Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

I'm guessing the 04 and 05's were retired as they went down with service issues. I'd imagine the rest will be kept for as long as possible until the 1700s arrive next year, since the HSR needs every bus on the road that it has to maintain service levels.

As mentioned previously, 9 more Novas are due by the end of the year as an option on this order. It is not known if they will be numbered 1633-41 or 1701-09. They will be replacements only so an additional 9 0400/0500 buses will be retired once they enter service most likely in the new year. At this point, the buses have not arrived.

17 hours ago, Hybrid0920 said:

I spotted 1636 and 1640 being delivered this evening.

It turns out my previous information was slightly incorrect. This optional order is for 11 and they will be numbered 1633-1643. Five buses will be used for expansion so that means only 6 retirements of the 0400/0500 buses. These 11 buses will not enter service until sometime in the new year.

• Like 2

They usually come out 2 to 3 weeks prior.   Does anyone know of any service expansion or changes in the new year?

I rode a Nova today on the 51 and the seats and layout is terrible.  I'm finding the cloth seats on the newer busses are always dirty and people are putting their feet up on the four seater.  The HSR needs go get back to using the Nylon Seats as there were never any issues.  

The least the HSR could do is use the same Nova Layout that Burlington has with the seating plan.

14 hours ago, Darren1984 said:

They usually come out 2 to 3 weeks prior.   Does anyone know of any service expansion or changes in the new year?

I rode a Nova today on the 51 and the seats and layout is terrible.  I'm finding the cloth seats on the newer busses are always dirty and people are putting their feet up on the four seater.  The HSR needs go get back to using the Nylon Seats as there were never any issues.  

The least the HSR could do is use the same Nova Layout that Burlington has with the seating plan.

The only change that I know of is they're revising the first trip on the 33 to leave Scenic Loop at 5:15, like it does in the summer, instead of 5:20. This will make for better connections to GO Transit service downtown.

On 11/27/2016 at 2:44 PM, JRM1000 said:

I've noticed that hardly any Nova's see weekend service. Some weekends none are out at all. Is there a reason for this? 

The drivers and myself as a passenger are complaining about the Novas.  I can't confirm for sure but I think the HSR will cintinue to use the CNG Novas for the weekday rush hour and day runs and have the deseals out on the all day and most of the weekend runs.

6 hours ago, Darren1984 said:

The drivers and myself as a passenger are complaining about the Novas.  I can't confirm for sure but I think the HSR will cintinue to use the CNG Novas for the weekday rush hour and day runs and have the deseals out on the all day and most of the weekend runs.

Great thought but I'm not quite sure that's the reason as the Nova's do make it out on late night runs. I could be wrong though. There are a number of Nova'a out right now that will be out past 1 and 2am

44 minutes ago, JRM1000 said:

Great thought but I'm not quite sure that's the reason as the Nova's do make it out on late night runs. I could be wrong though. There are a number of Nova'a out right now that will be out past 1 and 2am

I wonder if it might be a refuelling issue. What if the CNG refuelers only work Mon-Fri for instance.

On Friday, December 02, 2016 at 9:01 PM, 21c123 said:

I wonder if it might be a refuelling issue. What if the CNG refuelers only work Mon-Fri for instance.

they run the 1400s all the time on weekends, so if its a CNG issue those shouldnt be out but they are.  There is usually at least one 2005 D40LF doing 5s on Sundays.

HSR is adding auto announcements of what route the bus is on. I was on 807 this morning and each time the driver closed the doors it announces "5 52 Pirie at Governor's". I was told it is supposed to announce the destination when the door opens, so there is something wrong with the system.

I have been told there is a new AODA provision coming into effect on January 1st and all buses will have this feature. 

1 hour ago, JRM1000 said:

HSR is adding auto announcements of what route the bus is on. I was on 807 this morning and each time the driver closed the doors it announces "5 52 Pirie at Governor's". I was told it is supposed to announce the destination when the door opens, so there is something wrong with the system.

I have been told there is a new AODA provision coming into effect on January 1st and all buses will have this feature. 

AODA regulates that all transit systems of more than 5 operational vehicles must have next stop announcements, exterior announcments, properly formatted destination signs, and any agency over 26 vehicles must have passenger counters and real time bus information ,

if an agency fails to comply MTO stated that they will cut the agencies gas tax funding,

currently it seems that Burlington and York Region Transit still need to implement exterior announcements, YRT used to have them, don't know when they are coming back.

Durham Region Transit and HSR need to improve these, they currently only include route number,  they are required to include, Route nukber, name, destination and then any other details such as "detour on route"

15 hours ago, JN HSR said:

I noticed this too this morning when I boarded 1224. it said to Bell Manor Loop but I don't recall if it said the route too  I couldn't hear it from the back of the bus though.

Eric Tuck was my driver too. :)

The Novas actually have a speaker embedded in the skirt behind the rear doors. I noticed that as I was waiting for my ride to show up.

15 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Durham Region Transit and HSR need to improve these, they currently only include route number,  they are required to include, Route nukber, name, destination and then any other details such as "detour on route"

We actually do include the route name from what I've heard. 

1 hour ago, JRM1000 said:

Yes, ours announce the route number and name. For example, it will announce "2 Barton to Bell Manor Loop". 

It seems a lot of buses have it when the doors close, as oppose to when they open. 

Of course, how hard can it be?

This is a work in progress. The 1100 and 1200 Xcelsiors have a problem with the electrical ground and as such are reversing the signal sent when the doors open (thus sending it when the doors close). Obviously the software has to have some kind of a signal to know that the doors are opening in order to announce the route and destination. Staff are working on a solution but it involves rewiring one of the circuit boards (and not screwing up anything else in the process). It will eventually be fixed but it will take time.

2 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

Of course, how hard can it be?

This is a work in progress. The 1100 and 1200 Xcelsiors have a problem with the electrical ground and as such are reversing the signal sent when the doors open (thus sending it when the doors close). Obviously the software has to have some kind of a signal to know that the doors are opening in order to announce the route and destination. Staff are working on a solution but it involves rewiring one of the circuit boards (and not screwing up anything else in the process). It will eventually be fixed but it will take time.

I understand that and was informed of the same. I am just saying I've seen more buses with the feature when the doors closed as opposed to when they opened. 

Yep. Seeing as its a Saturday as well, there's not as much of a reason for the artics to be out anyway. Was talking to a driver on the B Line the other day about it and he said he gets terrified when he's assigned an artic in/after a snowstorm. Said there's usually a 50/50 chance of the thing jacknifing on the hill approaching Queen on Main West. Takes some really careful driving to keep the thing under control.

• Like 2