Hamilton Street Railway

Since I work at Tim hortons I get coin rollers that are used to bring home and roll my tips with. The past two months the nickel rollers have been unusual and have all been from one year. On one roll all nickels were from 1937 one was all 1942 and a rol from almost every year till 1955. The weird part is that they all had the words Hamilton street railway computer printed on each roll. Is the person who rolls the coins a collector or what's the story? Any ideas Kevin?

Btw is 9619 still in service after running down that guy?

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do, as he is a trusted professional in the transit vehicle maintenance field. I agree with him that your post was rather pointless.

Your post is pointless. Then how would you like it if I deleted my account from this website?

I just retired, 30 years service, from MiWay (Feb 28/18).  Now I'm proud to say my son just got hired by HSR.  Starts training on Mar 12.

Posted Images

Since I work at Tim hortons I get coin rollers that are used to bring home and roll my tips with. The past two months the nickel rollers have been unusual and have all been from one year. On one roll all nickels were from 1937 one was all 1942 and a rol from almost every year till 1955. The weird part is that they all had the words Hamilton street railway computer printed on each roll. Is the person who rolls the coins a collector or what's the story? Any ideas Kevin?

<_< A bit off topic here, but I remember getting a roll of nickels from the bank for work and when we broke open the roll they were all really old (the non-round ones with King George on the back) all from the same year. We thought, the bank stock vintage rolls?!

<_< A bit off topic here, but I remember getting a roll of nickels from the bank for work and when we broke open the roll they were all really old (the non-round ones with King George on the back) all from the same year. We thought, the bank stock vintage rolls?!

I think these nickels have not been touched for many years they are constantly getting them at my work for 2 months now or so and no one can collect that many of the same vintage years. The weird part is how the the rolls had HSR typed on them. I saved some of the rollers.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm really getting antsy to see those new articulated buses. The HSR must not be pleased having all of them taking up all of that space at the garage until September. Now that the Classics are gone as well, things are extra boring in HSR land <_<

On the flip side, the 40 foot hybrids have come out to play again after having not seen most of them for a few months. Have recently seen all of them aside from 0605, in the past week. Makes me wonder what happened to 0605. I haven't seen it since last fall.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm really getting antsy to see those new articulated buses. The HSR must not be pleased having all of them taking up all of that space at the garage until September. Now that the Classics are gone as well, things are extra boring in HSR land :P

On the flip side, the 40 foot hybrids have come out to play again after having not seen most of them for a few months. Have recently seen all of them aside from 0605, in the past week. Makes me wonder what happened to 0605. I haven't seen it since last fall.

I thought some1 said the 40ft 09s would be out by end of May? did this change because of the radios or w/e?

They're the same as the '06 artic's. The only exterior difference is a more streamlined hybrid battery housing.

Sorry I'm late (just saw this part of the thread about y'alls new hybrid artics) but thanks for the answer people like me would eventually need. Why? A paper model replica version of those buses will be done. All I need from a friend of mine is that streamlined hybrid battery housing and I'm done.

I saw an HSR DE41LF on the Red Hill Valley Parkway today. It was travelling south and went under the Barton St bridge heading towards the escarpment. Means that the bus came from the QEW. Not sure what it would have been up to or where it was coming from. I couldn't make out the rear route display, though. It was a single word ...

Wow, Kevin, I remember when they were first out on the road, I can remember my excitement the first time riding them, I will miss them a lot..

but HSR being 100% ACCESSIBLE, is just awesome... hopefully now more people can be shifted off DARTS and onto the conventional system...

No way, keep them on DARTS! The HSR has enough wheelchair/walker passengers as it is. Not to mention DARTS would lose money due to the fact wheelchair/walker users don't have to pay on the regular buses.

I found this article in this weeks Mountain news here in Hamilton.....interesting! Didn't we have a good thing on Wentworth Street at one time?

Public works yards set to relocate

Transit Centre on Upper James is overcrowded

By Kevin Werner, News Staff

May 08, 2009

The city's public works Mountain Transit Center located on Upper James Street is overcrowded with buses and a new home needs to be found soon, says the general manager of transit.

But finding better accommodations for transit’s vehicles is only the first phase contemplated in the department’s master plan, as staff outlined this week. Other proposals include relocating its bus fleet from its Wentworth yard to Burlington Street; consolidating the city’s Ancaster’s transit operations to a new facility in the Ancaster Industrial Park; relocate roads operations from the Binbrook Yard to Tapleytown Yard; consolidate the city’s water and wastewater operations from Wentworth, Stoney Creek and Dundas to Brampton Street; and centralize the Dundas roads and parks operations from the Dundas Driving Park to the Dundas Yard.

“Frankly, we would not like to do this, but it is unavoidable,” said Don Hull, director of transit.

Mr. Hull pointed out that at the Mountain Transit Center, there are 266 buses in a building designed to hold 200. “We are overcapacity in every area,” said Mr. Hull. “DARTS are operating out of trailers. The facility is totally inadequate.”

Members of the public works committee agreed this week to relocate the city’s Disabled and Aged Regional Transportation System (DARTS) to its Wentworth Street location, while also shifting the department’s waste collection operations from Wentworth Street to the Materials Recycling Facility on Burlington Street, as part of the department’s first phase of its public works master plan.

The total cost for the two initial moves is about $1.6 million.

The money will be taken through the department’s capital reserves.

Seems to me the easiest route would be to split the buses between the mountain transit centre and Wentworth garage, as long as Wentworth has the capacity. Then of course all the lower city buses (or most of them) could be based out of the Wentworth garage, and wouldn't have to run up and down the mountain to enter/leave service. In the end I highly doubt the HSR would do this anyway, more than likely opting for a greenfield plot out in Ancaster or something and housing everything in one facility instead.

I guess all those articulated buses that are sitting around has really put the crush on.

Anyways, every bus ice been on so far has a new radio installed. So why is it taking so long with the artics? The new radios sound like it connects to all HSR offices in the garage like mechanics, cleaners and supervisors because someone talks every few seconds.

On other measures bus 0801 has trial anti graffiti windows. These must new windows because there's no graffiti whatsoever but all it consists of us a special removable plastic over the glass that gets removed when it gets covered with graffiti.

Anyways, every bus ice been on so far has a new radio installed. So why is it taking so long with the artics? The new radios sound like it connects to all HSR offices in the garage like mechanics, cleaners and supervisors because someone talks every few seconds.

On other measures bus 0801 has trial anti graffiti windows. These must new windows because there's no graffiti whatsoever but all it consists of us a special removable plastic over the glass that gets removed when it gets covered with graffiti.

You don't need the new artics on the road because the post secondary season is over.

Anyways, every bus ice been on so far has a new radio installed.

You're probably just hearing open channel communications, as the HSR radio room is currently gutted to install the new radio system. You can hear every call from dispatch to the buses, but you'd only hear calls to supervisors and mechanics if they were being sought on a bus. Even if the buses had the new radios, they would currently function the same as the old radios since there is no automated system in place to sort and prioritize the calls. It's all being done manually.

I would think the new radios would also mean the end of those 25-year-old keypad boxes next to the driver, replaced by something newer. So if you see one of those, it's probably still the old radio. The HSR should have the new radio system up and running by the end of the summer.

Actually, this leaves me with some questions of my own about the changeover... but I'll get to those eventually.

2006 and 2007 respectively. 9113 and 8913 were the last ones in service by April 23, 2007.

Actually, 8915 was the last one in service. I think the last day was April 20, 2007 after the morning rush.

Interesting to see two artics (0612 & 15) working the Parkale run today!

I know 0615 picked me up at valley park at 5:45PM and I was like WTF? But when it showed up it was jamm packed with people due to the carnival and events at valley park. Interesting when we went onto the highway.

By the way, were any of you with a red jacket and blue jeans standing in gore park today near the 26 stop at the edge of king street watching artic 0611 go by displaying "Main and Macnab" between 11:20 and 11:30ish this morning?

Interesting to see two artics (0612 & 15) working the Parkale run today!

I bet they had fun getting into the Burlington Terminal. It's a good thing Oakville Transit's Rt.14 doesn't go there on weekends.