Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

Just a reminder to everybody here that today, Sept. 5, 2015, is the official last day of use of the Mountain Brow bus loop for the 21 UPPER KENILWORTH, with it's final stop scheduled for 1:25AM.

Effective tomorrow, the 21 will be expanded to take passengers out to Heritage Greene, finally connecting Upper Stoney Creek to Downtown directly.

And providing a safer transit option for those who live in Hamilton Mountain North.

=)

It was an oversight by New Flyer. HSR has informed them of this (we noticed it two months ago) and NFI will be giving us sufficient credit. At this point, it will not be replaced.

Fair enough.

There have been many situations, however, where properties have ordered different types of signs for different locations on the vehicles, so it certainly within the realm of possibility that HSR may have ordered their units that way. Which is why I asked the question - I wasn't going to assume that they had ordered the same type of sign for all three locations.

Dan

Not the greatest shot, but I caught it after it was leaving!

It was an oversight by New Flyer. HSR has informed them of this (we noticed it two months ago) and NFI will be giving us sufficient credit. At this point, it will not be replaced.

odd enough, rear sign in orange LED while the front sign in white LED, not the best combination for sure but from passenger's perspective, who cares.........a sign is a sign at the end of the day which is fineeeeeee.

I was going to post "first time ever" but I didn't know if an ICTS mockup ever made it here in the '80s (though I guess if you want to get really technical, that's not really an LRT car either)

Light Rail was used in Hamilton back in the early 1900s with interurban lines running to Brantford, Grimsby and Oakville.

I don't know if this is fairly recent or if it has always been the case and I just haven't noticed, but, I saw a 14xx(I want to say 1421 or 1423) on the TiCats express last night, on Upper Janes. On the driver's side, along the roof at the back of the bus, there is "Powered by natural gas" wording. Anybody notice any others?

Looks like some artics made it onto Barton lastnight. About 8:30pm, I spotted 1436 and a 9xx series artic doing regular routing. Possibly for the Ti-Cats game? Or will this be the regular occurance?

Probably just Ti-Cats Express buses being put onto the Barton for the remainder of the evening. They've done it quite a few times in the past that I've noticed.

Hamilton heads “back to the future” with HSR fleet fueled by natural gas

AM900 CHML | Hamilton News Sara Cain September 29, 2015

The City of Hamilton is taking a look into the past in order to move forward when it comes to fueling the HSR bus fleet.

Union Gas has announced the completion a new compressed natural gas station that will help fuel up to 120 buses.

The move marks a transition by the city from using natural gas for vehicles to diesel in 2004 and now back again.

Hamilton Mayor, Fred Eisenberger says the city is moving back to the future with a reliable choice given the challenge of the escarpment.

“We’re looking at an electrified system down in the lower city but it’s alot more difficult to achieve in the upper city” he said.

Adding that “compressed natural gas gives us that flexibility and ability to actually serve all of the residents in a cost effective and efficient way.”

The City of Hamilton expects to save approximately 40 million dollars with the switch, over the next 20 years.

During that same period, gas emissions are expected to drop by 25 per cent, the equivalent or removing over 18 thousand passenger vehicles from the roadway.

The City plans to replace about 18 buses annually with CNG until 2020.

That's some very interesting news, so CNG will be the future for the HSR from here on out. Definitely wasnt expecting that one and to be honest I think having a mixed fleet of diesel and CNG (even if CNG buses made up 60-70% of the fleet) would work more to their advantage.

That little bite about having an "electrified system" is probably refering to LRT, because there is no way the HSR would be able to operate trolley buses sucessfully. Not in this lifetime, or the next one.

That little bite about having an "electrified system" is probably refering to LRT, because there is no way the HSR would be able to operate trolley buses sucessfully. Not in this lifetime, or the next one.

Actually, I think that is referring to electric buses (not trolley coaches). Council committed to CNG until 2020 but HSR is hoping that the electric bus technology has really advanced by the year 2020. The ultimate goal would be to purchase electric buses (XE40 and similar) after that date but we will have to wait and see how the technology progresses.

• 4 weeks later...

Just doing some research and became curious about something. I notice the Canada Coach Lines was sold of roughly the same time as Gray Coach Lines, likewise the both the trolley coach fleet. Was this a coincidence, or these decisions influenced in some way by Toronto's decisions?