Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

14 hours ago, Hybrid0920 said:

Are you talking about the vents on the engine door of the Novas? They were delivered with the vents already. They suck air from outside to the engine for cooling. 

Helps to aid in dissipating natural gas in the event of a leak. Natural gas is lighter than air, and won't come out the bottom of the engine compartment. Also the reason why older high floor buses put their tanks on the roof, even though there was room under the floor for them. Conversely, for propane, the opposite is true. So hypothetically, should a bus be powered with the stuff, the best place for a tank would be under the floor.

addition of the vents certainly won't prevent an explosion should a leak occur, but every little bit helps.

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

Helps to aid in dissipating natural gas in the event of a leak. Natural gas is lighter than air, and won't come out the bottom of the engine compartment. Also the reason why older high floor buses put their tanks on the roof, even though there was room under the floor for them. Conversely, for propane, the opposite is true. So hypothetically, should a bus be powered with the stuff, the best place for a tank would be under the floor.

addition of the vents certainly won't prevent an explosion should a leak occur, but every little bit helps.

Not the case here.

The vent has a fan behind it to keep the engine bay cooler. They are present on diesel buses as well beginning recently.

23 minutes ago, tc2 said:

Not the case here.

The vent has a fan behind it to keep the engine bay cooler. They are present on diesel buses as well beginning recently.

In that case, likely to reduce the exhaust stink entering the passenger compartment. Fan would also aid in dissipating cng fumes even more.

Does it blow in, or out?

I'm skeptical of the extra cooling argument, there are methods with the radiator to fix that, if it's an issue. Like:

lowering the fan set-point

increasing the fan speed (nova has their own proprietary electric fan system, similar to EMP)

mods to the radiator itself would involve the manufacturer, and imply that their R&D was flawed. 

changing the thermostat to a lower setting

However, late production Orion IIs, both diesel and cng, had such a fan.

In that case, likely to reduce the exhaust stink entering the passenger compartment. Fan would also aid in dissipating cng fumes even more.

Does it blow in, or out?

I'm skeptical of the extra cooling argument, there are methods with the radiator to fix that, if it's an issue. Like:

increasing the fan speed (nova has their own proprietary electric fan system, similar to EMP)

mods to the radiator itself would involve the manufacturer, and imply that their R&D was flawed. 

I'm referring to vent holes that are inside on the ad racks facing the rear row of seats to help with air circulation. Whether or not it will help circulation when the HVAC is on remains to be seen.

Does it blow in, or out?

The fan on the rear engine door blows air into the engine.

On 5/4/2017 at 8:28 PM, JRM1000 said:

404, 407, 410 and 411 are the only 04's left in service. 

As I was passing through the waterfront area yesterday on my way home from a holiday trip, I saw 404. 

On 2017-05-19 at 5:32 PM, Seashore_518203 said:

No, let's stop the rumors there. There were reasons but this is a public forum, so I will not comment.

Exactly. I was informed there were reasons as well, however, I was not given the reasons due to it being private information. 

Grande West is out with a press release this morning, announcing HSR has ordered 5 CNG Vicinity buses for 2018 delivery.

"Hamilton Street Railway ("HSR") has ordered five (5) compressed natural gas ("CNG") Vicinity buses. This is a first time order for HSR and will be delivered through our eastern Canadian service and sales partner City View in the first quarter of 2018. The City of Moose Jaw also ordered an additional four (4) Vicinity buses."

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/grande-west-reaches-100-million-order-backlog-623831124.html

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Silly Tilley said:

Grande West is out with a press release this morning, announcing HSR has ordered 5 CNG Vicinity buses for 2018 delivery.

"Hamilton Street Railway ("HSR") has ordered five (5) compressed natural gas ("CNG") Vicinity buses. This is a first time order for HSR and will be delivered through our eastern Canadian service and sales partner City View in the first quarter of 2018. The City of Moose Jaw also ordered an additional four (4) Vicinity buses."

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/grande-west-reaches-100-million-order-backlog-623831124.html

CNG-fueled units should be interesting. With 5 units ordered, will these replace the 2010 Arbocs used on route 18 Waterdown?

4 hours ago, Articulated said:

CNG-fueled units should be interesting. With 5 units ordered, will these replace the 2010 Arbocs used on route 18 Waterdown?

Yes they will. The ARBOCs will be history. Thank god for that.

• Like 1

The few times I've seen the 12 in service in the past year, it has always been using regular 40 foot buses. Still seeing Arboc's on the 18 however. Not sure if that's a reflection of the 12's increased ridership or if the HSR was having problems with the Arboc's.

12 hours ago, Wonka said:

The few times I've seen the 12 in service in the past year, it has always been using regular 40 foot buses. Still seeing Arboc's on the 18 however. Not sure if that's a reflection of the 12's increased ridership or if the HSR was having problems with the Arboc's.

They need three ARBOCs for route 18. The remaining two are used as spare units.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Mishap said:

Reinforcements for the festival crowds, no doubt.  They were running 3 40-footers earlier in the day.

It may have been a reporter getting the 11's back on schedule due to the bridge. 

According to Transit55 that bus was on the 1 all day. 

On 6/10/2017 at 7:48 PM, JRM1000 said:

935 on the 11 around 7:48PM

Given that on that day/night was the ticketed event for the Sound Of Music, not at all surprised of having an artic on the 11, much les all 3 to be 60 foots.

Next weekend I'd believe all 3 buses on the route on Friday, Saturday and Sunday can, and would be artics.

I wonder if the HSR may even look into 11-trippers, maybe unscheduled extras to help out the regular runs?

9 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Given that on that day/night was the ticketed event for the Sound Of Music, not at all surprised of having an artic on the 11, much les all 3 to be 60 foots.

Next weekend I'd believe all 3 buses on the route on Friday, Saturday and Sunday can, and would be artics.

I wonder if the HSR may even look into 11-trippers, maybe unscheduled extras to help out the regular runs?

For sure I would expect them next weekend, as all 3 buses yesterday were 60-footers. HSR wouldn't have trippers. The demand may not be there(I'm not sure, so don't quote me on that) and they have no drivers. At least that's what I was told. 

Don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but sign converstions to the 5A/5C-Delaware have begun, putting the 5A and 5C as the bigger numbers/letters rather than in the smaller font to make things more difficulot to pick up what branch the bus is on a particular route.
Would the same be considered or to be happening for the 1, 5 (rest of its branches), 34, 41 44 (is there a 44A)? and whatever other branches that would be fixed up to be the main numbers/letters in the larger fonts on the signs?

• 2 weeks later...