Hybrid0920

Hamilton Street Railway

8 hours ago, JRM1000 said:

0510 remains in service. For how long, I am not sure. But, right now, it is still in service 

Still sounds relatively healthy whenever I happen to see it... I may be biased, but I prefer riding it to a Nova.

7 hours ago, JRM1000 said:

0510 remains in service. For how long, I am not sure. But, right now, it is still in service 

I saw it today and noticed that it had cameras installed. That's an interesting development.

7 minutes ago, Chris W said:

I saw it today and noticed that it had cameras installed. That's an interesting development.

It definitely is. I’ll see if I can find out more. 

1 hour ago, JRM1000 said:

It definitely is. I’ll see if I can find out more. 

I heard a rumour that there is a shortage of vehicles come September, that even with the new ones they can’t meet demand. Therefore a few 0500s will be coming back on the road in September. Can anyone confirm or deny? 

7 hours ago, Hybrid0920 said:

I heard a rumour that there is a shortage of vehicles come September, that even with the new ones they can’t meet demand. Therefore a few 0500s will be coming back on the road in September. Can anyone confirm or deny? 

I’ve been informed they’ll probably need 510 for another 6-12 months. 

I’ll see if I can find out more

58 minutes ago, Kit Kat said:

It's not rocket science to find out when a bus "could" be retired.  Look at the commercial inspection sticker on the windshield.   It'll tell you unless HSR does decide to renew it.

The other thing to consider is.....

It *may* be scheduled to last another 12 months. But as the vehicle ages, the chances of it suffering a major component failure of some kind increases, along with the cost of that failure. There may come a point at which a failure simply is deemed to be more costly than the value of keeping the vehicle running, and even though they wanted to keep it running for another year, they will instead retire it.

Dan

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

The other thing to consider is.....

It *may* be scheduled to last another 12 months. But as the vehicle ages, the chances of it suffering a major component failure of some kind increases, along with the cost of that failure. There may come a point at which a failure simply is deemed to be more costly than the value of keeping the vehicle running, and even though they wanted to keep it running for another year, they will instead retire it.

Dan

I agree fully and have seen it happen before. The exact words were “I may need it another 6-12 months”.

Also, as per the rumour of the bus shortage in the fall, I have been told there will not be a bus shortage. 

As in people not all vehicles age the same. Even high milers.

All city departments will keep vehicles way past their life expectancy so they can get rid of maintenance pigs earlier. Police, fire, EMS, public works, they all do it. Fire in the past few years kept a heavy rescue almost 35 years and sold off a heavy rescue after 12 years because it spent more time in the shop then road where as the older rig never came to the shop except for routine maintenance.

HSR is no different. They will have detailed records and know what to keep and what to get rid of in a hurry. And they will not be emotional about. Also as time goes by, they will be lots of part in stock from left over new and salvaged parts to keep them on the road.

So it is not unusual that the HSR has picked a few vehicles that if needed can go way past their life expectancy and not have many problems with them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kit Kat said:

It's not rocket science to find out when a bus "could" be retired.  Look at the commercial inspection sticker on the windshield.   It'll tell you unless HSR does decide to renew it.

The commercial inspection sticker read February 2018, which I believe means it is good until 2019.

On 7/18/2018 at 11:48 AM, Chris W said:

The commercial inspection sticker read February 2018, which I believe means it is good until 2019.

I think those stickers are good until the end of the sixth month from the indicated date.

Does anyone know what the hold up is on the Vicinity buses? I remember on their press release it said delivery will happen in April. When should be expecting them? 

Edit: I also noticed the “rear destination signs” have been slightly changed between the 15/16’s and the 17/18’s. The 17/18’s have an updated smoother look to them, without the border sticking out. 

A03830D6-EAA9-4929-9CED-28EFB77386E8.jpeg

BD51EC64-72C7-41BB-BE56-26C87EB7DFCA.jpeg

On 7/21/2018 at 10:02 PM, Hybrid0920 said:

Does anyone know what the hold up is on the Vicinity buses? I remember on their press release it said delivery will happen in April. When should be expecting them?

I’m not sure of what the hold up was but I’ve been told to expect them mid August.

On 7/21/2018 at 10:02 PM, Hybrid0920 said:

Edit: I also noticed the “rear destination signs” have been slightly changed between the 15/16’s and the 17/18’s. The 17/18’s have an updated smoother look to them, without the border sticking out. 

A03830D6-EAA9-4929-9CED-28EFB77386E8.jpeg

BD51EC64-72C7-41BB-BE56-26C87EB7DFCA.jpeg

They changed from plexiglass to pure glass as well. More durable.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JRM1000 said:

Regarding the Vicinity’s 

I have been told they will be numbered 1841, 1842, 1843, 1844 and 1845.

Interesting numbering scheme.

So the fall news has been posted on the website. The first thing at the top of the page reads:

Fall schedules are being adjusted to reflect the investment in routing as part of the Ten Year Transit Strategy.  Extended service during peak hours and frequency has been added for a positive rider experience. Changes are being made to:

It then goes on to list every route except for the 1 and 2. So I checked the PDF schedules (sept 2 2018) and with the exception of 25/26 every routes weekday schedule looks exactly the same?? Unless they are simply inferring the end of the summer schedule. However the B-line is on there and again, I don't see it.

Highlights were:

5A/C Now all rush hour trips operate to Meadowlands.

20 now operates through mid day plus 20min frequency during rush (up from 30).

25/26 Now have 15min off peak and 12min peak frequency (up from 20 and 15).

44 and 56 interline on weekdays, terminating at Walmart instead of Lakeland loop and giving the 56 30min frequency (up from 45).

14 hours ago, Vekoma said:

It then goes on to list every route except for the 1 and 2. So I checked the PDF schedules (sept 2 2018) and with the exception of 25/26 every routes weekday schedule looks exactly the same?? Unless they are simply inferring the end of the summer schedule. However the B-line is on there and again, I don't see it.

The wording could have been a little better. While it states extended service during peak hours, it does not apply to every route. The route listed have some kind of a schedule change, but not necessarily weekday peak periods. Most of the changes on the routes occurred during Sunday evenings, which is why the route is listed in the change list.

The only weekday peak period schedule changes are on 5, 6, 7, 8, 20, 25, 26, 56. The changes on 6/7/8 are due to one bus being added during the peak periods with more running time allocated on route 6 which should help drivers to keep to schedule better.

On 9/16/2010 at 10:31 AM, Hybrid0920 said:

BUS CRUSHES TEEN - THESPEC

It happened in seconds, but somehow being swept under the bus felt like slow motion. Jillian Hassard said it was the most excruciating pain she had ever experienced.

School had just let out Sept. 8 and, as usual, Mohawk Road was busy and HSR buses were full. Hassard and two friends just managed to squeeze on a bus at West 16th Street when people pushed on, bumping her out the front doors just as they were closing.

The 18-year-old Westmount Secondary School student had one foot trapped in the bus and the rest of her body outside the doors as it started to drive away. Hassard tried to hop along but soon the speed was too great.

“I did one big hop high in the air to propel myself away,” she said.

Hassard landed, doing everything to avoid hitting her head. Her left leg was run over.

The force pulled her stuck leg free. The next set of wheels ran over her left leg again as well as her freed right foot.

She has a broken left femur, a sprained right ankle, puncture wounds and severe road rash.

She lay in shock with her upper body on the curb, her mangled legs on the road.

Her frantic friends on the bus finally got the driver to stop, Hassard said.

The driver has been charged with careless driving. Police said they would not release his name because the ticket is under the Highway Traffic Act and not the Criminal Code. It can come with a $400 to $2,000 fine, up to six months in prison and a licence suspension up to two years, according to the act.

Jillian Hassard describes the incident that broke her leg in a video in the multimedia section.

The city has also launched an internal investigation.

Passengers were standing at the entrance obstructing the driver’s view, said Don Hull, the city’s director of transit.

The HSR’s manual of operations guidelines says a driver should have a clear view before driving, he said.

Results from the internal investigation will not be made public, nor will they be shared with the victim, Hull said. Rather, any findings will be forwarded to the city’s risk management department.

He cannot discuss the driver.

In his more than 30 years with the industry, Hull said he cannot recall another incident like this.

“But there is an issue with respect to overcrowding on some routes,” he said, adding people always want to get on the first bus.

The HSR adds extra buses to busy routes. Often, another bus is moments behind the full one.

“Patience may have avoided (this incident),” Hull said.

Hassard said she remembers her friends rushing off the bus. One called 911 and she called her mom and her boyfriend, who was at football practice and came running over, “like in a movie.”

That’s when she realized it was serious, that it was real, she said.

She’s black and blue. Her road burn is so bad a nurse has to change bandages daily. Her skin was too raw to stitch up her puncture wounds and she has to wear a brace that stretches from hip to ankle.

She will have to wear a brace or cast for at least two months.

Hassard believes if this happened to a smaller student they may not have been strong enough to keep their head out of the way.

“I’m so lucky to be alive,” she said.

While trivial compared with her life, Hassard said the collision also sadly ruined a pair of new shoes—a crime for the fashionista who wants to study fashion.

She is also an athlete who had played soccer since she was four and runs. “I don’t know if I’ll ever play soccer again,” she said.

Doctors will X-ray her leg every week to see if surgery is needed.

Hassard and her family have been in touch with a lawyer. They will need to prove her injuries are worth $30,000 before any civil suit can be considered, she said.

“But it’s not about the money,” Hassard said. “I don’t want anyone else to get hurt.”

This is not the first incident with an HSR bus driver this year.

Clara Langmead, 63, died in February after being struck by an HSR bus at a crosswalk on James Street South. The driver, Doris Baglole, was charged with careless driving.

Another HSR driver, 54-year-old Alan King, is charged with impaired driving after terrified passengers called police on July 28.

During his bail hearing it was revealed he showed up to work intoxicated on May 5 and a supervisor called an addictions program. Despite the fact he spent five weeks in a rehabilitation facility, the incident was never recorded internally.

when did  this incident happen

9 hours ago, HamiltonTransit1710 said:

when did  this incident happen

EDIT: Totally didn't realize that was an 8 year old quote bump. disregard.

"School had just let out on September 8th" so afternoon rush hour, I guess. Although it sounds liken the driver was definitely at fault since they're not supposed to operate the bus if they don't have a clear view of the mirrors (meaning, people were standing ahead of the yellow line), I can completely understand why the driver chose to operate under those conditions. I'd say that really its more the HSR at large and council who are at fault for not implementing enhanced service along a route that is clearly over capacity. Unfortunately this nearly cost this girl her life.

Last Sat they used 1009 on route 99 instead of the Trolley Replicas. Is this a permanent thing now? Did something happened to the Trolley Replicas?