Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

0603 had a serious case of "low riding" today (the entire rear of the bus had low suspension while the front was at normal height). Im surprised it wasnt pulled from service.

And on another note, nice picture JN. Glad to the HSR finally got something up and running properly for once.

A couple of things today from items which will be presented at the February 13th General Issues Committee:

2014 Transit Service Enhancement Proposal

Don Hull and the public works team will present their proposed 2014 Transit Service Enhancements to the General Issues Committee on February 13th. The proposal recommends service enhancements to two east-west mountain bus routes (43 STONE CHURCH and 44 RYMAL) as well as increasing the area of service on the HSR’s north-south express route, route 20 A-LINE EXPRESS.

http://www.hamiltont...ement-proposal/

No Service Increase Planned for 56 CENTENNIAL

The HSR will be bringing an information report to the General Issues Committee on February 13th with a report on the status of east end route 56 CENTENNIAL. With ridership declines between 2012 and 2013 the report states there are no plans in increase service to route 56 CENTENNIAL for 2014. The HSR will however monitor ridership trends through 2014 with new commercial developments in the area. If ridership increases, the frequency could be increased with daily service from 6:30am until 11:30pm.

http://www.hamiltont...-56-centennial/

A third information report is listed speaking about the potential extension of 22 UPPER OTTAWA into the Red Hill Employment District, which will require an on property bus loop at Maple Leaf. Not a lot in the report aside from fact and figures on the cost.

A couple of things today from items which will be presented at the February 13th General Issues Committee:

2014 Transit Service Enhancement Proposal

Don Hull and the public works team will present their proposed 2014 Transit Service Enhancements to the General Issues Committee on February 13th. The proposal recommends service enhancements to two east-west mountain bus routes (43 STONE CHURCH and 44 RYMAL) as well as increasing the area of service on the HSR’s north-south express route, route 20 A-LINE EXPRESS.

http://www.hamiltont...ement-proposal/

No Service Increase Planned for 56 CENTENNIAL

The HSR will be bringing an information report to the General Issues Committee on February 13th with a report on the status of east end route 56 CENTENNIAL. With ridership declines between 2012 and 2013 the report states there are no plans in increase service to route 56 CENTENNIAL for 2014. The HSR will however monitor ridership trends through 2014 with new commercial developments in the area. If ridership increases, the frequency could be increased with daily service from 6:30am until 11:30pm.

http://www.hamiltont...-56-centennial/

A third information report is listed speaking about the potential extension of 22 UPPER OTTAWA into the Red Hill Employment District, which will require an on property bus loop at Maple Leaf. Not a lot in the report aside from fact and figures on the cost.

Isn't the Red Hill Employment District the same area as the Heritage Green Power Centre? IIRC, I remember another report suggesting the 21 being extended to serve the Heritage Green area as well as a proposal for the 4 to serve Eastgate Square. Are those proposals still active or, were they shot down when they were brought forward?

XD40 1203 got into an accident at Barton and Ottawa yesterday. Kind of looked like the car went around the bus to make a right turn onto Southbound Ottawa while the bus left the stop. Damage should be restricted to the driver's side front corner of the bus, probably pretty minor.

XD40 1203 got into an accident at Barton and Ottawa yesterday. Kind of looked like the car went around the bus to make a right turn onto Southbound Ottawa while the bus left the stop. Damage should be restricted to the driver's side front corner of the bus, probably pretty minor.

With the automatic 4-ways tied to the doors of the XD buses, any vehicle trying to go around the bus would not be able to tell the difference when the bus begins to "signal out" from the stop. Maybe it's time to investigate a unique signal for open doors on city buses.

With the automatic 4-ways tied to the doors of the XD buses, any vehicle trying to go around the bus would not be able to tell the difference when the bus begins to "signal out" from the stop. Maybe it's time to investigate a unique signal for open doors on city buses.

Agreed, I always thought this was a foolish mechanism to begin with. It should be a simple signal in for stopping at a stop, and signal out away from the stop.

Agreed, I always thought this was a foolish mechanism to begin with. It should be a simple signal in for stopping at a stop, and signal out away from the stop.

And 4-ways when the bus is actually staying there for an extended period (wheelchair loading, washroom break, etc.).

In Calgary, we have an issue with our last batch of 20 Nova LFS buses for that. If you kneel the bus, the 4-ways on 7th Ave where the CTrain also runs. We were trained not to use the 4-ways whenever we were on 7th Ave, so that it would not confuse the CTrain operators. Now 8181-8200 have this feature when we kneel the bus or put the ramp out, the 4-ways would activate automatically.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I don't know why I didn't think to look there.

The date of May 18th seems to make sense with that being a Monday, which seems a likely date for service to start. Moreso than on Thursday, May 21st. I may have to make a trip back to the Local History & Archives tomorrow and take a dive into it there as well.

I guess based on the transit guides varying dates they just weren't 100% sure. Not that anyone aside from the people who post here (myself included) would be really interested in a detail like that though. :) Thanks again!

Random question (and I'm not sure if I've asked this before) but does anyone know where I could find HSR transit maps prior to 1989? Does perhaps the HSR have an archive with previous maps? I've never been able to find anything online and the only one that the Hamilton Public Library Local History & Archives seems to have is the 2003/2004 map, which I already have. :)

If you haven't yet, try the Lloyd Reed Map room at Mills Library at McMaster. I remember them having transit maps bak to the 1970s. Earlier than that, try my site. http://hamiltontransithistory.alotspace.com/docs.html

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know the City of Hamilton / HSR's policy on convenience stores selling bus tickets for inflated prices? I.e. I've been hearing from people of stores selling single bus tickets for up to $2.50 (instead of the $2.00 they really cost) and being charged from 25-50 cents more for a strip of bus tickets. When questioned some people are being told that "prices have gone up," which of course is a load of nonsense.

Seems too that the stores doing this aren't on the HSR's list of ticket vendors so they're likely buying them from other 'real' vendors and then marking them up for a profit.

As far as I know tickets are supposed to be sold at face value and aren't allowed to be marked up. Does anyone know for sure?

Does anyone know the City of Hamilton / HSR's policy on convenience stores selling bus tickets for inflated prices?

This practice is strictly not allowed, but unfortunately somewhat common. When HSR gets information that a supplier is doing that, usually a "test" shopper is sent to the store to buy tickets. If a store is found to be selling tickets for an inflated price, they are immediately taken off the suppliers list. An e-mail should be sent to the customer service e-mail address with the details so that they can be followed up on.

Does anyone know the City of Hamilton / HSR's policy on convenience stores selling bus tickets for inflated prices?

One other thought on this issue ... it may not always be the store owner that is responsible for the inflated prices. Most store owners are honest business men/woman. In the majority of the cases, it is actually the employee, working for minimum wage, who takes it upon themselves to try to make some extra money.

The practice is not allowed but sometimes it is tough to determine where to place the blame.