Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

1 hour ago, JRM1000 said:

Was bus 922 part of the buses that were found with frame issues?

I saw it back in service this morning after having been OOS since May 30. Also noticed it has white instead of the silver for the wheels. 

Yes it was indeed part of the buses with frame issues, it, 926 and 0610 and 0615 were noted last month as having the issues. It has new wheels too? I will keep an eye out for it

11 hours ago, JRM1000 said:

Was bus 922 part of the buses that were found with frame issues?

I saw it back in service this morning after having been OOS since May 30. Also noticed it has white instead of the silver for the wheels. 

ive been noticing more buses having the white rims. 1428, 921, 0708, are a couple to be named

• Thanks 1

HSR 0706 is seen at the HSR garage today being prepared for a return to service. It is almost ready for the road and should be in service sometime next week.

This is the last of the buses that were in storage to enter service. Buses 0601, 0602, 0701-0709 and 0913 were the additions to the fleet which now stands at 277 plus 2 replica trolleys. 

HSR 0706 - 19NOV21.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Forgot to say this yesterday.

I road 0520, 0702, and 0602 yesterday and they all worked good. 0520 did a good job on the RHVP even though it was a short journey but still good. 0702 heat wasn't really that good. It was very spotty. And 0602 nothing wrong with it, it rode great, the heat was great, it sounded nice. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

4 injured after SEPTA trolley collides with freight train in Darby, Pennsylvania

My gut instinct says that this accident will rule out the possibility of Canadian Pacific reconsidering their position against having a level crossing between their little spur line and the Hamilton LRT.

This is, of course, assuming the Hamilton LRT actually gets built this time around but Metrolinx is sure looking like they're back to dragging their heels and spiking it in the hopes that another politician will come along and kill it again; once certainly can't help but notice the differing level of effort and commitment between Hurontario, Finch, Eglinton and the conspicuous absence of the same when it comes to the Hamilton LRT.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

4 injured after SEPTA trolley collides with freight train in Darby, Pennsylvania

My gut instinct says that this accident will rule out the possibility of Canadian Pacific reconsidering their position against having a level crossing between their little spur line and the Hamilton LRT.

This is, of course, assuming the Hamilton LRT actually gets built this time around but Metrolinx is sure looking like they're back to dragging their heels and spiking it in the hopes that another politician will come along and kill it again; once certainly can't help but notice the differing level of effort and commitment between Hurontario, Finch, Eglinton and the conspicuous absence of the same when it comes to the Hamilton LRT.

I guess they're not going ahead with plans to dig a tunnel under the CPR crossing? I thought that was the plan to deal with that stretch of trackage according to the schematics I saw.

3 hours ago, Chris W said:

I guess they're not going ahead with plans to dig a tunnel under the CPR crossing? I thought that was the plan to deal with that stretch of trackage according to the schematics I saw.

It became the plan when CP flat out refused to allow a level crossing and became one of the items that pushed the cost up.

Then once the LRT got cancelled one of the ideas that was kicked around was to do a shorter line that fit within the $1.1 billion provincial funding limit that ended at Gage Ave.  That neatly avoided the expense of building the LRT tunnel under that spur line by ending the line right before it.

What I was getting at is the streetcar accident in Philadelphia pretty much nailed the coffin shut and buried the idea of CP reconsidering and allowing a level crossing with that lightly used spur line.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

What I was getting at is the streetcar accident in Philadelphia pretty much nailed the coffin shut and buried the idea of CP reconsidering and allowing a level crossing with that lightly used spur line.

I wouldn't call three round-trips each day "lightly used".

Although by the same token, it certainly isn't as busy as the CSX line through Derby.

Dan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been on 1636? The doors on this bus don't make that loud hissing sound when opening, instead they are quiet with just the faint sound of what seems like an electric motor. I'm not saying it IS an electric motor but I've never seen doors on our Novas behave the way they did on 1636. Perhaps its just a one time repair for this bus, either way it was quite different. Speaking of our Novas, does anyone think HSR will order our future Novas with the new driver window? Apparently its not standard right now, just an option.

1 hour ago, Vekoma said:

Has anyone been on 1636? The doors on this bus don't make that loud hissing sound when opening, instead they are quiet with just the faint sound of what seems like an electric motor. I'm not saying it IS an electric motor but I've never seen doors on our Novas behave the way they did on 1636. Perhaps its just a one time repair for this bus, either way it was quite different. Speaking of our Novas, does anyone think HSR will order our future Novas with the new driver window? Apparently its not standard right now, just an option.

The new driver window is now standard; you can't order any without it.

A couple multiyear orders that were placed prior to when the new window was introduced could still go forward with the old layout; however, starting last year pretty much everything built came with the new window.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

As of Sunday, January 23rd, HSR will move back to a summer level of service. I don't have other information at this time. Anyone else whom has additional details can share?

Thank you.

This still has to be confirmed by the Hamilton Emergency Operations Centre (EOC). Once it is approved (expected to happen tomorrow), further details will be released.

On 1/4/2022 at 8:36 PM, Seashore_518203 said:

This still has to be confirmed by the Hamilton Emergency Operations Centre (EOC). Once it is approved (expected to happen tomorrow), further details will be released.

Regular weekday schedules on routes 1, 2, 4, 5, 11, 12, 16, 20, 27, 44, 52A, myRide.

Summer weekday schedules on routes 3, 6, 7, 8, 10, 21-26, 33, 34, 35, 41, 43, 55, 58.

Current reduced weekday schedule on route 51 (15 minute peak service).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Stoney Creek and Mountain residents will benefit from Hamilton proposed transit expansion plans

By Kevin Werner Reporter Stoney Creek News Mon., Jan. 25, 2022

Hamilton’s plan to invest another $5 million in the 2022 transit budget will mean expanded service for Stoney Creek and Mountain residents.

Transit Director Maureen Cosyn Heath said the Year 6 investment plan of the city’s 10-year transit program will mean expanded service for Route 23 that covers Upper Stoney Creek and the Mountain area involving Mud Street West, Green Mountain Road, Highland Road and Highbury Drive; additional service for the Upper Ottawa Route 22 line that will get workers to the nearby business park with improved frequency of buses and additional service during evenings; and Saturday service additions for the A-line along Upper James.

The proposed $5.5 million will mean 14 additional buses, 49,000 new service hours, and a five cent fare increase starting Sept. 1, 2022.

Stoney Creek Coun. Brad Clark applauded staff for improving transit in upper Stoney Creek, a growing area considering more people, especially students, are using the service. It is expected the new service will begin in September 2022.

“I have been working with staff since my election to address Route 43,” said Clark. “You have addressed it.”

Mountain Coun. John-Paul Danko also praised staff for investing in the important A-line that services businesses along Upper James to the waterfront as well as the Hamilton International Airport.

“The A-line is really the key north-south spine (of the transit system),” he said. “It will be a key component to intensification on our urban planning. It is really great news.”

The city is planning on spending about $8.5 million to improve about five intersections along the route, install transit signals at 26 intersections, and upgrade the streetscaping, said Brian Hollingworth, director of transportation.

“There is lots of work going on along the A-line,” he said. “Stay tuned.”

Further transit improvements to the Stoney Creek area are planned in Year 7, beginning in September 2023.

Stoney Creek Coun. Maria Pearson has been fighting to get expanded transit in her area for years as residential development projects continue to be approved, especially along the northern side of the Queen Elizabeth Way. She said as businesses such as Amazon at Barton and Glover and Venetian Meats on Lewis Road open, employees are needed to get to work.

“A lot of workers do not have vehicles,” she said.

Jason VanderHeide, manager of transit planning and infrastructure, said staff have met with Amazon officials and it is expected transit service should be ready to carry the estimated 5,000 employees to work at the company’s Upper James location by the end of 2022.

He said in Year 7 of the strategy, when an additional 49,000 service hours and 14 new buses will be provided at a cost of nearly $6 million, Stoney Creek will benefit from the investment. It will include extension of Route 55A to Fifty Road and the busy Winona Crossing shopping complex and expansion of Route 5 Delaware King and Highway 8.

“(The plan) will be the focus of the lower Stoney Creek area and how we can improve it,” he said.

VanderHeide said staff are testing smaller 30-foot buses rather than the 44-foot or 60-foot articulated buses to transport people along the South Service Road, Arvin Avenue and Barton Street areas.

Meanwhile, residents can still take advantage of the Stoney Creek Trans-Cab service, but they still have to pay 50 cents for a ride, said Nancy Purser, manager of transit support services.

“Trans-Cab is still an augmented service,” said Purser. “It is not free.

https://www.thespec.com/local-stoney-creek/news/2022/01/25/stoney-creek-and-mountain-residents-will-benefit-from-hamilton-proposed-transit-expansion-plans.html?itm_source=parsely-api

30 minutes ago, Hamilton said:

Stoney Creek and Mountain residents will benefit from Hamilton proposed transit expansion plans

By Kevin Werner Reporter Stoney Creek News Mon., Jan. 25, 2022

Hamilton’s plan to invest another $5 million in the 2022 transit budget will mean expanded service for Stoney Creek and Mountain residents.

Transit Director Maureen Cosyn Heath said the Year 6 investment plan of the city’s 10-year transit program will mean expanded service for Route 23 that covers Upper Stoney Creek and the Mountain area involving Mud Street West, Green Mountain Road, Highland Road and Highbury Drive; additional service for the Upper Ottawa Route 22 line that will get workers to the nearby business park with improved frequency of buses and additional service during evenings; and Saturday service additions for the A-line along Upper James.

The proposed $5.5 million will mean 14 additional buses, 49,000 new service hours, and a five cent fare increase starting Sept. 1, 2022.

Stoney Creek Coun. Brad Clark applauded staff for improving transit in upper Stoney Creek, a growing area considering more people, especially students, are using the service. It is expected the new service will begin in September 2022.

“I have been working with staff since my election to address Route 43,” said Clark. “You have addressed it.”

Mountain Coun. John-Paul Danko also praised staff for investing in the important A-line that services businesses along Upper James to the waterfront as well as the Hamilton International Airport.

“The A-line is really the key north-south spine (of the transit system),” he said. “It will be a key component to intensification on our urban planning. It is really great news.”

The city is planning on spending about $8.5 million to improve about five intersections along the route, install transit signals at 26 intersections, and upgrade the streetscaping, said Brian Hollingworth, director of transportation.

“There is lots of work going on along the A-line,” he said. “Stay tuned.”

Further transit improvements to the Stoney Creek area are planned in Year 7, beginning in September 2023.

Stoney Creek Coun. Maria Pearson has been fighting to get expanded transit in her area for years as residential development projects continue to be approved, especially along the northern side of the Queen Elizabeth Way. She said as businesses such as Amazon at Barton and Glover and Venetian Meats on Lewis Road open, employees are needed to get to work.

“A lot of workers do not have vehicles,” she said.

Jason VanderHeide, manager of transit planning and infrastructure, said staff have met with Amazon officials and it is expected transit service should be ready to carry the estimated 5,000 employees to work at the company’s Upper James location by the end of 2022.

He said in Year 7 of the strategy, when an additional 49,000 service hours and 14 new buses will be provided at a cost of nearly $6 million, Stoney Creek will benefit from the investment. It will include extension of Route 55A to Fifty Road and the busy Winona Crossing shopping complex and expansion of Route 5 Delaware King and Highway 8.

“(The plan) will be the focus of the lower Stoney Creek area and how we can improve it,” he said.

VanderHeide said staff are testing smaller 30-foot buses rather than the 44-foot or 60-foot articulated buses to transport people along the South Service Road, Arvin Avenue and Barton Street areas.

Meanwhile, residents can still take advantage of the Stoney Creek Trans-Cab service, but they still have to pay 50 cents for a ride, said Nancy Purser, manager of transit support services.

“Trans-Cab is still an augmented service,” said Purser. “It is not free.

https://www.thespec.com/local-stoney-creek/news/2022/01/25/stoney-creek-and-mountain-residents-will-benefit-from-hamilton-proposed-transit-expansion-plans.html?itm_source=parsely-api

So theres new buses coming this year? Someone said that we have 20 buses (Novas i believe) on-order for this year idk if thats gone out of the window or not.