Hybrid0920

Hamilton Street Railway

On 11/27/2018 at 12:22 PM, Seashore_518203 said:

To confirm, 11 New Flyer XN60 buses have been ordered for early 2019 delivery. These buses will replace all of the remaining 0600 artics (6 units) as well as 5 40' buses to be determined.

The pilot bus for this order, 1820, was delivered sometime during the Christmas break. It will be followed by the rest of the order in approximately 1 month. It will still be 2-3 months before any enter service.

The main difference with this batch is that there are no seats in the articulation joint, just stanchions. This reduces seating capacity by 2 to 50.

These buses will eventually replace all of the 0610-0615 (DE60LFR) artics.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

The pilot bus for this order, 1820, was delivered sometime during the Christmas break. It will be followed by the rest of the order in approximately 1 month. It will still be 2-3 months before any enter service.

The main difference with this batch is that there are no seats in the articulation joint, just stanchions. This reduces seating capacity by 2 to 50.

These buses will eventually replace all of the 0610-0615 (DE60LFR) artics.

Thank you for the info. Would these also replace the DE41LF series as well? If they are still active.

8 hours ago, SuperNova said:

Would the new Artics have USB charging ports?

Does this answer your question? I think it is safe to assume now that all new buses from this point forward will have them.

IMG_6079.jpg

IMG_6080.jpg

14 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

Does this answer your question? I think it is safe to assume now that all new buses from this point forward will have them.

IMG_6079.jpg

IMG_6080.jpg

Where are they?

9 hours ago, Bravo Actual said:

Where are they?

Under the front edge of the seats. Look for the little black blobs.

Dan

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smallspy said:

Under the front edge of the seats. Look for the little black blobs.

Dan

Oh cool. Hideaways. I'll have to look for them next time I ride.

Is this Envision HSR plan similar to the 10-year improvement strategy?

As far as I understand, the 10 year strategy has planned improvements to some current routes.

Would or could this Envision project change anything to the 10 year strategy?

26 minutes ago, Bravo Actual said:

On 1802 today I noticed there were not any USB plugs under the seats. Did they get removed?

The USB chargers are on the ceiling of the buses. Only the new XN60s have the USB chargers under the seats.

49 minutes ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

So an inside source has told me that HSR isn't too pleased with their Novas. The jist, back to New Flyer for the time being.

Any links or anything to back this up? @Chris W hear anything about this?

On 1002 and there are 2 digital screens that are installed on the driver side, 1 right behind the driver side cabinet and 1 in front of the first row of seats above the stairs.

Only the rear screen is working, and it has pretty clear images, showing adverts for local business, the city, the media company they would've contracted for this (I'm assuming), and also CBC news headlines which is pretty neat.

Would anyone have more info on this pilot/project/roll out and if we could soon see this across the entire system?

6 hours ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

So an inside source has told me that HSR isn't too pleased with their Novas. The jist, back to New Flyer for the time being.

You don't need an inside source to figure that one out, both the riders and drivers have almost universally despised them since the first of the 2015's arrived. Aside from the lousy ride quality and useless air conditioning though, I don't know if they can convince council that it's worth pulling out of the consortium and paying more to return to New Flyer for regular orders again.

13 hours ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

Nothing is confirmed nor is ordered for 2019 from my contact. I want to know where you got your information from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Wonka said:

You don't need an inside source to figure that one out, both the riders and drivers have almost universally despised them since the first of the 2015's arrived. Aside from the lousy ride quality and useless air conditioning though, I don't know if they can convince council that it's worth pulling out of the consortium and paying more to return to New Flyer for regular orders again.

Well said ! Nothing like starting rumours based on hearsay.

HSR will remain with the consortium. Whoever wins the tender will be what HSR goes with. It will have nothing to do with who likes what. Low bid wins, be it New Flyer, Nova or anybody else who decides to bid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

Well said ! Nothing like starting rumours based on hearsay.

But those are the best rumours!

I've got one that I'm getting ready to spring on some friends who live in Hamilton on April 1st:

I'm going to tell them that the scheduling discrepancy between the 16 QEW Express Go bus that is scheduled to arrive at the station in Hamilton at 1:25 AM five minutes after HSR shuts down when the last King/Barton/Cannon buses depart at 1:20 AM has been resolved, and that none of them are going to have to worry about walking across Hamilton in the middle of the night if the Go bus doesn't run faster than scheduled.  Mwuahahahaha.

Actually, on a serious note, when one of them laid out the two schedules side by side to illustrate the problem, I took a look and just groaned.  Both of us work in computers and electronics and have ripped out more than our fair share of hair over microsecond and nanosecond system timing glitches and it the idea that something like this can be out by whole minutes, not work and leave you stranded in the middle of the night, and people are actually ok with letting it slide is just wild.  Transit, that's a totally different industry for sure...

Don't even tease with that rumor. That schedule screw up has made me walk from downtown Hamilton to Barton and Parkdale at least half a dozen times when the last GO bus home from Toronto was my only option after getting out of a show at midnight. Last few times I made sure to have a few extra drinks before I left Toronto just so I could tolerate the almost 2 hour walk when I got back. It's a hell of a walking tour of the lower city at least.

31 minutes ago, Wonka said:

Don't even tease with that rumor. That schedule screw up has made me walk from downtown Hamilton to Barton and Parkdale at least half a dozen times when the last GO bus home from Toronto was my only option after getting out of a show at midnight.

Ok, I knew it would be a good one!

I've gotten snared in that one myself after going to stuff in Toronto and then heading out to Hamilton after and seeing the tail lights of the last HSR bus of the night disappear out of the terminal.  The five minute timing error between schedules that's been there for year is one thing and it's bad enough by itself.  But It's one thing if that five minutes or more have gone by before the Go bus arrives and the two are never in the Hamilton terminal at the same time, but to have the last HSR bus on each of the lines that stop at the terminal take off and leave while the Go bus is pulling up in its stall and passengers are getting off and running across to make their connection is egregiously bad customer service.

43 minutes ago, Wonka said:

Last few times I made sure to have a few extra drinks before I left Toronto just so I could tolerate the almost 2 hour walk when I got back. It's a hell of a walking tour of the lower city at least.

I've seen people trying to negotiate splitting taxis etc. when I've gotten stuck in that mess and other people calling for family or friends to come pick them up or gripe about it and start walking.  I've hoofed it across to the Queenston/Main traffic circle area with one of the guys I play football with a couple of times now.  From my understanding about Barton St from one of my relatives who refers to it as "drug alley", that would be a hell of a walking tour at that time of night indeed.

The whole debacle certainly puts rest to the idea that there's any serious interest in fixing up the "last mile" problem with Go Transit that's causing massive parking demand at Go stations that Metrolinx constantly whines about.  If there was, the simple easy stuff like this would've been fixed years ago.

On 3/19/2019 at 12:53 PM, AmanKh said:

On 1002 and there are 2 digital screens that are installed on the driver side, 1 right behind the driver side cabinet and 1 in front of the first row of seats above the stairs.

Only the rear screen is working, and it has pretty clear images, showing adverts for local business, the city, the media company they would've contracted for this (I'm assuming), and also CBC news headlines which is pretty neat.

Would anyone have more info on this pilot/project/roll out and if we could soon see this across the entire system?

1202 Has them aswell. Dont think anything more will come of it other than the few buses that already have it installed. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I'm going to tell them that the scheduling discrepancy between the 16 QEW Express Go bus that is scheduled to arrive at the station in Hamilton at 1:25 AM five minutes after HSR shuts down when the last King/Barton/Cannon buses depart at 1:20 AM has been resolved, and that none of them are going to have to worry about walking across Hamilton in the middle of the night if the Go bus doesn't run faster than scheduled. 

Normally, I'd say the HSR might want to look at this, but this one is on GO Transit. 1:20 has been the known final departure for decades. If it meant tweaking one HSR bus schedule, fine, but you don't extend several schedules for one connection, you change the single bus schedule, ie. GO 16. There are fourteen(?) departures from downtown at 1:20.
Now, should the HSR run later into the evening? Probably, but that's a different issue.
(BTW, last Cannon bus is at midnight)