them if they choose to.

Yeah there's no rush to put them in since their not in service again until summer.

Question: how will the system handle the generic route designations such as 'Main & MacNab' or 'King & James' that buses sometimes use. Will the system be able to figure out (via GPS) that a bus is running on Barton St and call out the nearest stop on the system based on direction of travel?

Speaking of the destination signs is there a designation for "Main & Wellington?" I caught the rear route display on a bus in the west end today while on a '5C West Hamilton' and it displayed "MNWL." I know that most buses that go out of service downtown travel on Main St E to Wellington St and take the Claremount Access up the mountain there. I've never seen this route designation as all the buses I've seen display either "MOUNTAIN GARAGE" or "Sorry...Out of Service."

• 3 weeks later...
All Stop Announcements Now Being Tested By HSR

Ken Mann CHML News

11/16/2009

The city has started testing a new automated stop announcement system on its busses.

The result is that voice and visual announcement of all stops on all HSR routes, will be in place by the end of the year.

The system was purchased by the city at a cost of three million dollars, and is required to comply with a ruling by the Ontario Human Rights Commission

The DARTS fleet is also getting a major upgrade this fall, with the replacement of 20 of its specialized busses. Ten of them have been delivered, while the others are due to arrive in the coming weeks.

• 4 weeks later...
^ the above must be true. Only one out of 5 buses I took today didn't have the AA system activated. 0822's driver on 3 Cannon had taped his schedule over the screen and obviously had the system disabled.

I actually found a 9600 that WON'T retire, that's 9605, it had the AA and Ranger system, but AA wasn't up and running yet.

Neither was 0507's AA.

I actually found a 9600 that WON'T retire, that's 9605, it had the AA and Ranger system, but AA wasn't up and running yet.

All of the early 9600's (9601-14) will survive this next round of retirements. All others (9615-25) will be retired or have already been retired.

I am trying to find out which Novas are being retired (other than 9704,07,09,20 already reported) and hopefully should have that info soon. Also, it is official that 0604 has been written off and will be replaced in the fleet by one of the new 0900's.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...