Hybrid0920

Hamilton Street Railway

Caught 0520 again today. It was out as an extra run eariler on the 44, running only between Glancaster Loop and Eastgate Square, and not the normal end points. Also a shot of the interior, as it is the last HSR bus to have all brown seats instead of blue. 

IMG_6233.JPG

IMG_6234.JPG

• Like 4

6 hours ago, HelloWorld said:

Did buses #0601 and #0602 re-enter service? I noticed on the HSR CPTDB Wiki article that #0601-0602 were in the active roster section.

Buses 0601, 0602 and 0701-0709 are in storage, but are still on the active roster. Bus 0603 has been officially retired. They were supposed to be brought back to active duty with expansion that was to occur in September. Now that Covid-19 has cancelled that expansion, it is not known if they will come back. They will most likely be retired but I suspect that no decision will be made right away. The expansion was only postponed for a year (subject to Council approval) so there is still hope. With the Metrolinx Consortium new tender going out shortly, new buses are not going to be on the property any time soon.

From CBC yesterday regarding the light rail line that everyone who touches it manages to screw it up even more:

Metrolinx plans to demolish 21 vacant buildings along proposed LRT route

Obviously if the line is built, the buildings have to come down, and that's why they were expropriated to begin with.

If the line isn't built, that becomes a very contentious ball of wax because they're expropriating land and tearing down buildings, kicking people out of their homes, and throwing small businesses out for nothing except for creating vacant lots as a monument to sheer stupidity, then yes, I totally agree, it rightfully should be a big deal.

16 hours ago, CLRV4094 said:

It looks like DE60LFR 0610 might be retired considering it hasn't been out since September 9th. I don't wanna beat around the bush and say it is, but it hasn't been out for 9 days. If 0610 is retired, that leaves just 0615 as the sole survivor 

Um it's NOT retired!  Stop speculating.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 4:43 PM, CLRV4094 said:

It looks like DE60LFR 0610 might be retired considering it hasn't been out since September 9th. I don't wanna beat around the bush and say it is, but it hasn't been out for 9 days. If 0610 is retired, that leaves just 0615 as the sole survivor 

Nine days is not a lot of time for a bus to be out of service. Sometimes waiting for parts can take that long, or even longer. There are also many repairs, especially if it involves the articulation joint, that can take a lot longer than nine days to repair.

You say you do not want to "beat around the bush" but yet you seem very anxious to be the one to officially declare the unit retired. Let's wait for an official source prior to posting fleet observations in the future.

With no new buses on order until at least sometime in 2021, no units will be retired in the near future unless there is a major failure or accident.

• Thanks 1

On top of that, I'm sure the HSR is probably trying to keep the 60 footers on the road as much as possible to satisfy social distancing concerns.

3 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

Nine days is not a lot of time for a bus to be out of service. Sometimes waiting for parts can take that long, or even longer. There are also many repairs, especially if it involves the articulation joint, that can take a lot longer than nine days to repair.

You say you do not want to "beat around the bush" but yet you seem very anxious to be the one to officially declare the unit retired. Let's wait for an official source prior to posting fleet observations in the future.

With no new buses on order until at least sometime in 2020, no units will be retired in the near future unless there is a major failure or accident.

Yes, I should have used my judgement and not said that right off the bat. I imagine it will come back considering as another post said on here the social distancing, I was just wondering what happened considering 0610 had been pretty realible up until that point. 

5 minutes ago, HelloWorld said:

Bus_Medic, nobody needs your opinion.

My paycheque says otherwise.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HelloWorld said:

Bus_Medic, nobody needs your opinion.

I do, as he is a trusted professional in the transit vehicle maintenance field. I agree with him that your post was rather pointless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 10

52 minutes ago, HelloWorld said:

Your post is pointless.

Then how would you like it if I deleted my account from this website?

Keep it up. It’ll be deleted for you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I feel like I saw a whole bunch of new presto machines on a few different buses back when the HSR wasn't collecting fares but after they resumed I haven't gotten a single new reader. Was it just me or did they revert back to the old machines for some reason?

On 9/25/2020 at 7:24 PM, Wonka said:

I feel like I saw a whole bunch of new presto machines on a few different buses back when the HSR wasn't collecting fares but after they resumed I haven't gotten a single new reader. Was it just me or did they revert back to the old machines for some reason?

No it's not you, barely any have the new machines yet. Just 1202, 1604 and 1607 that I know of have the new machines. I've heard rumours that all buses are to get them by November 

6 hours ago, CLRV4094 said:

No it's not you, barely any have the new machines yet. Just 1202, 1604 and 1607 that I know of have the new machines. I've heard rumours that all buses are to get them by November 

Most systems in the GTA are being retrofitted at the same time, leading to shortages in both equipment and manpower to do installs. HSR probably got a handful of units done for training purposes as well as pilots (making sure the system works on all models/setups), with the balance of their readers to be installed later.

This could probably be asked in several different places but I'll put it here since the new Presto machines are being discussed right now:  Do the new ones continue to provide the outstanding balance on the card and time remaining on the fare like the existing 905 transit agency ones do, or are they similar to the TTC ones that only give a yay/nay go/no go indication when you tap a card?

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

This could probably be asked in several different places but I'll put it here since the new Presto machines are being discussed right now:  Do the new ones continue to provide the outstanding balance on the card and time remaining on the fare like the existing 905 transit agency ones do, or are they similar to the TTC ones that only give a yay/nay go/no go indication when you tap a card?

They will give you your balance and time remaining for transfer.

The Toronto version is a TTC-specific thing, and not something that Presto wants to recreate.

Dan

3 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

Do you have a picture?

Not the best picture, but here it is at the garage. The Denso unit, common in Australia and eastern Asia, is being tested.

HSR 1511 - 04AUG20.jpg

• Like 3