Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

2 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

No, 12 0300 series buses have been brought back and have been in service the past two days. They are used only on school extras.

They will eventually be retired as more and more 1600s enter service. Right now, only 1601-08 are in service.

They kept them around! What numbers are they? Maybe they'll assign one to a regular run by mistake.

6 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

No, 12 0300 series buses have been brought back and have been in service the past two days. They are used only on school extras.

They will eventually be retired as more and more 1600s enter service. Right now, only 1601-08 are in service.

0319 on a school extra eastbound on Rymal Rd turned north on Upper Sherman at 2:45 pm today.

11 hours ago, Darren1984 said:

Doe anybody have a list of 0300's in service? I can also confirm no artics on order, as I have been told they are not looking at artics for another few years, if at all, depending on where things are when the 0600 DE60LFR's come up for replacement.

I highly doubt the HSR is going to be ordering any more artics seeing as the B-Line bus route won't exist past 2024. With space severely limited at the mountain garage, there's probably no room for any extra 60 footers anyway. Once the LRT is up and running and a new garage is constructed, I could see them looking at purchasing some for new mountain express routes, but thats about it.

In Nova news, got 1605 on the Parkdale route to Burlington yesterday and the A/C was about as crappy as the 1500's. Really unpleasant with the humidex into the mid 40's.

20 hours ago, Wonka said:

I highly doubt the HSR is going to be ordering any more artics seeing as the B-Line bus route won't exist past 2024. With space severely limited at the mountain garage, there's probably no room for any extra 60 footers anyway. Once the LRT is up and running and a new garage is constructed, I could see them looking at purchasing some for new mountain express routes, but thats about it.

In Nova news, got 1605 on the Parkdale route to Burlington yesterday and the A/C was about as crappy as the 1500's. Really unpleasant with the humidex into the mid 40's.

It's bad that the 1600's are just as bad as the 1500's A/C wise. Once again, I have been told they are working on a fix, but I was not told when the fix will happen. It sounds like it's not just ours. I don't like when I get a Nova on a route. I think what is happening, and don't quote me on this, is the engine is producing too much heat coupled with the A/C not being strong, and you get the front of the bus feeling like a freezer and the back feeling like a sauna.

On 9/7/2016 at 9:19 PM, Seashore_518203 said:

Yes, I can confirm that the answer is NO ! Don't believe everything you hear.

Metrolinx needs to update their list on what agencies are getting 60 foots, it says that St.Cathrines, Durham, and Hamilton are. Don't know what's going on for Durham in terms of if we are or aren't getting them, Metrolinx and Nova says we are but Durham says we aren't. As for hamilton I'm curious, was it originally in the plans to have artics as part of the consortium?

I think what they mean is those are all the properties that are eligible to get those buses, pending the funding to do so. If money has been allocated to buy the buses, then they can do so since they are on that list to be able to buy them. If there is no funding available to buy the buses, then no order is placed. and i know someone is gonna mention this, about another system picking up buses that whoever didnt get....a property can only get buses that are already on order. If there is no order placed, then there are no buses for that property, or for any other property to pick up from.

19 minutes ago, Darren1984 said:

Are any other 1600 Novas on the property waiting to go into service?  I guess this is fairwell to the 0300's.

Are the 0400's now dedicated to extra service?

There are still 0300's in service. Read up a few pages. There are 1600's still waiting to go into service.

On another note, 0311 is one of the ones of the 12 not listed there. I saw it on the 41 just now 

• Like 1

On December 2, 2007 at 0:23 PM, Seashore_518203 said:

HSR is testing the interior LED's to determine whether or not to install the new interior lights on the next order of new buses. The LED's supposedly have a shelf life of 12 years, which is now the life of a new bus meaning that they theoretically would not have to be replaced. The LED's cost more originally, but last longer and do not have the environmental disposal issues that the compact flourescent tubes have.

The number still has not been finalized, but right now it looks like HSR may be joining the Ontario consortium for 2008. This would obviously mean D40LF buses which could be delivered as early as April 2008. The number that I have heard mentioned most often is 22, which would be 17 replacement and 5 expansion. The number has not been confirmed yet but should be soon.

As for the Federal transit money, no decision has been made yet on additional artics.

Kevin

It's interesting that 0708's demo interior LED's still work perfectly since 2007 but almost every other bus had to have them replaced.

On 10/09/2016 at 6:21 AM, Hybrid0920 said:

So it's 301, 302, 305, 306, 307, 311, 315, 316, 318, 319, 320. I'm not sure of the other one to make 12.

(I believe the last 03 is 0309 but it's unconfirmed)

The 12 0300s that are still in service are 0301, 02, 06, 07, 09, 11, 12, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20.

Buses 0303, 05, 08, 10, 13, 14 were retired previously.

Buses 0304 and 0317 were buses that were still on the road at the end of June but their MTO inspections expired during the summer and they were not renewed. They are the first two of the second retirements of the 0300 series.

• Like 1

What conditions for the 0300's had to be met for them to continue on in service?  I know them and the otber CNG New Flyers were very expensive to maintain which I'm thinking is why they are being replaced so early.    Older busses were kept for so much longer in the past.  

Other than air-conditioners has there been any maintenance issues with the Novas or the 60 foot CNG busses?

On 9/11/2016 at 1:20 PM, 900 Highway 2 said:

Metrolinx needs to update their list on what agencies are getting 60 foots, it says that St.Cathrines, Durham, and Hamilton are. Don't know what's going on for Durham in terms of if we are or aren't getting them, Metrolinx and Nova says we are but Durham says we aren't. As for hamilton I'm curious, was it originally in the plans to have artics as part of the consortium?

I have the link here for further clarification. Yes, something was probably amiss with Metrolinx assuming that they were participating in teh 60 foot procurement whereas in actuality that they're only participating in the 40 foot procurement.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projectsandprograms/tpi/tpi_current.aspx

On 9/14/2016 at 1:35 AM, Darren1984 said:

What conditions for the 0300's had to be met for them to continue on in service?  I know them and the otber CNG New Flyers were very expensive to maintain which I'm thinking is why they are being replaced so early.    Older busses were kept for so much longer in the past.  

Other than air-conditioners has there been any maintenance issues with the Novas or the 60 foot CNG busses?

I think the main problem with keeping any of the buses due to be retired has nothing to do with their condition but more to do with the fact that the HSR just doesn't have the physical space to keep them, as more of the new buses would then become expansion buses. I'd imagine that right now every 1600 series Nova that goes onto the road can only do so once an 0300 or 0400 bus is taken off. Basically every bus that is kept past retirement right now will become an expansion bus, for which there is neither the room nor the money to hire a driver to operate it.