Hamilton Street Railway

11 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

The total order is for 11. Five of which were previously ordered and six with this announcement. Don't forget that the CNG Vicinity buses cost more than their diesel counterparts.

This order should be for 30 total. I do not know the split between 1700s and 1800s yet. Last I heard it was 16/14 but that has not been confirmed. A total of 10 are on the property with both 1700s and 1800s being delivered.

These buses have perimeter seating in the upper level resulting in two less seats. There are only 30 seats in these LFS buses.

I have been told they will be coming with Recaro seats and the A/C modifications already done. As was already said there is a new seating arrangement to replace the seats that faced each other, and the fold down W/C seats will now be more comfortable. 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do, as he is a trusted professional in the transit vehicle maintenance field. I agree with him that your post was rather pointless.

Your post is pointless. Then how would you like it if I deleted my account from this website?

I just retired, 30 years service, from MiWay (Feb 28/18).  Now I'm proud to say my son just got hired by HSR.  Starts training on Mar 12.

Posted Images

On 2018-03-05 at 3:21 PM, TransferCutter said:

I just retired, 30 years service, from MiWay (Feb 28/18).  :D

Now I'm proud to say my son just got hired by HSR.  Starts training on Mar 12.

That’s awesome! Congrats on the long career and congrats to your son as well!

Also, 30 new Nova’s this year. They are already arriving on property. There will be 14 buses for the 1700 series and 16 buses for the 1800 series. They should be in service within the next 6 weeks or so. 

30 is another fairly large order for the HSR, I'm guessing there's gonna be a lot of 06/07 retirements to make room for all the new ones. Really going to need something to take the stress off the MTC soon.

21 minutes ago, Wonka said:

30 is another fairly large order for the HSR, I'm guessing there's gonna be a lot of 06/07 retirements to make room for all the new ones. Really going to need something to take the stress off the MTC soon.

Being told 14 replacements(remaining 04/0500’s) and 16 expansion.

3 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Think I saw one on its way on the 401/Kingston road overpass.

cng with white side desto.

That would be accurate. All of our Nova’s are CNG with white desto’s. 

10 minutes ago, Bravo Actual said:

New to living in Hamilton and been riding HSR alot to get around. Had a question I cant seem to find the answer for, even from the driver. What is with the "brushes" in the front wheel wells of the D40LF's?? 

To mitigate back splashing on the side windows. Sort of like a mud flap..

1 hour ago, captaintrolley said:

To mitigate back splashing on the side windows. Sort of like a mud flap..

Ah got ya. The driver at the time thought they were for preventing snow chunk buildups. Was it a popular option or not really? I only see a handful of the D40's with them. Usually ones with numbers 05XX to 08XX have them from what i've seen.

4 hours ago, JRM1000 said:

Being told 14 replacements(remaining 04/0500’s) and 16 expansion.

That's certainly amazing news considering that I don't think, to my knowledge that there've been too many orders that had buses deemed for expansion in awhile.

Now the other question is, what kind of expansion plans are there given the Transit budget was increased by 10% this year and the 10-year HSR Improvement Program is back in order?

11 hours ago, JRM1000 said:

Could be. I was going based on what I was told by fleet management. 

I also heard a rumour the order was enlarged to 40 buses instead of 30. Maybe 20 x 1700 and 20 x 1800? Maybe Seashore would be able to clarify. I know he mentioned 30, but could numbers have changed since then?

14 hours ago, Hybrid0920 said:

I also heard a rumour the order was enlarged to 40 buses instead of 30. Maybe 20 x 1700 and 20 x 1800? Maybe Seashore would be able to clarify. I know he mentioned 30, but could numbers have changed since then?

I’m still only hearing 30, so I’m unsure. 

The 2018 budget calls for 18 replacement buses this year. It has been approved by the General Issues Committee and is the last vote before it goes to the whole council. Any buses being delivered are from 2016 and 2017 money. Large purchased items by police, fire, public works, transit etc, never get ordered until they are approved by council.

On 16/03/2018 at 10:14 PM, Hybrid0920 said:

The order is only for 30. My initial posting of the split is wrong and it will be 19/11 (1701-1719, 1801-1811). Bus 1719 has not been delivered at this point and will be the last bus to be received in this order. All others are already on the property.

I was waiting on that confirmation from fleet. I’ve also been told the Vicinity’s will be numbered in the 1700’s. 

Any word on how they’re coming along with the installation of the equipment? I had heard 6 weeks or so the first ones should be hitting the road. 

4 hours ago, JRM1000 said:

I was waiting on that confirmation from fleet. I’ve also been told the Vicinity’s will be numbered in the 1700’s. 

Any word on how they’re coming along with the installation of the equipment? I had heard 6 weeks or so the first ones should be hitting the road. 

I have a strong feeling the first batch of 5 will be numbered 1720-1724 and the second batch of 6 be numbered 1820-1825. I’m just speculating here, but it doesn’t seem unreasonable considering the Arbocs being 1020-1024. 

Also, the 1700/1800 buses come with no engine door fan (vent in rear door), the fan has been moved to the driver side. Can be seen on buses 1618-25 ish as well, as they are retrofitted.  (Door vent remains, but fan has been moved)

Also my source told me that the new buses have USB charge ports through out the bus, even the front wheel well with the window seat has one. 

Lastly, interior advertisements can now be placed on both sides of the bus interior. Similar to the recent TTC novas. 

1 hour ago, Hybrid0920 said:

I have a strong feeling the first batch of 5 will be numbered 1720-1724 and the second batch of 6 be numbered 1820-1825. I’m just speculating here, but it doesn’t seem unreasonable considering the Arbocs being 1020-1024. 

Also, the 1700/1800 buses come with no engine door fan (vent in rear door), the fan has been moved to the driver side. Can be seen on buses 1618-25 ish as well, as they are retrofitted.  (Door vent remains, but fan has been moved)

Also my source told me that the new buses have USB charge ports through out the bus, even the front wheel well with the window seat has one. 

Lastly, interior advertisements can now be placed on both sides of the bus interior. Similar to the recent TTC novas. 

They’ll have the A/C retrofit as well and no more facing seats. 

7 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Are there any details on what the HSR plans to do in terms of improving some of their routes based on the 10% increase in the transit budget? Thus far my searches have turned up nothing.

Kind of hope they will increase frequency of buses on the 52 to Dundas in the afternoon. Consistently overcrowded from McMaster to about Governors. 

I have heard that as part of service changes this year the 8 and 18 are being changed. The existing route of the 8 from Jackson square will extend out to the Aldershot GO station and then continue as the 18 but it will only operate on the counterclockwise routing and will be reduced from 20-minute service to 30-minute service. Other changes are apparently going to be year round 51 service and 7 days a week B-line service. Other changes rumored are going to be improvements to schedules in Stoney Creek, and improvements to service through Ancaster and Dundas. All of these improvements are pending the hiring of more drivers of course