Hamilton Street Railway

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do, as he is a trusted professional in the transit vehicle maintenance field. I agree with him that your post was rather pointless.

Your post is pointless. Then how would you like it if I deleted my account from this website?

I just retired, 30 years service, from MiWay (Feb 28/18).  Now I'm proud to say my son just got hired by HSR.  Starts training on Mar 12.

Posted Images

Hamilton police say they are investigating a collision between a pickup truck and a city bus that happened early Tuesday morning.

Hamilton police say they are investigating a collision between a pickup truck and a city bus that happened early Tuesday morning.

Const. Jerome Stewart with the Hamilton Police Service said officers were called to the scene of a crash involving a black truck and a HSR bus at the intersection of Main Street East and John Street South just before 8:30 a.m.

The Hamilton Spectator was on scene and witnessed a small pickup truck with extensive damage to its passenger side and cargo bed.

Stewart was unable to confirm if any passengers were on the bus but said one person was treated for “minor injuries.”

“The investigation will be ongoing to determine if any charges will be laid,” said Stewart.

According to the police’s Twitter, the intersection was closed for approximately two hours and reopened shortly after 10:30 a.m.

A battered pickup truck sits near scaffolding around a building following a collision at Main and John Street between the pickup and an HSR bus. Two lanes of traffic on Main and John Street northbound were closed during clean up. All lanes have since reopened.

On 6/17/2020 at 2:48 PM, HelloWorld said:

Does anyone know if the bus is repairable and when it will return to service? Also another question is what was the fleet number of the bus that was involved in the collision?

Not "Is the operator okay?" or "I hope everyone that was on the bus are okay.".  Seriously, it doesn't matter if there's injuries to the occupants of both vehicles, including the operator.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, HelloWorld said:

As of recently, 40' buses are currently being used on the 99 Waterfront Shuttle.

Buses 70 and 71 did not have driver shields installed or social distancing measures applied to their seats. They will not be used this summer on route 99. It will be 40' buses only.

On 6/17/2020 at 2:48 PM, HelloWorld said:

Does anyone know if the bus is repairable and when it will return to service? Also another question is what was the fleet number of the bus that was involved in the collision?

Bus 1806 was the bus that had the collision with the black pickup truck. It will be repaired.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Bessarion said:

I will be in the Hamilton area for a month, is there any other routes where the grande west buses operate other than the 18?

Normally, the 6/7/8 also gets them. Right now, though, it’s anyone’s guess as they have been running 40 foot buses due to COVID and social distancing. 

A while ago, I was riding an HSR bus that had 2 drivers on it. The 2nd driver was being impatient with the 2nd wheelchair ramp and broke it. The bus had to be put out of service and brought back to the garage.

Also, CaKrome, the Wi-Fi probably was temporarily disabled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It will probably be re-activated after the event is over.

On 7/18/2020 at 7:09 PM, CaKrome said:

HSR seems completely removed the their on bus Wi-Fi equipments along with signs of "Free Wi-Fi". I was on #1420 last week, my phone couldn't find the "HSR-Wifi" hot spot.

1 hour ago, HelloWorld said:

Also, CaKrome, the Wi-Fi probably was temporarily disabled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It will probably be re-activated after the event is over.

What on earth could COVID-19 have to do with wifi?  If they wanted to disable the wifi for any reason, COVID-19 or other, there are other far easier administrative ways to do it without having to go to the trouble of removing the equipment.

Seriously, I've seen this movie before and I hate reruns.  "Because COVID-19" is the new "Because security reasons" for anything and everything after 9/11 whether even remotely related or not.  It is time to get a grip, people.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

What on earth could COVID-19 have to do with wifi?  If they wanted to disable the wifi for any reason, COVID-19 or other, there are other far easier administrative ways to do it without having to go to the trouble of removing the equipment.

Seriously, I've seen this movie before and I hate reruns.  "Because COVID-19" is the new "Because security reasons" for anything and everything after 9/11 whether even remotely related or not.  It is time to get a grip, people.

He was just making an observation. No need to get all Alex Jones on him.

• Haha 1

Also I believe all buses are being retrofitted with wifi transmitters as there's a mysterious new device mounted to the roof on all buses above the driver's compartment next to the emergency beacon.

Nice to see the HSR is slowly inching it's way into the 21st century.

Now if only they could act like a normal transit authority and move quit their rear door wheelchair boarding, create an actual half decent transit website, and create proper visible bus stops with actual useful information, then we'd be actually getting somewhere.

18 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

He was just making an observation. No need to get all Alex Jones on him.

Nah, it's just faulting everything including a lot of unrelated stuff on COVID-19 has gotten seriously old.  About the only kind of virus that can be transmitted by wifi would be computer viruses so I wouldn't be worried about COVID-19.  As for the wifi itself, it'd be easier for a system administrator to log in or script batch job all the access points and put them administratively down to kill the service than to physically remove equipment from each and every bus.  Or, if you're me, you set it up to redirect all traffic to a spoof website so no matter what, all they get is a page with scary looking legalese BS and some intimidating looking logos saying that unauthorized use of this service will result in severe penalties up to and including indefinite detention and/or summary execution etc.  Doing that is more fun than "administratively down".  Especially in the workplace.

14 hours ago, lip said:

Nice to see the HSR is slowly inching it's way into the 21st century.

Now if only they could act like a normal transit authority and move quit their rear door wheelchair boarding, create an actual half decent transit website, and create proper visible bus stops with actual useful information, then we'd be actually getting somewhere.

Slowly.  Very slowly.  With the way Hamilton can be so backwards at times, I'm surprised they went with wifi in the first place.  I would've expected maybe a token ring LAN with coax and tee connectors or maybe some twisted pair to make the Hamilton Street Railway absolutely top shelf.  Now you can lug your dumb terminal or teletype machine with you on the bus and stay connected to all the latest!  That's how you travel!  Why, until someone figures out how to install phones in cars, you'll never want to travel any other way!

Of course, if the LRT does somehow get built out of post-pandemic stimulus funds, that would move Hamilton up to where Calgary and Edmonton were approximately 40 years ago, so that would be a step forward, too.  I'm so excited about what's new for 1980!

I think that's enough sarcasm now.  Time for me to go get another cup of coffee.

Maybe everyone should keep in mind that the Wi-Fi was/is still a pilot project? They never made a commitment to roll it out system wide and while the decision to turn it off was probably COVID related, it was probably more of a financial decision since they're running a deficit from all those months where they didn't collect fares. I'm sure paying for the network maintenance and operations is a pretty low priority right now.

Regarding the Grade West buses, I don't think the HSR is running any of them right now due to social distancing requirements but you can find BT's diesel version of them on the 4 Central route at Aldershot GO, the downtown terminal or Appleby GO.

4 hours ago, Wonka said:

Maybe everyone should keep in mind that the Wi-Fi was/is still a pilot project? They never made a commitment to roll it out system wide and while the decision to turn it off was probably COVID related, it was probably more of a financial decision since they're running a deficit from all those months where they didn't collect fares. I'm sure paying for the network maintenance and operations is a pretty low priority right now.

Regarding the Grade West buses, I don't think the HSR is running any of them right now due to social distancing requirements but you can find BT's diesel version of them on the 4 Central route at Aldershot GO, the downtown terminal or Appleby GO.

They are still running the Vicinity buses on route 18, but nowhere else. Even with 2/3 capacity, it's difficult to maintain social distancing on those buses.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Mishap said:

For real?
If so, nice research, Urbanicity.

yeah it's been mentioned a few times on a couple Facebook groups that it's from Barrie. I can't remember the number. A lot of us thought it was a former HSR unit considering Hamilton just got rid of a lot of Flyer's.