Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

I'd like to see more service along mt,albion, rather than more down quigley, or at least more along from greenhill/albright/quigley/king/nash/queenston/eastgate.

The low income areas along mt,albion need a better alternative, than the bloody awful trip it currently takes to get to limeridge mall or ancestor areas or anywhere west of the 11 route, I have friends that live on the 11, its a sack of crap at best, it takes my friend Donna & her 2 kids (one in a wheelchair), 2 hours to get to limeridge..

forget about even travelling anywhere on sundays or at night, its just not safe.

I don't understand, do none of your friends know what schedules are? Every time you tell a story of them and their non planned adventures on the bus you make it sound like it's the worst case scenario. From Mount Albion to Paramount is 10 minutes on the 11 and another 25 minutes roughly to Lime Ridge on the 43. Even if you factor them missing a Stone Church bus it still only takes an hour. You don't even live in this province anymore, stop whining about stuff that doesn't affect you, it's getting old.

And can you explain how traveling on evenings or Sundays isn't safe? I'm sure everyone would like to hear why....

I don't understand, do none of your friends know what schedules are? Every time you tell a story of them and their non planned adventures on the bus you make it sound like it's the worst case scenario. From Mount Albion to Paramount is 10 minutes on the 11 and another 25 minutes roughly to Lime Ridge on the 43. Even if you factor them missing a Stone Church bus it still only takes an hour. You don't even live in this province anymore, stop whining about stuff that doesn't affect you, it's getting old.

And can you explain how traveling on evenings or Sundays isn't safe? I'm sure everyone would like to hear why....

Doesnt affect me? Really?

MY FAMILY live there 902, my FRIENDS live there 902, I GREW UP there 902..

btw, if you think its so safe, then YOU blindfold yourself, become a disabled woman, become a person in a wheelchair, THEN make your comments, wait at the parkdale stop at king or queenston late at night or on a sunday night, when there's very little transit..

whining? thats YOUR perception, your blantant hatred of me makes me laugh..

I'm sorry if you take it as whining, just cause you cant stand me.. Take your blantant hatred & shove it somewhere useful, it dont work on me..

I'm only out of province due to a situation, that you could never comprehend..

Hamilton happens to be MY hometown, I AM concerned..

My friend Tracey, has to be at work near Limeridge mall for 8:45am, Mon-Thurs, she has to leave her place by 6:45am, to catch the bus @ 7am.. BUT often due to traffic & route issues, her 7:45 parkdale bus is late & misses the 43 by a few minutes, making her have to wait for the next bus, therefore she needs to take the earlier bus just to be on time for work, it will get her there 40 minutes early for work, but as her daughter goes to the highschool nearby, shes usually ok with this..

, She finishes at 7pm on Weekdays, she invaribly tries to get off early so she can catch the 7:24pm 43, but this happening is very rare.. So her route is 41/1 or 5E/11, taking the 7:46, 41 via Ottawa, it gets to main at 8:05, shes runs into 711 for a coffee, then gets either the 8:08 or 8:15 1 King, then she gets the 8:28, 11 @parkdale, shes arrives home for 8:45pm

Sundays she has to be at work by 11am, & is done at 11pm..

She takes the 9:32, 11, it gets to VPL usually 5-6 minutes late its supposed to be there for 10:13, so then she misses the 10:13, 43, so she instead takes the 9:32, which will get her to VPL @ 9:44, then she takes the 10:13, 43 to Limeridge, making it on time for work..

Coming home she has to do a different routing as she misses the last 43 for sunday nights.

she takes the 11:15, 41 via Ottawa, then takes the 11:32, 1 King to parkdale, then takes the 11:38p, 11, (if she misses it, she has to take the 12:25am =, 11), getting home around 12am or if she has to take the last one, 12:45am..

Tracey has 2 Daughters, 1 is in a wheelchair & is legally blind ( 1 currently goes to W Ross Macdonald School for the Blind in Brantford), the girls are 12 & 15..

Tracey is also a single mom, making it even more intresting.

So as you can see, its a rough ride sometimes, I had meant to say, "up to a 2 hour ride" As if her shifts change & she's put on afternoons or overnights, it is almost a 2 hour ride home..

I'd like to see better times connections both ways at VPL, between the 43 & 11, but it is hard, as the 11 is nearly always late northbound, ( I have friends that drive that route a lot)..

I also would love to see the layover at LRM a few minutes, instead of only scheduling 1 minute at most times..

902, I have many friends in Hamilton, that ask me about the schedules everyday, & have had me teach them how to read the schedules that I am very well up to date on the happenings in Hamilton, also the section on the website for Visually impaired/blind customers was developed by people that I worked closely with before I moved here to the HRM, I am hopefully going to be coming home in 1-3 yrs..

I also am fully trained as a O&M teacher for the blind, as well as an accessibility advocate, for both people in wheelchairs & those who are Blind or legally blind, thats partly why I came here to the east coast, was to finish my degree..

Doesnt affect me? Really?

MY FAMILY live there 902, my FRIENDS live there 902, I GREW UP there 902..

btw, if you think its so safe, then YOU blindfold yourself, become a disabled woman, become a person in a wheelchair, THEN make your comments, wait at the parkdale stop at king or queenston late at night or on a sunday night, when there's very little transit..

whining? thats YOUR perception, your blantant hatred of me makes me laugh..

I'm sorry if you take it as whining, just cause you cant stand me.. Take your blantant hatred & shove it somewhere useful, it dont work on me..

I'm only out of province due to a situation, that you could never comprehend..

Hamilton happens to be MY hometown, I AM concerned..

Your family and friends live here but you no longer do, therefore it does not directly affect you.

I do think Hamilton is safe, I've lived in the east end my entire life. In fact I went to Sir Winston Churchill for high school which is around the corner from Queenston and Parkdale. I'm not saying problems never happened but if your not looking for trouble it doesn't usually find you.

I never once said I have blantant hatred towards you, don't put words in my mouth.

Tracey has 2 Daughters, 1 is in a wheelchair & is legally blind ( 1 currently goes to W Ross Macdonald School for the Blind in Brantford), the girls are 12 & 15..

Tracey is also a single mom, making it even more intresting.

So as you can see, its a rough ride sometimes, I had meant to say, "up to a 2 hour ride" As if her shifts change & she's put on afternoons or overnights, it is almost a 2 hour ride home..

I'd like to see better times connections both ways at VPL, between the 43 & 11, but it is hard, as the 11 is nearly always late northbound, ( I have friends that drive that route a lot)..

I also would love to see the layover at LRM a few minutes, instead of only scheduling 1 minute at most times..

I'm not saying it isn't always a challenge as the 11 has many factors along the route that can affect the schedule, like the lift bridge or the RR crossing on Parkdale. But I don't count the getting to the destination 40 minutes early part of the trip time, that's misleading. It's unfortunate that she has to plan it that way but there's not a lot that can be done. Maybe the route should be split so the local service isn't affected by the bridge.

I liked the layover at Valley Park better then Burlington too, it's too bad that changed. I know why it was changed but I wont say it on here.

• 3 weeks later...

Your family and friends live here but you no longer do, therefore it does not directly affect you.

I do think Hamilton is safe, I've lived in the east end my entire life. In fact I went to Sir Winston Churchill for high school which is around the corner from Queenston and Parkdale. I'm not saying problems never happened but if your not looking for trouble it doesn't usually find you.

I never once said I have blantant hatred towards you, don't put words in my mouth.

I'm not saying it isn't always a challenge as the 11 has many factors along the route that can affect the schedule, like the lift bridge or the RR crossing on Parkdale. But I don't count the getting to the destination 40 minutes early part of the trip time, that's misleading. It's unfortunate that she has to plan it that way but there's not a lot that can be done. Maybe the route should be split so the local service isn't affected by the bridge.

I liked the layover at Valley Park better then Burlington too, it's too bad that changed. I know why it was changed but I wont say it on here.

A lot of my driver friends used to complain bitterly about the Burlington layovers, still do infact, especially the ones that are late at night..

I'm moving back to the hammer as fast as we can afford it..

Could be as early as October..

Route 99-Waterfront Shuttle will have expanded service this weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) due to the Tall Ships Festival at Pier VIII. Service will start 1 hour earlier than normal (9 AM) and finish three hours later than normal (12 midnight). As well, the service will be increased to every 15 minutes and will use articulated buses due to the large crowds expected at the Festival.

There will also be a parking lot shuttle in the area (Bayfront Park, Eastwood Park, Strachan Street, etc.) which will utilize one of the replica trolley buses.

Artic 926 has received its third set of interior LED lights. They are the identical lights found in the 0800 and 0900 buses.

Seems as if the second sets of LEDs are failing as well..

Does anyone know if the lights are under warranty or is this costing the HSR?

D40LF 0802 was seen as an extra bus on the 11-Parkdale this afternoon, helping out a very late bus in 0318. Two other XD40s were out. 0318 had to short turn around Queenston Road at about 3:45pm. 0318 was supposed to have been the 2:30pm departure from Burlington Terminal but arrived at around 3:10pm. 0802, being the 3pm scheduled departure, went through the terminal OOS, then started picking up passengers. According to the driver of 0318, she said that the driver of 0802 was helping her for about 1 and a half trips on the 11 and her bus was late when she had taken over from another driver.

Are C40LF's supposed to be out on Saturdays?

0210 was on 2-Barton while 0205 and 0208 were on 21 and 35 respectively.

A few other C40LFs were on Barton, too.

Edited by newflyerinvero

Trans-Cab Coming to Binbrook

The community of Binbrook will soon be getting local transit … sort of. At a recent community meeting on June 25th it was announced, after a lengthy survey process in which nearly 1,000 surveys were completed, that Binbrook will receive Trans-Cab service on a trial basis.

Trans-Cab is a shared-ride taxi service between the Hamilton Street Railway and a local taxi provider. This service is already offered in portions of Glanbrook and Stoney Creek. Glanbrook Trans-Cab is offered by the HSR and Hamilton Cab in the urban portions of Glanbrook as an extension of HSR’s route 27 UPPER JAMES and route 35 COLLEGE. Stoney Creek Trans-Cab is offered by the HSR and Hamilton Cab in selected outlying areas of lower Stoney Creek.

Hamilton ward 11 Councillor Brenda Johnson welcomed residents to the Transit portion of the meeting and outlined the results of the door to door Transit Survey that was taken last summer.

Currently there are approximately 2,400 households within the Binbrook Village. 995 Transit Surveys were completed (41% of the households). Of the surveys completed, and of those who said they would use transit if available, 360 preferred Trans-Cab and 352 preferred shuttle.

As a result of this data HSR Transit Staff recommended a pilot “Trans-Cab” project for the Village of Binbrook at no cost to the residents (during the pilot project). The pilot will run for 6 months beginning in the fall. At the end of the pilot if there isn’t sufficient users for transit/Trans-Cab, the service will be cancelled. However, if the service is being used enough, then residents would be contacted again with real time costs associated with continuing with the Trans-Cab service.

The hours of service for Trans-Cab will be Monday to Friday from 6am to 10pm.

A final decision for permanent service will be made pending those results.

The Trans-Cab will take passengers from their home in Binbrook to to Rymal Road and Terry Berry Lane (just west of Wal-Mart) where passengers can transfer to 44 RYMAL service. For trips into Binbrook the passenger should inform the driver of the 44 RYMAL bus that a Trans-Cab transfer is needed.

Passengers can pay for their fare on board the HSR bus with either cash, ticket, pass or PRESTO and then add another 50 cents for Trans-Cab. The driver will then give the passenger a special Trans-Cab transfer. Tickets will be needed when using the service out of Binbrook.

What do you think? Do you live in Binbrook? Are you excited to finally be getting transit service in your community? Check out the following link to Councillor Brenda Johnson’s posting about the service.

- http://www.hamiltont...ng-to-binbrook/

Bus 1101 has been equipped with an operator shield. It is the test unit to determine if other buses should receive the same modification. This is becoming somewhat common in the industry. TTC has most of their buses equipped with shields so I would expect it to continue in Hamilton.

Are C40LF's supposed to be out on Saturdays?

0210 was on 2-Barton while 0205 and 0208 were on 21 and 35 respectively.

A few other C40LFs were on Barton, too.

From what I saw, C40LF's were out all weekend. There was an 03xx on the 21 on Saturday, an unknown C40LF on either the 33 or the 34 yesterday(spotted on Fennell, I was too far to get a #) and, right now, both 0305 and 0312 are on the 35. Could be whatever was first on the line, could be that they're running up the km's, who knows.

From what I saw, C40LF's were out all weekend. There was an 03xx on the 21 on Saturday, an unknown C40LF on either the 33 or the 34 yesterday(spotted on Fennell, I was too far to get a #) and, right now, both 0305 and 0312 are on the 35. Could be whatever was first on the line, could be that they're running up the km's, who knows.

The 2002 units are the next ones to be retired. They hit that magic 12-year mark next year. Maybe this is making sure they have been "fully utilised" before they are replaced.

The 2002 units are the next ones to be retired. They hit that magic 12-year mark next year. Maybe this is making sure they have been "fully utilised" before they are replaced.

Actually, it is the price of CNG which is keeping them in service more. With CNG so low, the operating cost is far below that of diesel. Normally, the oldest buses are parked during the summer but this summer the C40LF buses will see service weekdays (plus some on weekends) while the older diesels (04, 05, 07) are rotated in the rows in the garage, but not parked.

I kinda had a feeling there were more CNG buses out in the last month or two. Looks like it wasn't based on nothing.

Also a bit surprised by the decision to install driver shields. It doesn't seem that driver assault is nearly as common in Hamilton as it is in Toronto, but I guess not every incident gets reported in the media. I did witness a case of verbal assault that almost got physical on the Parkdale bus at Queenston a few weeks ago...

• 2 weeks later...

I kinda had a feeling there were more CNG buses out in the last month or two. Looks like it wasn't based on nothing.

Also a bit surprised by the decision to install driver shields. It doesn't seem that driver assault is nearly as common in Hamilton as it is in Toronto, but I guess not every incident gets reported in the media. I did witness a case of verbal assault that almost got physical on the Parkdale bus at Queenston a few weeks ago...

actually, I'm surprised that HSR didnt put in shields long ago..

the abuse on HSR drivers has been pretty bad for many years, witnessed a LOT when I lived there..

Question for anyone who knows firm details::

Has the final HSR decision on CNIB passes come in, do we pay or not??

Here in Halifax, we dont, except for para-transit..

Fare here currently is $2.25, 90 min transfers, but with a LOT more transfer fraud than hamilton when I lived there, its a everyday thing, for people to come on with wads of transfers, trying to use them, (yes we have different colored Transfers everyday, Also our Ferries use Yellow Transfers, they dont change color..)

HRM is raising transit fare to $2.50 as of Sept, 30..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know when the HSR plans to order the next batch of new buses? Or has there been word of what/how many will be ordered for 2014?

I don't think anything has been budgeted yet. Last rumor was that they're giving a serious look into going back to CNG buses, though.

New electronic displays have gone up at Macnab, one over each platform, however are yet to display any information.

As well, CNIB cardholders will continue to ride on the voluntary pay policy, however riders with four-prong canes must now pay full fare.