Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

30 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Watch the movie "Deliverance".  It's a documentary and it explains everything about Hamilton including HSR.

It is a action/adventure movie, silly. XD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, hamilton.area.transit said:

2111 was delivered about a hour ago. They have plastic seats, the new drivers window and the bottom of the bus is white instead of grey.

I saw 2111 at Main/Dundurn yesterday. I can 100% confirm they have the new drivers window and the bottom skirt panels are white. I don't have a photo. Also, the bus had displayed #10 and HSR on the destination sign.

5 hours ago, DiltonPlayzYT said:

I saw 2111 at Main/Dundurn yesterday. I can 100% confirm they have the new drivers window and the bottom skirt panels are white. I don't have a photo. Also, the bus had displayed #10 and HSR on the destination sign.

We dont need you to confirm it lol. I have pictures of it.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, hamilton.area.transit said:

2110 and 2112 have been delivered

As of 1:13 PM , they are still not delivered. I suspect they are filling up at a CNG filling station someplace as they always are delivered with a full tank of fuel.

10 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

As of 1:13 PM , they are still not delivered. I suspect they are filling up at a CNG filling station someplace as they always are delivered with a full tank of fuel.

A driver i know messaged me saying they pulled into the garage after i saw them at Upper James and Rymal.

3 hours ago, H4 5600 said:

Is there some kind of issue with the DE60LFR's? I noticed none have came out all day which i have never seen before (other then during extreme weather which doesnt apply today). 

Yes, many of the 2009s have frame issues. 

Procurement process for LRT to start later this year, construction in 2024

Metrolinx is starting this circus up again?  Are we going to hear about a delay six months from now causing procurement to be pushed back into 2023 with construction starting in early 2025 and go back to the alternating six month delay cycle that ran from 2017-2019 until Doug Ford killed the thing? 

"Later this year" sounds a lot like "let's wait around until after the municipal elections this fall and hope Bob Bratina gets re-elected so we don't have to do it".  One of the other things that stuck out in the article to me was that, if we work on the assumption that the Hamilton LRT is actually going to proceed from where it stands today, procurement, and construction starting in 2024, it's going to take 10 years to build?  For a 14km surface LRT?  Are they planning to hire the St. Clair ROW project management people from the TTC or something?

7 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Procurement process for LRT to start later this year, construction in 2024

Metrolinx is starting this circus up again?  Are we going to hear about a delay six months from now causing procurement to be pushed back into 2023 with construction starting in early 2025 and go back to the alternating six month delay cycle that ran from 2017-2019 until Doug Ford killed the thing? 

"Later this year" sounds a lot like "let's wait around until after the municipal elections this fall and hope Bob Bratina gets re-elected so we don't have to do it".  One of the other things that stuck out in the article to me was that, if we work on the assumption that the Hamilton LRT is actually going to proceed from where it stands today, procurement, and construction starting in 2024, it's going to take 10 years to build?  For a 14km surface LRT?  Are they planning to hire the St. Clair ROW project management people from the TTC or something?

At this point, talk about LRT construction is like the circle of life. Always about to happen, but then political changes end up stalling it up. It would be nice if it would actually happen, but Bratina certainly wouldn't help matters..

2 hours ago, CLRV4094 said:

At this point, talk about LRT construction is like the circle of life. Always about to happen, but then political changes end up stalling it up. It would be nice if it would actually happen, but Bratina certainly wouldn't help matters..

Exactly.  When I read about Metrolinx going around and around always with procurement then construction always being six months and a year out at any given time no matter when you check up on it, I always end up hearing Joni Mitchell's "Circle Game" song in my head.

The article was kind of timely because I ended up spending a good chunk of the day on HSR yesterday including a ride along a good chunk of the LRT route so there were several things that stood out to me.  One was the comments about early works.  Those were already well underway when the project was cancelled in 2019 and they're making it sound like they need to do it all again.  They did a lot of geotechnical surveys along most, if not all of the route.  I managed to get ahold of copies of some of the work notifications for my collection.  The geotechnical might need to be updated in spots where changes were made but the whole thing doesn't need to be redone from scratch.

They bought most of the real estate needed and moved the occupants out and demolished the buildings.  I saw a lot of that on my rides yesterday where the vacant lots dot the route.  This doesn't need to be done again unless someone's planning on putting demolished buildings back up in order to tear them down again under the guise of "early works".  The big earthworks to reinforce the high pressure oil pipeline that cuts across the traffic circle in the hydro right of way was done in 2019 and finished up a couple of days before the cancellation announcement.  I think I took pictures of this; if I can find them, I'll post them.  The big potential budget destroying item was the bridge over the Red Hill, but that was surveyed and determined to be able to carry LRT trains, so that doesn't need to be done again and also means the bridge isn't going to become a massive early works project in and of itself.

The other big thing about that article was how they want to competely redesign the streets etc etc etc and pack it all into the LRT project.  It's understandable but at the same time presents the risk that it'll turn into a scope creep situation where time and budget explode out of hand like it did on St. Clair in Toronto.

Every time the Hamilton LRT comes up, it's always excuses from Metrolinx why a contract award is always six months out and why construction is a year plus out and never gets any closer.  The first thing out of Metrolinx after the big joint announcement in May 2021 announcing doing the project was how they couldn't get started on it any time soon.  That's almost a year and a quarter ago so Metrolinx is going to be spending at least a year and a half on getting ready to get started, despite a considerable amount of work already being done and out of the way.

At least Hurontario, Finch West, Eglinton are all under construction and some of them maybe even opening soon, but Metrolinx has not yet delivered and opened a single LRT line anywhere.  Ottawa, for all its faults, is built open with an extension in the works.  K-W's been open and running quietly for a few years now and I think they're starting plans for an extension as well since they got cleared to request money for one.  I posted an article about that quite a while ago.  I was up there a few weeks ago for a football game.  Tri City Outlaws are playing at Laurier's stadium this year instead of Rogers Field and there's an LRT stop right there.  I was going to take a ride after since I was parked right there except I was absolutely wrecked by the end of the game.  One of my friends is up there now for an APTA thing and stopped by my place for a visit on the weekend.  I was joking around about how he's going to have to ask about the benefits of being an entirely Metrolinx-free operation.  Metrolinx is not impressive at all, but the Hamilton LRT has got to be the absolute nadir in terms of sheer inability and unwillingness to get anything done.

• Like 1

I promised pictures of Hamilton LRT early works - as in, so early it took place before this decade - construction.  Here we go:

AB5F6E83-C45A-4CAB-80EB-C6190647D27B.thumb.jpeg.18c58a91d6f79bc478fe7909a56936d7.jpeg

Construction was staged at the site of the City Motor Hotel and Herbie’s Drug Store.

02015D5D-35DE-4B91-BFDB-4CA79A9A0495.thumb.jpeg.60d9d53dfc512b8c13271ddaf58149d7.jpeg

41B6F591-387A-4C65-9D3D-A2845D94D1AA.thumb.jpeg.32f40ef5438d7816a98c4a37efde12d3.jpeg

That huge 230,000 volt power line you can see in the pictures is the hydro right of way the oil pipeline in question follows underground.

F1FDA488-B32C-43DC-91ED-928ED5D99EC0.thumb.jpeg.cc2498ca9cad95bde0c49157360feb20.jpeg

0244BD6E-1B69-4898-BFA5-EA6F083F2A31.thumb.jpeg.76d5c2412f5a03e2ecf9932743edee29.jpeg

This was the end result where the pipeline had been excavated and reinforced all across the side of the traffic circle.  This work took a few months.  I grabbed the pictures at the start on October 16 and the winter ones of the finished, shovels actually in the dirt to start building the first parts of the Hamilton LRT on December 17, 2019, the day after the project got cancelled which ensured that the only public transportation passing over that new strip of pavement above the pipeline that had been reinforced to carry LRT trains was going to be this:

71BD262D-5E80-498E-AB2A-3D0170D0A2A5.thumb.jpeg.92d3a9d9642387fb364ce798dcf186fe.jpeg

Unlike Toronto, there’s no trolleybus remnants you can see around the traffic circle hinting at all the overhead and switches that were present there until the trolley buses were junked.

I found these pictures by searching for Queenston Rd. geotags on my phone and there’s one more in the bunch that turned up that I just have to post.

With respect to Bob Bratina walking away from the federal government over them funding the LRT and running for mayor again, we know he hates light rail. What does Bob Bratina love?  Bob Bratina loves his car and he loves himself and he has his vehicle adorned with the appropriate vanity plate:

962A0432-C100-4299-AAEA-A44CB4A92DD5.thumb.jpeg.bfa15c2a50fe0385440338895a816b95.jpeg

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

What does Bob Bratina love?  Bob Bratina loves his car and he loves himself and he has his vehicle adorned with the appropriate vanity plate:

You know, if you're going to take the unenviable position of championing the car, then at least pick a semi decent one lol

Just as a random note, I've been going to Hamilton pretty regularly over the last year for school, and I gotta say the place has so much potential. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

With respect to Bob Bratina walking away from the federal government over them funding the LRT and running for mayor again, we know he hates light rail. 

962A0432-C100-4299-AAEA-A44CB4A92DD5.thumb.jpeg.bfa15c2a50fe0385440338895a816b95.jpeg

His vocal opposition towards the LRT reminds me of people complain about change in general, but your right, for him, if he can't drive his car without those ''pesky LRTs'' in the way, then he and many like him will be mad. 

Buses 0602, 0722 and 0821 have recently had their licence plates removed and can be considered retired. Buses 0722 and 0821 are being cannibalized for parts.

There will be 5 retirements when the 2100 series buses are ready for service so that means there should be 2 more retirements that are unknown at this point. The 20 new buses will result in a fleet expansion of 15 units due to service enhancements for year 6 of the 10 year Transit Service Plan.

HSR 0602 0821 - 25JUL22.jpg

HSR 2114 - 25JUL22.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Seashore_518203 said:

Buses 0602, 0722 and 0821 have recently had their licence plates removed and can be considered retired. Buses 0722 and 0821 are being cannibalized for parts.

There will be 5 retirements when the 2100 series buses are ready for service so that means there should be 2 more retirements that are unknown at this point. The 20 new buses will result in a fleet expansion of 15 units due to service enhancements for year 6 of the 10 year Transit Service Plan.

HSR 0602 0821 - 25JUL22.jpg

HSR 2114 - 25JUL22.jpg

whats the plan with 0602? going back to being a "storage" bus or going to scrap?