Hamilton Street Railway

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do, as he is a trusted professional in the transit vehicle maintenance field. I agree with him that your post was rather pointless.

Your post is pointless. Then how would you like it if I deleted my account from this website?

I just retired, 30 years service, from MiWay (Feb 28/18).  Now I'm proud to say my son just got hired by HSR.  Starts training on Mar 12.

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, Hamilton said:

In this years (2020) HSR budget.

Renaming the MacNab Terminal $37,000

Replace the existing signage at the MacNab Terminal with signage that reads the "Frank Cooke Transit Terminal".

If it’s not broken don’t fix it.... this is a waste of money.

do you have a link to the rest of the budget.

They should put that money into constructing an actual proper Downtown Bus Terminal, not some glorified long bus platforms with shelters. The MacNab Bus Terminal is by far and away the most embarrassing "terminal" in the GTAH.

1 minute ago, lip said:

They should put that money into constructing an actual proper Downtown Bus Terminal, not some glorified long bus platforms with shelters. The MacNab Bus Terminal is by far and away the most embarrassing "terminal" in the GTAH.

University of Guelph has a pretty bad terminal as well. A 5 minute walk from one platform to the other end.

Apologies for the crappy pictures in advance. Don't know if this is news or not, but 0520 was spotted on the 25/26 today, and Transit55 shows it was in service yesterday as well on the 27/35. I thought that this series of buses was retired for good, unless I'm missing something here.

IMG_4497.jpg

IMG_4499.jpg

• Like 1
10 hours ago, AmanKh said:

Apologies for the crappy pictures in advance. Don't know if this is news or not, but 0520 was spotted on the 25/26 today, and Transit55 shows it was in service yesterday as well on the 27/35. I thought that this series of buses was retired for good, unless I'm missing something here.

IMG_4497.jpg

IMG_4499.jpg

Check the Wiki, If a vehicle is retired then it will date it, 0520 is the last one of its series in service for this particular bus. PS. This is all information that I got from the Wiki. Plus, if you rode on it then chances are it’s not retired. 

12 hours ago, AmanKh said:

Bus 0520 has been put back into service to replace 0913 which had a "thermal incident" at the end of November. It has actually been in service for about 2 weeks and was tracking as 0913. This was corrected as of yesterday and it is tracking as 0520.

This is actually the third time that this bus has been brought back from retirement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
18 hours ago, lip said:

They should put that money into constructing an actual proper Downtown Bus Terminal, not some glorified long bus platforms with shelters.

Because $37K is really going to go a long way towards accomplishing that....

Dan

• Like 2
5 hours ago, smallspy said:

Because $37K is really going to go a long way towards accomplishing that....

Dan

Put it in the bank and let it grow some interest😉

But in al seriousness the City of Hamilton has wasted enough money with the glorified bus shelters downtown. They need to come up with plan to build a proper bus terminal for the downtown core. The current half-baked solution they've come up with isnt helping anything.

Something i've been thinking about since news about the LRT cancellation, is what comes next? Has anyone thought about a potential Trollybus BRT following the planned route of the former LRT project? Certainly would be less money than an LRT job. Still has overhead wires. Done right, it could work well enough along the B line express. 

Just a thought. I'm not an expert so tell me what cons this has. I know the city will never go for it, but still.

13 hours ago, lip said:

But in al seriousness the City of Hamilton has wasted enough money with the glorified bus shelters downtown. They need to come up with plan to build a proper bus terminal for the downtown core. The current half-baked solution they've come up with isnt helping anything.

The current situation is not all that bad. Granted it is not perfect, but it does allow access for all customers to the main commercial centres of downtown Hamilton. I can think of numerous examples in the US of brand new downtown transit terminals that are on the outskirts of downtown and are not convenient at all for customers. Prime real estate downtown is costly and you are unlikely to get a large enough area at a reasonable price to build a transit terminal for all routes.

For example, say that the only good parcel of land is the Good Shepherd Centre at Cannon/Mary (former car dealership). You could build a great terminal there but it would be too far from the main downtown area. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

The current situation is not all that bad. Granted it is not perfect, but it does allow access for all customers to the main commercial centres of downtown Hamilton. I can think of numerous examples in the US of brand new downtown transit terminals that are on the outskirts of downtown and are not convenient at all for customers. Prime real estate downtown is costly and you are unlikely to get a large enough area at a reasonable price to build a transit terminal for all routes.

For example, say that the only good parcel of land is the Good Shepherd Centre at Cannon/Mary (former car dealership). You could build a great terminal there but it would be too far from the main downtown area. 

Any amount of cash that would be used to acquire a large piece of land for a central bus terminal could be partially offset by disposing of surplus land that the current MacNab Terminal sits on. Of course it wouldn't be enough to offset the cost 1:1, but it would provide some relief to the construction costs of a new terminal. Hamitlon has a sea of parking lots in the core that they could choose from (ie: right outside of Hamilton GO Centre on Hunter for starters).

If Hamilton wants to attract new riders to the system, it has to do much better. Brampton realized that and that's a big reason why they constructed the Gateway Terminal (because the solution before was woefully inadequate), Mississauga has realized that with their current City Centre Terminal, etc...

13 hours ago, lip said:

Any amount of cash that would be used to acquire a large piece of land for a central bus terminal could be partially offset by disposing of surplus land that the current MacNab Terminal sits on. Of course it wouldn't be enough to offset the cost 1:1, but it would provide some relief to the construction costs of a new terminal. Hamitlon has a sea of parking lots in the core that they could choose from (ie: right outside of Hamilton GO Centre on Hunter for starters).

Except that the GO Centre - either one of them, frankly - would be further away from downtown than MacNabb is. How would that help things at all?

Or are you complaining because you simply want a pretty terminal where all the buses to go to for photos? Because that's not the point of a terminal.

13 hours ago, lip said:

If Hamilton wants to attract new riders to the system, it has to do much better. Brampton realized that and that's a big reason why they constructed the Gateway Terminal (because the solution before was woefully inadequate), Mississauga has realized that with their current City Centre Terminal, etc...

I hope that's a joke. City Centre Terminal is a complete mess of a facility, and needs a very, very thorough rethink. How is taking 5 minutes to walk from one end of the other for a common transfer of any benefit?

Dan

• Like 1
On 2/5/2020 at 9:58 AM, Seashore_518203 said:

Bus 0520 has been put back into service to replace 0913 which had a "thermal incident" at the end of November. It has actually been in service for about 2 weeks and was tracking as 0913. This was corrected as of yesterday and it is tracking as 0520.

This is actually the third time that this bus has been brought back from retirement.

I hadn’t heard anything on the 0700’s that had been put into storage. Did they end up retiring them?

Why bring back bus 0520 if the 07’s are still being stored?

14 hours ago, smallspy said:

Except that the GO Centre - either one of them, frankly - would be further away from downtown than MacNabb is. How would that help things at all?

Or are you complaining because you simply want a pretty terminal where all the buses to go to for photos? Because that's not the point of a terminal.

I hope that's a joke. City Centre Terminal is a complete mess of a facility, and needs a very, very thorough rethink. How is taking 5 minutes to walk from one end of the other for a common transfer of any benefit?

Dan

Hamilton GO Centre is located in Downtown Hamilton, so locating a terminal around there would actually centralize bus operations to/from the core for the most part. I could care less for having a terminal for photos, it's about having a terminal that can handle a large amount of customers at any given point in time where customers can easily transfer between routes without crossing the street,  and having a proper enclosed shelter one could actually use to walk in a climate controlled area and easily transfer between routes while waiting for a bus. MacNab as currently designed has a piss pour capacity limit and as i said before, its essentially a glorified bus shelter.

As for the Mississauga City Centre, yes it is a mess of a facility. That's why i said Mississauga has realized that they key to being able to attract more riders to the system is by replacing it.

10 hours ago, lip said:

Hamilton GO Centre is located in Downtown Hamilton, so locating a terminal around there would actually centralize bus operations to/from the core for the most part. I could care less for having a terminal for photos, it's about having a terminal that can handle a large amount of customers at any given point in time where customers can easily transfer between routes without crossing the street,  and having a proper enclosed shelter one could actually use to walk in a climate controlled area and easily transfer between routes while waiting for a bus. MacNab as currently designed has a piss pour capacity limit and as i said before, its essentially a glorified bus shelter.

As for the Mississauga City Centre, yes it is a mess of a facility. That's why i said Mississauga has realized that they key to being able to attract more riders to the system is by replacing it.

I would argue that King Street would generally be recognized as the "centre" of the downtown core. At the very least, from a transit perspective King and Main are where the major east-west spine routes of the transit network in the City runs through downtown (routes 1, 5, 10, 51).

Most of the routes using MacNab Terminal come from the Mountain, i.e. south of the downtown core. Turning them at a location south of the "centre" of this core means that passengers would be required to transfer to another route to make it to other parts of the core. It is more efficient and passenger-friendly to run routes at least to the centre of the core, if not past/through it, in order for passengers to make their connections. This is why routes that come from north of King Street loop south of the downtown using Hamilton GO Centre (2, 3) or Hunter Street (4, 7, 8, 9) in order to make connections at all three of King Street, MacNab Terminal, and Hamilton GO Centre.

20 minutes ago, Articulated said:

I would argue that King Street would generally be recognized as the "centre" of the downtown core. At the very least, from a transit perspective King and Main are where the major east-west spine routes of the transit network in the City runs through downtown (routes 1, 5, 10, 51).

Most of the routes using MacNab Terminal come from the Mountain, i.e. south of the downtown core. Turning them at a location south of the "centre" of this core means that passengers would be required to transfer to another route to make it to other parts of the core. It is more efficient and passenger-friendly to run routes at least to the centre of the core, if not past/through it, in order for passengers to make their connections. This is why routes that come from north of King Street loop south of the downtown using Hamilton GO Centre (2, 3) or Hunter Street (4, 7, 8, 9) in order to make connections at all three of King Street, MacNab Terminal, and Hamilton GO Centre.

All valid points, however nothing would stop all of the aforementioned from continuing in operation. Main Street is a stone throw away from Hamilton GO Centre, so even if a new transit terminal were located just north of there, riders could easily connect to the 1, 5, and 10 in order to go eastbound. Heck, King Street isnt even that far from Hamilton GO Centre, and the westbound 1A, 5, and 10 could dip down to meet the new terminal if it was really warranted to capture those connecting passengers. As it currently stands, those buses are already laying over on King Street around James half of the time anyways before continuing westbound, so having buses dip to the new terminal wouldn't add any additional travel time.