Hybrid0920

Hamilton Street Railway

That's why I singled out Metrolinx in my second post.

But on further thought, to your average concert/event-goer returning from Toronto, it's largely academic. The bottom line for most people getting off the Go bus and seeing the tail lights of the last HSR bus of the night disappearing around the corner is that they're going to be extremely pissed off once they realize they're stuck in the lurch. They're not going to care about which agency's fault it is, or who should reschedule what to fix the near miss, they're going to be angry at all of the above and the ones that are able to will eventually start driving because this is the sort of thing that annoys discretionary riders right into their cars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AmanKh said:

1004 also has the same new digital infotainment screen setup as on 1002.

Buses that have the screens are - 1001-1004, 1202 and artic 936. I did see 936 missing one last time though as it was vandalized. 

• Like 1

Have all of the new, New Flyer XN60 buses been delivered? I was by the Upper James yard the other day and it looked like close to a dozen arcs sitting at the top of the hill.

On 4/6/2019 at 12:23 PM, Hamilton said:

Have all of the new, New Flyer XN60 buses been delivered? I was by the Upper James yard the other day and it looked like close to a dozen arcs sitting at the top of the hill.

Yes all 11 XN60’s are on property. 

I Havent saw any new vicinity buses yet though. 

Seems they are behind on orders again. 

Curious about this.

With the 10 year "Rapid Ready" lan that has been ongoing  how woukd the Seevice Review be and different compared to what RR is supposed to to with annual improvements to several routes?

Would this review fir a new HSR network change that?

HSR tests its second electric bus

An electric bus from Proterra is in Hamilton for testing this week, the second model of three that the city will look at as it studies the feasibility of electric buses. HSR began testing electric buses at the beginning of December 2018. The electric bus is not in service, but is shadowing existing buses on a proposed itinerary that provides for different route geography, including three different escarpment crossings, long and short-range route options, different spans of operation to test battery drain, as well as reaching as many different areas of the city that residents may benefit from a less intrusive vehicle. A traditional HSR bus rolls up Hunter Street behind city hall past its innovative cousin. - Barry Gray,The Hamilton Spectator

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9302909-video-hsr-tests-its-second-electric-bus/?utm_source=facebook&source=the hamilton spectator&utm_medium=socialmedia&utm_campaign=800pm&utm_campaign_id=transit&utm_content=video-hsr-tests-its-second-electric-bus

2 hours ago, soo8513 said:

I see that 0520 soldiers on. Today working 11-PARKDALE. Is it truly the last of it's class? 

Yep. Last 0500 in the fleet. Will be gone soon. 

Last rode 0520 on Jan-10-2019 on 23.  was a real nice ride downhill to McNabb .... might outlast some of the younger units

On 3/19/2019 at 1:44 PM, Wonka said:

You don't need an inside source to figure that one out, both the riders and drivers have almost universally despised them since the first of the 2015's arrived. Aside from the lousy ride quality and useless air conditioning though, I don't know if they can convince council that it's worth pulling out of the consortium and paying more to return to New Flyer for regular orders again.

Oh I knew from day one....

On 3/20/2019 at 8:33 AM, Seashore_518203 said:

Well said ! Nothing like starting rumours based on hearsay.

HSR will remain with the consortium. Whoever wins the tender will be what HSR goes with. It will have nothing to do with who likes what. Low bid wins, be it New Flyer, Nova or anybody else who decides to bid.

To h*ll with the low-bid system, that's why we keep getting garbage. This is a waste of tax payer money.

1 hour ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

To h*ll with the low-bid system, that's why we keep getting garbage. This is a waste of tax payer money.

Tell us how you really feel. Don't sugar coat it or anything.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 11:39 AM, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

So you are suggesting we waste more taxpayers money by getting more expensive buses ...🙄

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 9:36 PM, Seashore_518203 said:

So you are suggesting we waste more taxpayers money by getting more expensive buses ...🙄

Pretty sure back in school I had math questions like this. Initial cost v overtime costs. IDK but preferentially im much more partial to the New Flyers myself. Novas sound sick driving past. " VROOOAAAAAAAAAAM, CHOOCHOOCHOO. Seriously, that sounds sick.

7 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

1213.  Someone needs to get it into the shop and fix it up. I felt sorry for the poor lady stuck driving it.

Was changed off for 1116 about 0630. 

On 5/6/2019 at 3:54 AM, Bravo Actual said:

Pretty sure back in school I had math questions like this. Initial cost v overtime costs. IDK but preferentially im much more partial to the New Flyers myself. Novas sound sick driving past. " VROOOAAAAAAAAAAM, CHOOCHOOCHOO. Seriously, that sounds sick.

Not very sure but I think that sound doesn't come from the bus itself, probably the engine or transmission, because those New Flyer XN60s also have that sound.

7 hours ago, FlyingSteven said:

Not very sure but I think that sound doesn't come from the bus itself, probably the engine or transmission, because those New Flyer XN60s also have that sound.

C40LFRs and XN40s, too

7 hours ago, FlyingSteven said:

That fluttering is the CNG pressure release when the operator lifts off the throttle if memory serves me. Those that are more mechanically inclined can would know more than me on this.

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2019 at 4:55 PM, FlyingSteven said:

It's from the cooling fans on the roof. And turbo blow back makes the chugging sound. This is most obvious on routes with highways or hills, just open the rear roof hatch and enjoy. On New Flyers, it's the transmission that makes that whining sound.

On 5/4/2019 at 9:36 PM, Seashore_518203 said:

Yes. Better buses last longer and attract ridership. People (citizens) are more important to me than dollars (bureaucrats).

5 hours ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

It's from the cooling fans on the roof. And turbo blow back makes the chugging sound. This is most obvious on routes with highways or hills, just open the rear roof hatch and enjoy. On New Flyers, it's the transmission that makes that whining sound.

Yes. Better buses last longer and attract ridership. People (citizens) are more important to me than dollars (bureaucrats).

1. No it isn't. As I have explained, the fluttering is the CNG pressure release. It has nothing to do with the cooling fans. All CNG powered buses have that.

2. You obviously don't know how a procurement process works.