Hybrid0920

Hamilton Street Railway

29 minutes ago, lip said:

All valid points, however nothing would stop all of the aforementioned from continuing in operation. Main Street is a stone throw away from Hamilton GO Centre, so even if a new transit terminal were located just north of there, riders could easily connect to the 1, 5, and 10 in order to go eastbound. Heck, King Street isnt even that far from Hamilton GO Centre, and the westbound 1A, 5, and 10 could dip down to meet the new terminal if it was really warranted to capture those connecting passengers. As it currently stands, those buses are already laying over on King Street around James half of the time anyways before continuing westbound, so having buses dip to the new terminal wouldn't add any additional travel time.

The bus bays in the station are not always I'm use, and they could convert the space to be more transit friendly rather than intercity transit. 

Also the street infront of the station could be used to board passengers as well. 

The problem with glass type shelters in Canada is our weather. It might be okay in sunny California but in Hamilton, it's can be raining, snowing and hail at the same time. Not fun waiting in a glass shelter for 40mim. 

It's nice and all to centralise all of the bus routes in downtown Hamilton around a single terminal (or parallel terminals in the case of putting a new one on the north side of the Hamilton GO Centre), rather than the current mishmash of terminals, layover points, and chaotic layout that is available today. However, something gets lost in this discussion - the route network itself. Would it not make more sense, given the existence of both the Mohawk College and Limeridge Mall terminals, to terminate most Mountain services there, and run beefed up (express?) service from downtown to those terminals? So that in theory, the only routes going downtown from the Mountain are the 5A/C (which is a mess in its own right), 20, and one of the routes on the Jolley Cut to Limeridge.

I'm thinking of what Miway did with Renforth station, so as to substantially cut down on mileage to Islington station on everything that isn't the 35 & 109, while still getting riders where they want to go.

• Like 1

On February 5, 2020 at 1:44 PM, smallspy said:

Because $37K is really going to go a long way towards accomplishing that....

Dan

On February 5, 2020 at 6:55 PM, lip said:

Put it in the bank and let it grow some interest😉

But in al seriousness the City of Hamilton has wasted enough money with the glorified bus shelters downtown. They need to come up with plan to build a proper bus terminal for the downtown core. The current half-baked solution they've come up with isnt helping anything.

On February 6, 2020 at 6:49 AM, Bravo Actual said:

Something i've been thinking about since news about the LRT cancellation, is what comes next? Has anyone thought about a potential Trollybus BRT following the planned route of the former LRT project? Certainly would be less money than an LRT job. Still has overhead wires. Done right, it could work well enough along the B line express. 

Just a thought. I'm not an expert so tell me what cons this has. I know the city will never go for it, but still.

$37,000 isn't going to build a terminal for sure.  But, if you're willing to give Doug Ford the benefit of the doubt that he'll keep his promise that the $1 BN LRT budget is still available to the city for other transit projects and look past all his other broken promises including the commitment to built the LRT, funding to build a terminal should be no problem.  None.

What comes next after the costs of the LRT got trumped up to justify cancellation?  No idea.  That committee is meeting behind closed doors, can only update the Hamilton city council in camera so they're all sworn to secrecy about what little is disclosed to them, on an aggressive timetable to have this all wrapped up by the end of the month from what I recall reading.  None of this bodes well.  I have no idea what to expect, other than disappointment.

On 2/8/2020 at 12:16 AM, lip said:

As for the Mississauga City Centre, yes it is a mess of a facility. That's why i said Mississauga has realized that they key to being able to attract more riders to the system is by replacing it.

Well, not replacing it but they are renovating it ----> http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/miway/city-centre-transit-terminal

A little while ago, I was on a HSR bus with 2 drivers on the bus. 1 of them was driving, and the other one was being impatient with the wheelchair ramp at the center door on a rigid bus and ended up breaking the ramp. The bus had to go out of service and had to be sent back to the Mountain Garage to get fixed. I don't remember what the date of this incident was.

Edited by Gabriel Bloom
Corrected a capitalization error.

I was on 0520 yesterday. When deploying the ramp for a customer, it basically just dropped to the ground instead of lowering and then refused to re-stow itself after the driver tried stepping on it for several minutes. Obviously it went out of service there at Barton and Ottawa. I doubt we'll be seeing it in service again.

1 hour ago, Wonka said:

I was on 0520 yesterday. When deploying the ramp for a customer, it basically just dropped to the ground instead of lowering and then refused to re-stow itself after the driver tried stepping on it for several minutes. Obviously it went out of service there at Barton and Ottawa. I doubt we'll be seeing it in service again.

Oh no we will. HSR needs it.

On 3/13/2020 at 5:03 PM, Wonka said:

0520 is out currently on route 41 so it's been fixed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good to hear they were able to fix it, it seemed like it was running fine otherwise for its age.

I don't know if this is old news or not, but yesterday the Nova I was on on the 44 had a new Presto reader. First time I've seen one.

I've noticed that 60 foot buses are being deployed to the Barton route today, I'd imagine to help with social distancing requirements. Probably also helps with the lower levels of service frequency.

21 hours ago, Wonka said:

I've noticed that 60 foot buses are being deployed to the Barton route today, I'd imagine to help with social distancing requirements. Probably also helps with the lower levels of service frequency.

I’ve heard the Barton buses have been packed. Social distancing makes sense as to why they’d run artics. Only one 40-foot on Barton today. 

REMEMBER: SATURDAY service starts March 23rd until further notice.

On 3/27/2020 at 3:00 PM, HelloWorld said:

HSR buses #0701-0709 are currently in storage. The reason for this is unknown at this time.

They were to be used as last resort buses in case they were needed. Bus 520 used to be with them. They just recently put 520 back into service. I’m unsure as to why they put 520 back into service and not one of the 0700’s.

18 hours ago, JRM1000 said:

They were to be used as last resort buses in case they were needed. Bus 520 used to be with them. They just recently put 520 back into service. I’m unsure as to why they put 520 back into service and not one of the 0700’s.

Buses 0701-09 are supposed to be used for service expansion that was scheduled for September as there are no new buses schedules for delivery this year.

However, that was prior to Covid-19 which will have a significant financial impact on transit once things return to normal. I would suspect that it might impact the implementation of year 5 of the 10 year transit service plan. We will have to wait and see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/3/2020 at 2:19 PM, Seashore_518203 said:

Buses 0701-09 are supposed to be used for service expansion that was scheduled for September as there are no new buses schedules for delivery this year.

However, that was prior to Covid-19 which will have a significant financial impact on transit once things return to normal. I would suspect that it might impact the implementation of year 5 of the 10 year transit service plan. We will have to wait and see.

Thank you for the clarification!

Stay safe!

On 2/8/2020 at 1:20 PM, meltingtomato said:

It's nice and all to centralise all of the bus routes in downtown Hamilton around a single terminal (or parallel terminals in the case of putting a new one on the north side of the Hamilton GO Centre), rather than the current mishmash of terminals, layover points, and chaotic layout that is available today. However, something gets lost in this discussion - the route network itself. Would it not make more sense, given the existence of both the Mohawk College and Limeridge Mall terminals, to terminate most Mountain services there, and run beefed up (express?) service from downtown to those terminals? So that in theory, the only routes going downtown from the Mountain are the 5A/C (which is a mess in its own right), 20, and one of the routes on the Jolley Cut to Limeridge.

I'm thinking of what Miway did with Renforth station, so as to substantially cut down on mileage to Islington station on everything that isn't the 35 & 109, while still getting riders where they want to go.

Hi there.  New to the group.  I've said this for years - mountain routes should terminate up the mountain, but back in 1994 when I first pitched it as part of my High school Co-OP placement, I was told that it creates too many transfers.  Not long after that, they started interlining routes like crazy.  My idea was the Upper routes would essentially interline with each other,so an Upper Gage inbound would become an Upper Sherman, and so on. 

Another thing that should be brought back is short turning.  Routes like Barton for example.  I'm out there usually 4 days a week.  Almost no one beyond Parkdale except for morning and evening rush hours (prior to COVID 19).  Why not short turn at Kenilworth and Woodward?    Thoughts?

On 4/19/2020 at 2:18 PM, Hammer Historian11 said:

Hi there.  New to the group.  I've said this for years - mountain routes should terminate up the mountain, but back in 1994 when I first pitched it as part of my High school Co-OP placement, I was told that it creates too many transfers.  Not long after that, they started interlining routes like crazy.  My idea was the Upper routes would essentially interline with each other,so an Upper Gage inbound would become an Upper Sherman, and so on. 

Another thing that should be brought back is short turning.  Routes like Barton for example.  I'm out there usually 4 days a week.  Almost no one beyond Parkdale except for morning and evening rush hours (prior to COVID 19).  Why not short turn at Kenilworth and Woodward?    Thoughts?

But it kinda would create too many transfers. The idea of a mountain terminal with transfers to a single downtown-bound bus is only practical if the number of passengers traveling downtown is a tiny fraction of ridership on the 21 to 27 but that's just not the case. Name any mountain route and your pretty close to a full bus during rush hour on the jolly cut. You would have all these people converge onto a single downtown bus? Not to mention the added travel time for every single passenger heading downtown. Practical for the HSR budget? Maybe. Practical for the HSR riders? I don't think so. 

• Like 3

On 4/19/2020 at 2:18 PM, Hammer Historian11 said:

Years ago, I believe the Barton used to occasionally short turn at Melvin and Talbot, similar to where the old Barton trolley bus used to end the line. I think they stopped doing that because ridership East of Parkdale has picked up a significant amount because of the new GO station at Centennial and some other new stores and destinations in the East end.

7 hours ago, Wonka said:

Years ago, I believe the Barton used to occasionally short turn at Melvin and Talbot, similar to where the old Barton trolley bus used to end the line. I think they stopped doing that because ridership East of Parkdale has picked up a significant amount because of the new GO station at Centennial and some other new stores and destinations in the East end.

Not quite ... the short turns on Barton Street were eliminated in June 1988. The reason for discontinuing short turns was the Director of Transit at the time thought that the short turns were confusing to customers. The Nash/Barton GO stop did not start until September 2009 when GO Transit started their route 12 to Niagara Falls.

Prior to June 1988, the Barton bus had a 4 minute headway from downtown to Melvin and Osborne. Every second bus short turned which created a 8 minute headway between Melvin/Osborne and Bell Manor Loop. With the revised schedule in June 1988, the Barton headway was changed to every 5 minutes. The ridership on the eastern end of the route never justified a headway as frequent as 5 minutes.

Short turns are a good idea, in my opinion. However, with all of the apartment buildings on Melvin, I would not do any short turns prior to Melvin and Woodward. Who knows, maybe they will make a return with Re-Envision.

As for a shuttle from the top of the Jolley Cut to downtown, that idea has been debated for years. Clearly, buses could be saved at certain times of the day if you were to do that. However, it would force a transfer which would be detrimental to ridership. Choice riders especially view a one seat ride as a main reason for taking transit. If it were to a higher form of transportation (LRT, for example), customers do not mind transferring. However, if it is just to another bus, then that would detract some people from taking transit.

• Like 1

Thanks for correcting me. I was fairly certain I had seen some short turns in more recent years but I guess I was mistaken.

I have some pictures that I took a while ago of some of HSR's support vehicles. I will post again with the rest of the pictures due to the 10 MB limit.IMG_0898_Original.thumb.jpeg.03fa60c0075a8aa9c00019c6d6ab4c65.jpegIMG_0899_Original.thumb.jpeg.bda80a9be48bed49e1ec56378dfb9ba7.jpegIMG_0900_Original.thumb.jpeg.b34145bc851a617259980f7b1738072a.jpegIMG_0901_Original.thumb.jpeg.82e9713fc550dedd614915145373db20.jpegIMG_0902_Original.thumb.jpeg.0dbd72ae6f96921a6c65f8b9dbfd6fa2.jpegIMG_0903_Original.thumb.jpeg.1d51dd1a43f8f814f728d8b8d0ed12f6.jpegIMG_0904_Original.thumb.jpeg.c89da8c8f281e60631fd6d58660b33bb.jpeg

Here are more of the pictures that I couldn't add to the previous post. There's one that I can't upload because of the 10 MB limit even though it's file size is 707 KB. It's probably a bug or something wrong with CPTDB Wiki itself. This image is the last image I'm actually able to upload. It can't upload the last 5 images due to CPTDB Wiki acting really stupid.
maxresdefault.thumb.jpeg.19d1bdb02764ebd67a54027d9a816b6f.jpeg

4 of the photos of HSR support vehicles that I have taken were of #500343 (a Jeep car). The model and license plate are unknown. Not much information is known about it.

Something else that I found out recently is that the CPTDB Wiki says bus #0913's status is unknown.

4 hours ago, HelloWorld said:

I have some pictures that I took a while ago of some of HSR's support vehicles. I will post again with the rest of the pictures due to the 10 MB limit.

Here are more of the pictures that I couldn't add to the previous post. There's one that I can't upload because of the 10 MB limit even though it's file size is 707 KB. It's probably a bug or something wrong with CPTDB Wiki itself. This image is the last image I'm actually able to upload. It can't upload the last 5 images due to CPTDB Wiki acting really stupid.

4 of the photos of HSR support vehicles that I have taken were of #500343 (a Jeep car). The model and license plate are unknown. Not much information is known about it.

Something else that I found out recently is that the CPTDB Wiki says bus #0913's status is unknown.

1. The support vehicle in question, 500343 is a Jeep Compass purchased in 2018. I need to update the support vehicle roster but I just haven't had the time.

2. 0913 is listed as having an "unknown" status because I edited it as such due to information I received from a contact at HSR saying the fire it had did not deem it to be a total loss. As to whether that's changed, I'm not too sure. I'll have to check with my contact.

3. When I was driving past the garage on a mask delivery last week, I noticed something on the hill. It is 0601, which has recently been spotted in the maintenance bay for a potential return to service if the September service changes do go ahead as planned. That's also why 0701-0709 are listed as "In Storage".

4. The reason the CPTDB Wiki is prohibiting you from adding photos is because an administrator has to approve you to be an editor. However, saying that it's "acting really stupid" is not helping your case for pending approval. Of course, you could be talking about the forum software that you're erroneously calling the CPTDB Wiki, which is its own entity. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 9:58 AM, Seashore_518203 said:

Bus 0520 has been put back into service to replace 0913 which had a "thermal incident" at the end of November. It has actually been in service for about 2 weeks and was tracking as 0913. This was corrected as of yesterday and it is tracking as 0520.

This is actually the third time that this bus has been brought back from retirement.

On 5/16/2020 at 10:40 PM, Chris W said:

2. 0913 is listed as having an "unknown" status because I edited it as such due to information I received from a contact at HSR saying the fire it had did not deem it to be a total loss. As to whether that's changed, I'm not too sure. I'll have to check with my contact.

As for 0913, it has been retired as per Seashore_518203.