Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

Go Transit houses many of its buses in the Wentworth Garage..if this is the garage right along the CN railway corridor.

Yes they do, when I worked at the Hamilton Police, we went into that garage for our GPS vehicle (Graffiti Prevention Strategy) and there were always Go Transit buses lined inside and out. I didn't get that great of a look, but there were even some in the mechanic bays being fixed, I may be wrong though.

The Wentworth garage holds EVERYTHING from recycling trucks, to compost trucks, city maintanance vehicles, plows, and I believe there is a small landfill there? I havent been for about 2 1/2 years there so I can't remember. :D

Yes they do, when I worked at the Hamilton Police, we went into that garage for our GPS vehicle (Graffiti Prevention Strategy) and there were always Go Transit buses lined inside and out. I didn't get that great of a look, but there were even some in the mechanic bays being fixed, I may be wrong though.

The Wentworth garage holds EVERYTHING from recycling trucks, to compost trucks, city maintanance vehicles, plows, and I believe there is a small landfill there? I havent been for about 2 1/2 years there so I can't remember. :D

The Wentworth garage is just basically a satallite garage for GO buses. All service guys does is clean and do minor work. Major work will have to be at Steeprock.

HSR is currently experiencing problems with two of the CNG compressors at the Mountain Garage. With the reduced capacity, it has been necessary to fill up some of the buses at the old Wentworth garage as the CNG facilities are still present and working there.

It is not known how long this situation will go on for and it does not appear to be everyday. Sometimes the CNG compressor problems surface and sometimes they work fine. Hopefully, it will all be worked out shortly because it definitely adds a lot of stress to the service line staff and adds to the time required to service the fleet.

Kevin

When I started noticing that it was all Natural Gas buses I figured it might have something to do with that.

I think it might actually save money to use the old Wentworth garage some of the time. If anything it would cut the cost of fuel in having buses that go out of service downtown from travelling all the way from downtown to the mountain garage. Especially for routes that stay below the mountain, such as routes 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,12. This location could serve, maybe not as an overnight garage, but possibly to store the buses that go out of service mid-morning at the end of rush hour and then re-enter service for afternoon rush. So instead of a bus driving 10.7km (17 minute drive) to the mountain garage it could be parked a mere 3.6km (9 minute drive) from downtown for the 4-5 hours parked. A few drivers that I've talked to seem to like the idea of using Wentworth again too.

I was fanning yesterday. Here's what happened.

From Dundas, I took 9911 (Orion VI) which was almost out of CNG. Luckily, I got off at University Plaza to catch 9621 (New Flyer C40LF) which by the way shouldn't be on the B-Line. I took that to MacNab and went to Burlington. I was on a hunt for 7047-82 (Fishbowl) but it was in vain.

In Burlington I rode 7020-03 (Invero) on the 1 Fairview-Plains until Burlington GO, Then 7007-85 (Classic) on the 8 Harvester to Appleby GO. I rode 7032-06 (Blue Bird) on the 4 Pinedale-East back to Appleby. I then rode 7037-07 (D40LF) on the 10 New East to Downtown, catching another D40LF (7035-06) to Burlington GO. I decided to return home on 7066-91 (Orion V).

Back in Hamilton, I hopped on the first bus out of downtown which conveniently was 0515 (5C West Hamilton) to Emerson. Which leads me to my next point, they need to hurry and get more artics or have 2-3 busses piggy-backing on the routes around MacMaster. I got out of the sardine can (0515) and hopped on 0403 (52 Dundas), I absolutely hated the driver, his rudeness and the fact that he changed the destination sign before Ogilvie. It said "TO HEAD STREET VIA KING EAST" when I got on it at Mac, and he changed it to read "TO PIRIE/GOVERNORS". My friend actually had the same experience as me with regards to his outright rudeness. He wouldn't let her on the bus and she was in a rush to get home. I hope I never experience that Half-Wit again.

To make a long story short, I had fun up until my ride on 0403. I still want to ride the Fishbowl though. Happy reading.

Chris.

Sounds like you had a fun day. :P

Those tanks at the MTC must still be going haywire. CNG buses have been going up and down Wentworth today and yesterday.

And on their return to the MTC, they took Wellington Street all the way up the Clairmont access, I saw many and many CNG buses go by my work VIA that route, reading O.O.S.

When I started noticing that it was all Natural Gas buses I figured it might have something to do with that.

I think it might actually save money to use the old Wentworth garage some of the time. If anything it would cut the cost of fuel in having buses that go out of service downtown from travelling all the way from downtown to the mountain garage. Especially for routes that stay below the mountain, such as routes 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,12. This location could serve, maybe not as an overnight garage, but possibly to store the buses that go out of service mid-morning at the end of rush hour and then re-enter service for afternoon rush. So instead of a bus driving 10.7km (17 minute drive) to the mountain garage it could be parked a mere 3.6km (9 minute drive) from downtown for the 4-5 hours parked. A few drivers that I've talked to seem to like the idea of using Wentworth again too.

Tell that to your city, it's all budget cost on operation to bring back Wentworth garage again.

I was fanning yesterday. Here's what happened.

From Dundas, I took 9911 (Orion VI) which was almost out of CNG. Luckily, I got off at University Plaza to catch 9621 (New Flyer C40LF) which by the way shouldn't be on the B-Line. I took that to MacNab and went to Burlington. I was on a hunt for 7047-82 (Fishbowl) but it was in vain.

How did you know 9911 ran out of CNG?

Tell that to your city, it's all budget cost on operation to bring back Wentworth garage again.

What about a petition, make everyone sign it saying that the city is wasting fuel by lugging all buses up the mount, when most can stay down here. That may work.

BTW anyways, funky coloured cup holders have been installed into every bus, under the transmission buttons, where it says drivers heat outlet. The way it is doesnt give the driver much leg room when he/she is driving.

How did you know 9911 ran out of CNG?

He probably read the the fuel icon on the dash, which said "empty". But half the time it is wrong, it may say its empty but it is really full.

What about a petition, make everyone sign it saying that the city is wasting fuel by lugging all buses up the mount, when most can stay down here. That may work.

BTW anyways, funky coloured cup holders have been installed into every bus, under the transmission buttons, where it says drivers heat outlet. The way it is doesnt give the driver much leg room when he/she is driving.

He probably read the the fuel icon on the dash, which said "empty". But half the time it is wrong, it may say its empty but it is really full.

Heh, good luck again, the city never cared alot. 10km from Wentworth to Mountain is not alot to burn.

Why new cupholder? The current is on the middle of the dashboard seems to be a fine location.

Strangely, I was on Upper James with my GF about 9:20pm tonight when I saw a bus (0403) with a weird destination sign. I couldn't make out what it said. The rear I was able to read somewhat, it said "Drive...Dont...Stop." It flashed one word at a time. Does anyone know about this new "First" time P/R message? Or what it fully reads?

Front: "MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE ~ DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE"

Rear: "DON'T ~ DRINK ~ AND ~ DRIVE"

Thanks for clearing that up!

Saw John (Buschic you know who Im talking about!) on the route 3 Cannon doing a coverage, and he told me he will be doing route 34 Upper Paradise tomorrow! I dont know what time though, so it may be one of your last chances to visit him!

He also told me there ARE new cupholders under the transmission buttons,

and also said there was NO cupholder at all on the bus,

so drivers had to put their coffee/drink beside their seat.

General682002 asked why they need new cupholders? Well it turns out there wasn't one AT ALL! But its all good. :D

thats the first being installed in ALL buses! :P

General682002 asked why they need new cupholders? Well it turns out there wasn't one AT ALL! But its all good. :D

Crazy! They want somewhere more conveniences!

Thanks for clearing that up!

Saw John (Buschic you know who Im talking about!) on the route 3 Cannon doing a coverage, and he told me he will be doing route 34 Upper Paradise tomorrow! I dont know what time though, so it may be one of your last chances to visit him!

Thanks , I cant get down to Hamilton, but I miss him a LOT, I have a picture of us together, and I';ve said my goodbye's, it was hugely emotional for me, so I really dotn want to have to do it again.... But Yeah, I'll miss him it feels weird getting on a 25/26 with John not driving...

The fleet information that I had received during the MBS convention last weekend lists that there's one more active Classic then the original six (8707, 8711, 8714, 8803, 8806 and 8809). It's 8715. Now I haven't seen this bus with my sight as of yet but I'm not sure.

Any clarification?

According to my gf, who used to take the university everyday up till last friday, 8715 is active (80%), and I may have seen it myself. maybe I work on Upper James, so I will keep an eye out <_<

The fleet information that I had received during the MBS convention last weekend lists that there's one more active Classic then the original six (8707, 8711, 8714, 8803, 8806 and 8809). It's 8715. Now I haven't seen this bus with my sight as of yet but I'm not sure.

Any clarification?

Sorry guys, mistakes do happen. Bus 8715 is not active and there are only six active classics left.

I hope to issue a final version of the MBS rosters in Excel format sometime in the next 1-2 weeks, complete with additional info gathered during the convention. I will correct this mistake at that time.

Kevin

9701 is REALLY in bad shape, it has extremely slow acceleration as mentioned before. The engine sound is completely different and stays on first gear sometimes for like 15 seconds or more, then makes a rapid "jump" to the next gear, and so on. Does anyone know why it does this?

BTW Kevin N, is 9716 retired? It hasn't been spotted by me since May or earlier than that.

If anyone sees it, please report it here.

Some news!

SURPRISINGLY I was waiting for the 2 Barton at Barton & Ottawa, heading downtown about 8:45 this evening (An hour ago) and GUESS what shows up?!?!? HSR Artic 0611!!!!

I've never saw a artic on the 2 Barton before so it is a special sighting to me..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got on 0405 0n the 26 Upper Wellington about 9:00pm (about 40 mins ago) and there were two young guys sitting at the very front seats with a maybe 8-10" computer monitor, and a very mini tower. I believe these were the guys counting the passengers getting on/off the bus. It was a very cool little system, and I UNSUCCESSFULLY tried to read what was on the screen.

BTW Kevin N, is 9716 retired? It hasn't been spotted by me since May or earlier than that.

Nova 9716 is at the garage and has been there for some time. It is parked at the north side of the garage which is where they put buses that are out of service. I would expect that they are waiting for a part to come in but I am not sure. If it is a major problem, they are probably wondering whether to fix it or not.

The 18 artics are going to start on the production line in mid-November and should all be delivered by March 2009. The first one should be on the property sometime in January 2009. Of the 18 artics, 11 are scheduled for replacement with 7 for fleet expansion. I do not know what is going to be retired when the artics arrive.

Kevin