Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

Would they specifically be for the 2-Barton, or other routes?

Given the current weekday and Saturday schedules during the day being at every 7 or 8 minutes, if every bus is an artic, perhaps the frequencies would need to be reduced to every 10 minutes to justify the all-articulated service?

I think that's the thing that would be most likely to happen if a certain route was transformed to have articulated-only service. There's no way the HSR would be able to maintain the current headways while using 60 footers (speaking from a cost perspective). Unless the city is willing to put more money into the service, the HSR would esperience a pretty significant increase in operational costs.

I think that's the thing that would be most likely to happen if a certain route was transformed to have articulated-only service. There's no way the HSR would be able to maintain the current headways while using 60 footers (speaking from a cost perspective). Unless the city is willing to put more money into the service, the HSR would esperience a pretty significant increase in operational costs.

Not necessarily, CNG artics are supposed to be cheaper to run based on the low cost of CNG fuel. I am sure the operating cost might be similar to a diesel 40' bus. When HSR introduced the 900 series along the King/Main/Eastgate corridor in 2009, headway was not reduced (unlike TTC) and capacity went up greatly. I do not know for sure, but the artics are most likely destined for route 2 and I do not believe that there is a headway decreased planned.

Not necessarily, CNG artics are supposed to be cheaper to run based on the low cost of CNG fuel. I am sure the operating cost might be similar to a diesel 40' bus. When HSR introduced the 900 series along the King/Main/Eastgate corridor in 2009, headway was not reduced (unlike TTC) and capacity went up greatly. I do not know for sure, but the artics are most likely destined for route 2 and I do not believe that there is a headway decreased planned.

I thought they might end up on the 25/26 which uses artics on the week-end.

Effective Thursday, 1A and 10 buses will no longer use the McMaster Children's Hospital loop, and will instead use local streets for turnaround. Come the summer, plans are in place to extend the routes to University Plaza to address the service deficiency between McMaster and Dundas.

http://m.thespec.com/news-story/4491035-hospital-city-reach-compromise-on-bus-loop-issue/

http://www.hamiltontransit.ca/

Information on route changes for both Route 7 - Locke and Route 8 - York, effective June 22nd.

Opinion: Given these changes, should the route names be changed, too?

Route 7 Locke wouldn't be on Locke Street at all. Route 8 could have a better name like, "York/Locke."

Edited by newflyerinvero

http://www.hamiltontransit.ca/

Information on route changes for both Route 7 - Locke and Route 8 - York, effective June 22nd.

Opinion: Given these changes, should the route names be changed, too?

Route 7 Locke wouldn't be on Locke Street at all. Route 8 could have a better name like, "York/Locke."

From what I can see, the 7 Locke still retains the same routing that it had on Locke Street. The only difference is that it's going to loop via Chatham, Dundurn and Charlton instead of Hillcrest Loop. The service on Dundurn South of Charlton will be served by the new 8 York routing, which will run nearly the entire length of Dundurn from Head Street to the escarpment.

If anything the name of the 8 York might need to be revised to 8 York-Dundurn or something like that.

I just thought of this now.

With the 1A-King and 10 (no longer to be 10A (?) B-Line Express that will be serving University Plaza next month, would there be a need for a bus or two to fulfill the same headways?

For the 1A-King, I understand the headways are every 12 minutes and there's a layover of about that same time before heading in the easterly direction towards Eastgate Square. Given that it seems like the extended routing to University Plaza that would eliminate the layover of the 12 minutes, would that eliminate the need for the additional bus needed? Or, would there be a layover there and another bus is required?

• 2 weeks later...

Bus 1201 has been equipped with a White LED Luminator Titan destination sign as a test. If successful, the HSR will specify this type of sign on future equipment purchases. The white LEDs are far more visible than the orange LEDs on the current signs. The LEDs are also smaller, therefore there are more height wise and width wise than current signs. This allows the font to be more crisper than the current signs.

Bus 1201 is on route 44-Rymal this afternoon. The arrival times at Eastgate Square are: 2:27 PM, 4:57 PM, 7:01 PM and 9:03 PM should you wish to see the new sign.

Bus 1201 has been equipped with a White LED Luminator Titan destination sign as a test. If successful, the HSR will specify this type of sign on future equipment purchases. The white LEDs are far more visible than the orange LEDs on the current signs. The LEDs are also smaller, therefore there are more height wise and width wise than current signs. This allows the font to be more crisper than the current signs.

How do they look during the day time? I wouldnt argue that they are more visible at night, but if its bright and sunny during the day I wonder if people will have trouble seeing the destination signs.

HSR's trip planner has been updated with a real time map of where your bus is http://www.busweb.hamilton.ca:8008/hiwire?.a=iRealTimeDisplay

It seems pretty accurate, I live right on Upper Wellington and the indicator was a little ahead (showed the bus passing my house about a minute before it actually did). If you click on the marker it will tell you the bus number too.

Awesome. I hope the gps information is/will become available to the public so that mobile app designers can take advantage of it as well. I was hoping to see these kinds of things way back when they first started installing the equipment on the buses. All we need now is some more electronic displays installed at the various terminals across the city.

• 2 weeks later...

From another forum

Hamilton jumps on natural gas buses

Hamilton politicians agreed to spend $15 million for 18 natural compressed gas buses to replace aging diesel vehicles, plus replace a natural gas compressor at the Mountain Transit Centre.

60-foot natural gas vehicles,

Hull said the plan next year is to purchase another 17 natural gas, 40-foot buses in 2015 to update its fleet.

A 40-foot bus accommodates about 75 riders, while a 60-foot vehicle can squeeze in about 100 people. Hull said those articulated buses will be deployed on heavily traffic routes including Barton Street and King and Main streets.

http://www.hamiltonnews.com/news/ham...ral-gas-buses/

A 40-foot bus accommodates about 75 riders, while a 60-foot vehicle can squeeze in about 100 people.

Wow...they are literally trying the pack passengers into the buses as sardines. I dont know what the HSR's loading standards are, but I hope it isnt 75 riders/40 foot bus. But then again I wouldnt be surprised with everything that I see first hand.

Transit access training for disabled riders saves city cash
Supporters pushing to make pilot project a permanent fixture
By Saira Peesker
A program to teach adults with intellectual disabilities to ride the HSR has diverted 151 people from the much more expensive DARTS transit service.
It has also saved the city an estimated $1,558 per participant per year in specialized transit costs.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4553631-transit-access-program-for-people-with-disabilities-saving-city-cash/

Has anyone else noticed besides myself when you click on the 6, 7 or 8 for the Summer transit services, the schedules listed are effective, "December 29th, 2013" and not, "June 22nd, 2014?" :P

I think the changes for the 1 and 10 along Main West to University Plaza is going to establish rapid transit along the Main/King/Eastgate corridor. I mean, the planned LRT would be from Eastgate, but the western terminous would be at McMaster.
Given the changes for the 1A and 10 no longer serving the McMaster loop there, would the LRT not terminate there, for the same reasons why the 1A and 10 are being forced out?

Lastly, which of the 2002/03 C40LFs would be retired upon arrival of the Xn60's?

Given the changes for the 1A and 10 no longer serving the McMaster loop there, would the LRT not terminate there, for the same reasons why the 1A and 10 are being forced out?

The HSR was booted from McMaster Medical Centre because of the diesel fumes that was causing damage to the building, as well as spreading pollutants around the hospital. The LRT (if ever built) would not terminate inside the hospital entrance (if you have ever seen the entrance you will know why). It would most likely do some kind of loop, or the road network around the hospital would have to be modified significantly.

Continuing on Nick's question.. When are the XN60's set for arrival? I remember an article not that long ago saying there wouldn't be any buses for 2014. So I'm assuming these will arrive in 2015 sometime?

It will be 2nd quarter 2015 at the earliest. It could be even later than that.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a genuine question here. Why is it that the HSR keeps changing the appearance of the destination signs? 2 years ago it was relatively simple to make out a route and its destination, but now they keep tinkering with the fonts, the size of the font, destinations, etc.. Now its getting tough to even make out what the name of a route actually is. Does anyone know how long they're going to keep this up for?

I have a genuine question here. Why is it that the HSR keeps changing the appearance of the destination signs? 2 years ago it was relatively simple to make out a route and its destination, but now they keep tinkering with the fonts, the size of the font, destinations, etc.. Now its getting tough to even make out what the name of a route actually is. Does anyone know how long they're going to keep this up for?

They did that so that the destination by-line could be more visible. People were getting confused and boarding the wrong bus by mistake. I will say though, the XD40 that has the white LED sign is very easy to read from at least a mile away. They installed the white LED sign on the side now.

They've done that pretty much as long as I've lived here (10 years). It's all passenger-driven by complaints and suggestions. Also agreed on the white LED sign, it's incredibly easy to see.

The white LED's arent bad at all so I have no complaints there. It just seems as though that the HSR feels like there's the need to do something completely different then every other TA in Ontario with certain things (the destination signs are just one example).