Hamilton Street Railway

I'm also happy to hear that 60 footers will be permanent on Barton, that has been needed for years now since service frequency can't really be increased too much more at rush hour.

• 4 weeks later...

The federal budget that comes down on Monday is going to be an interesting one to watch.

It's been widely reported that Doug Ford suddenly wants to build the Hamilton LRT after scrapping it but only if someone else picks up part of the cost and LIUNA has looked into that.  LIUNA got a pretty severe object lesson in why trade unions don't typically endorse conservative politicians after Doug Ford yoinked that huge project out from under their members who would've been building it.  What will be interesting to see in the budget is if the federal government comes to the table with a funding commitment for it.

Catharine McKenna who's the minister of Infrastructure and Communities has come out in support of the project in the past but Bob Bratina who's the only Liberal member of parliament in Hamilton that I know of, whose riding the line would go through has either made mealy mouthed remarks against it or, contrary to what one would expect out of a politician and former radio host where the main job description for both is running your blab, been completely silent.

We will see on Monday.

On 2/16/2021 at 9:53 AM, Seashore_518203 said:

HSR 932 is shown in the Trapeze OPS maintenance system as being "In Heavy Repair". The status has not been changed to INACTIVE at this point, so you have to assume it is still active. The $1.2 million estimate is questionable as they did not even cost that when brand new.

Sometimes, transit systems cannot officially retire a vehicle on paper until the cheque comes in from the Insurance company which can be up to 1-2 years later or more. When a bus is acquired using taxpayer funding, you have to keep it active for a set amount of time which is why you see accident buses kept on site, even though they will never see service again.

As Chris W states, please leave the Wiki updates to local people and do not rely on driver's sending you a picture. Wait until you have official confirmation from the Maintenance Departmenr

On 2/17/2021 at 8:51 AM, smallspy said:

The problem is not that "people might not like that".

The problem is that the photos may not have been cleared to be released publicly. They may show things that shouldn't be shown to the public. They may have been sent to you by someone who is not supposed to be sending them, and so spreading them around may put them into an awkward - or worse, compromised - position. People have been fired for this kind of thing.

Unless you have been given explicit permission to share them, the best thing to do is not to.

Dan

913 and 932 are both back in service I seen it back in February of this year 

22 hours ago, HamiltonTransit1710 said:

913 and 932 are both back in service I seen it back in February of this year 

True.
Transit 55 shows 913 in service in Jan/Feb, and pics are floating around on Facebook.
I have witnessed 932 in service, and it was active as recently as yesterday.

On 4/17/2021 at 1:09 PM, Mishap said:

True.
Transit 55 shows 913 in service in Jan/Feb, and pics are floating around on Facebook.

i just checked Transsee and it last shows 0913 on the 44 back on Feb 2nd 2020

664578F1-27B2-427A-9581-80EC9E93EA7E.png

On 4/17/2021 at 1:09 PM, Mishap said:

True.

0913 is retired 100%. the farebox, ranger system, and presto system went to 0520 which was brought back to replace 0913 after it caught fire

• Like 1
7 hours ago, hamilton.area.transit said:

0913 is retired 100%. the farebox, ranger system, and presto system went to 0520 which was brought back to replace 0913 after it caught fire

Um no it's not!  There is a photo on Facebook showing a new paint job on the rear of the bus.   

• Like 4

I've been working my way through the budget document while dinner's in the oven.

Hamilton shows up once in the budget and it's in a table of child care costs in various cities, so there's no specific funding commitment in there for LRT.

There's mention on page 23 that's reiterated a few times later in the document that the federal government announced $14.9 billion in public transportation funding over eight years back in February and page 211 states that the Permanent Public Transit Fund will:

"This funding will support new subway lines, light-rail transit and streetcars, electric buses, active transportation infrastructure, and improved rural transit, which will create affordable commuting options in communities and reduce Canada’s emissions. It will also provide local governments with the predictable transit funding they need to plan ahead so Canada can keep building more sustainable and livable communities."

Page 222 gives a breakdown of the numbers with funding appearing in fiscal 2021-2 through 2025-6 that adds up to $5.941 billion.  It's heavily back end loaded like these things usually are and leaves about $9 billion of that funding announcement back in February unaccounted for as far as I can see at first glance although the 8 year span would extend past the back end of the date range in the budget document and probably also includes committed funding to projects outside the scope of this fund.

Where does this leave HSR?  Probably lobbying for funding under the LRT, electric bus*, and rural transit parts of the package.  I'm not sure exactly what the feds mean by active transportation infrastructure but I don't think it lines up with what a mainstream public transportation system like HSR does.  So, it's too early to know if HSR is going to remain a street railway in name only.

* Ok, I'm not even going to go there.  Even back in the 1990s when the TTC and HSR switched the power off and junked the coaches we knew that any fuel burning replacement was going to have an adverse impact on the environment over running electric.  The fact that we're taking incremental steps on battery buses now doesn't mitigate the fact that there was a big step backwards for about 30 years there compared to keeping whole fleets of vehicles electric.

On 4/23/2021 at 11:15 AM, CLRV4094 said:

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilton-region/2021/04/23/hsr-covid-protections.html

An article out this morning in the Spec about the union wanting a return to the first wave rear door boarding, and a no mask no ride rule. 

The problem with the no mask, no ride rule is that it leads to confrontation. Especially since some people will argue that they can't wear one due to a medical exemption.

Rear door boarding on the other hand would be nice, but the transit agency cannot afford to lose revenue. Even when it is meant to protect close contact with the operator (barriers were installed to prevent close contact), it did keep agencies on-hand regarding funding for lost revenue or service cuts to make up that lost revenue. Having to run the business without any cash flow to run those operations. 

• Like 1

The masks are an even bigger issue with the covid19 shots.

Even after the first shot, they are told to still wear marks and its about 2 weeks before it becomes effective.

Some believe that they are now immune to covid19 (nope) and no longer need a mask.

Even more will believe this immunity after the 2nd shot (whenever that occurs) andvthey don't  need a mask.  These shots are not like the polio vaccine.

ETS driver shields are top of the line for covid19 and thugs.  Haven't heard any covid issues except some drivers are not masked, which is a pretty bad visual...

Masks are to be worn until the health department says not to wear them! The first shot does not bring you near 100% protection depending on the maker of the vaccine. The second shot only brings you to 98%. You can still be a carrier or worst get it and be asymptomatic and carry it for weeks without knowing it is infecting a lot of people. When vaccinated, if you get Covid, the vaccine will lessen the chance of being seriously sick, ending up in the hospital, on a ventilator or dying. Everyone still needs to wear them!

• Like 1